PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe fish that eats Majanos?

WayneL333
06/13/2013, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone,

So I've got Majanos in my SPS dominate tank. I'm looking for a reef safe fish that will take care of them. I also have two large clams in my tank too. Can you guys suggest a fish that will leave my corals and clams alone but will eat the Majanos? Maybe a Pyramid Butterfly? Personal experience recommendations would be great!

Thank you in advance.

SDguy
06/13/2013, 09:50 AM
My matted filefish eats them. Didn't bother any corals either. YMMV.

WayneL333
06/13/2013, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah. I tried the matted filefish already. The problem is I heavily feed my tank and the filefish just ate the fish food and left everything else alone.

Did you also feed your tank heavily? I'm wondering if I just had a filefish who didn't eat Majanos.

SDguy
06/13/2013, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah. I tried the matted filefish already. The problem is I heavily feed my tank and the filefish just ate the fish food and left everything else alone.

Did you also feed your tank heavily? I'm wondering if I just had a filefish who didn't eat Majanos.

That's a tough one, because I don't see how that wouldn't be a problem for any fish you choose. But yeah, I fed pretty heavily.

Eville
06/13/2013, 02:12 PM
I've tried the matted file fish as well and he definitely took out my anemones that I didn't want.. He also left with my zoas but partially my fault because I backed off on feeding intentionally so he would eat the anemones.. Luckily I caught him early and they grew back just fine. Just IME though, most people don't have problems with them. Have you tried peppermint shrimp?

WayneL333
06/13/2013, 06:21 PM
I've tried the matted file fish as well and he definitely took out my anemones that I didn't want.. He also left with my zoas but partially my fault because I backed off on feeding intentionally so he would eat the anemones.. Luckily I caught him early and they grew back just fine. Just IME though, most people don't have problems with them. Have you tried peppermint shrimp?

Yeah I did. I used to have an aiptasia problem too but the peppermint shrimp took care of that.

ca1ore
06/13/2013, 07:33 PM
I had an Asfur angel in my prior 180 exclusively to rid the tank of a Majano problem. He did that very well, but also ate every Zooanthid is sight. Never touched clams, big softies, LPS or SPS. Beautiful fish, but expensive these days.

WayneL333
06/13/2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah, big angels scare. Unless I can find a proven one, the others like the taste of corals and clams too much.

64Ivy
06/14/2013, 04:59 AM
I once had a Muelleri Copperband that ate them.

WayneL333
06/14/2013, 07:29 AM
I once had a Muelleri Copperband that ate them.

OoO...that's a nice fish.

SDguy
06/14/2013, 08:44 AM
A local had a CBB that would eat them too, but I haven't heard of too many other cases like that. Muelleri might be a good choice... neat fish too. I'm seeing more aussie stuff lately, so hopefully you can find one.

ca1ore
06/14/2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah, big angels scare. Unless I can find a proven one, the others like the taste of corals and clams too much.

A risk no question. In the tank in question, I had an exceptionally well behaved Red Sea Regal who apparently learned bad behavior from the
Asfur and became an avid consumer of Zoos.

aquaph8
06/14/2013, 06:16 PM
A local had a CBB that would eat them too, but I haven't heard of too many other cases like that. Muelleri might be a good choice... neat fish too. I'm seeing more aussie stuff lately, so hopefully you can find one.

I hope your right, I ve been on the hunt :)

Eville
06/14/2013, 08:07 PM
If you didn't plan on keeping a CBB long term, and just for the removal of the anemones you could temporarily relocate the clams if you're worried about them being safe. I haven't personally had issues with clams and cbbs, but I have heard of them being problematic

roni
06/14/2013, 08:58 PM
pair of matted filefish took care of my problem. I feed a lot (6-8 cubes a day) + nori. They still destroyed the majanos. In my LPS tank, they unfortunately wiped out my zoos when I neglected that tank and didn't feed over a week's time.

Never touched SPS or clams.