PDA

View Full Version : Rhomboid Wrasse Question

MBVette
06/12/2013, 10:37 AM
I picked up a pair (both females) of rhomboids yesterday and put them into my 220. There are a few other fairy wrasses in there (a single exquisite, solon, & lubbocks) When I put them in the exquisite chased around the bigger rhomboid for a bit; but that stopped after a couple minutes. But now I have not seen either of them since about 2 hours after I put them in.

I have searched everywhere they could have possibly jumped from (I have screen tops) but if they jumped into the overflow there is only an egg crate top so they could have jumped. but I cant believe both did that.

Do they hide in the sand or rocks for a few days? I just have not seen a wrasse that is not a sand dweller disappear like this.

Thanks for any help

scuzy
06/12/2013, 10:54 AM
Mine were hiding for a few hours then came out. But I had no fish in my tank originally. 210 with pair of rhomboids and pair of flame wrasse.

evolved
06/12/2013, 10:57 AM
They shouldn't hide in the sand, but they can surely find places to hide in the rocks you can't. I wouldn't worry at this point. However, I would encourage you to consider using an acclimation box in the future when adding additional wrasses to a system which already has some established.

MBVette
06/12/2013, 10:59 AM
I'll look into the acclimation box. The problem with it is that I dont have a lip to hang a box, its an acrylic tank w/ a euro brace so I would need to come up with something to hang the box onto.

scuzy
06/12/2013, 11:01 AM
Look into a acclimate pro it has a small container you can remove to suction out to glass

steelersfan
06/12/2013, 11:24 AM
I'll look into the acclimation box. The problem with it is that I dont have a lip to hang a box, its an acrylic tank w/ a euro brace so I would need to come up with something to hang the box onto.

Excellent acclimation box with suction cups

MBVette
06/12/2013, 12:16 PM
Well my bad feeling came true. Both of them somehow jumped into my overflow and then made it through the strainer and into the sump. One of them died...

scuzy
06/12/2013, 12:31 PM
That sucks I have both my overflow covers with a custom acrylic piece do never really need to worry about that one.

aandfsoccr04
06/12/2013, 12:43 PM
I had a clown jump into the overflow and go down the pipe and it lived in the return section of my sump for several weeks before I found it down there and is back in the tank over a year later doing good as ever.

A few weeks ago I put a cleaner wrasse in the tank that I couldn't find. It also jumped in the overflow and went into the return section of the sump for a little over a week and I put it back in the tank and a week or two later it's still doing fine and carrying on as normal.

Sorry for your bad luck. I put my rhomboid in the tank and it didn't really hide at all. It was one of the first wrasses in my tank though.

reef80
06/12/2013, 07:28 PM
sorry bout your lost. I had the same problems over and over w/ my fishes and decided to go to local hardward store and cut me a piece of plexiglass to cover it...never again did a fish make it in there and I have many jumpers like wrasse and firefishes...

MBVette
06/13/2013, 04:53 AM
Well my overflow is a bit different than most. It does not have teeth and it is an open one (which I have put egg crate on) It was a miscommunication between myself and the tank builder. So the fish just has to go through egg crate and then is in the external overflow box; from there it can get into one of the standpipes.

When I first set the tank up I had a canary blenny go through the overflow, but that was before the egg crate was put up. Since the egg crate is there, I have not have any fish make it into the overflow. So I was surprised and upset to find out both rhomboids did it.