PDA

View Full Version : iodine in fish food.

Scungili
06/12/2013, 02:48 PM
I'm afraid I made a terrible mistake. I haven't used iodine in years and recently had a moorish idol come down with fin rot. His appetite was diminished a few day ago, but with heavy feeding, it's returned and his energy is high. However, the fin rot seems steady and slightly exacerbated.

In a moment of pure stupidity, I added a few drops of iodine to some rinsed and drained mysis. The exact amount must have been less than 3ml and there was probably 10ml of seawater in the cup. The amount of Iodine each mysis absorbed I cannot say, but they were colored a light brown when I dumped them in the tank. The cube of mysis was a homemade chunk about 10ml in volume.

I hope I didn't just poison my fish. Anyone know the lethal dose and signs of Iodine poisoning?

Thanks, Dan

Scungili
06/16/2013, 07:35 PM
Ok, it turned out to be non-lethal. For those that are concerned (at this moment 0), the fin rot has officially reversed itself, and my Moorish Idol is making a recovery.

What I did...

Feeding, as much as he would eat; mysis and nori soaked in crushed garlic.

I did feed mysis soaked in a few drops of Iodine, but I wouldn't recommend this, however, for science sake, I must report that I did with no visual ill effects.

Water changes; 30 gal out of 200 gal x 2.

Additions of bacteria from Dr. Tim's

I would say that it was a combination of all. I did notice a healthy change in my tank since the addition of bacteria. I believe my corals are suffering from a type of Vibrio since I have bleaching with no other changes in water quality or light. I will report how the bacteria additions alter my corals and fish in coming future.

I will also recommend that if you fish are eating, don't try to catch them and drug them with antibiotics, just continue to feed heavily, change water and filters daily, add bacteria. Thanks to this, I saved my little buddy of five years and going!

knight2255
06/16/2013, 08:54 PM
Good to hear your idol is doing better.

Just wondering, is he in a mixed reef? I'm thinking of getting one.

Do you feed with a an automatic feeder?