PDA

View Full Version : Sharks min tank size

Fishareawesome
06/14/2013, 09:07 AM
I had seen a lot of people saying that a black banded carpet shark (sometimes wrongly called a black banded catshark) can go in a 180 tank but I don't see how a 4ft shark can live in a 6ft tank. I had also seen eppies (what about a PGY)and true catsharks are good. I wanted to know the min tank size for all these fish when they are fully grown.

griseum
06/14/2013, 10:04 AM
That's why there is a search engine.

Sorry for the sarcasm but you aren't the first to ask these questions. And even though it is a carpet shark, you still got the name wrong, even tho it's just a common name and what truly matters is scientific taxonomic names. I believe you refer to Chiloscyllium punctatum or Brown Banded Bamboo shark.

Besides some of the cold water temperate catsharks that are tiny, no shark should spend its entire life in a 6'x2' tank

MrTuskfish
06/14/2013, 10:44 AM

Amen.

G4546
06/14/2013, 01:44 PM

Sorry for the sarcasm but you aren't the first to ask these questions. And even though it is a carpet shark, you still got the name wrong, even tho it's just a common name and what truly matters is scientific taxonomic names. I believe you refer to Chiloscyllium punctatum or Brown Banded Bamboo shark.

Besides some of the cold water temperate catsharks that are tiny, no shark should spend its entire life in a 6'x2' tank

Amen.

:thumbsup:

A Reef Scene
06/14/2013, 02:22 PM
I have a client with a 1200, and said no sharks ever as long as my company maintains the tank.

Fishareawesome
06/16/2013, 11:59 PM
With all due respect,

What my daughter (10) was really asking was for clarification over the huge amount of discrepancies in opinions and information available on proper husbandry of sharks. She actually has done more research (and not just reading forums) on the animals she cares for than from 99% of the customers I helped (okay tried to help) working for several years at a LFS... and she’s asking the questions before she goes out and buys the animal and then comes out and cries for help when it’s not doing well.

Of course clearing up discrepancies is pretty rare in this (or any) forum!

Secondly, the search engine wasn’t working properly the day she posted. She tried!

After much research we are still considering a Coral Catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) as we feel it would be best suited of any of the Elasmobranchs. The LPS believes they have a source of captive bred species that become available at least once a year and they believe strongly that 180 gal will work perfectly for a single Atelomycterus marmoratus with proper filtration, tank layout and only a few tankmates.
Forums are meant for people who either have questions or people that want to share their opinion. If you want to share your opinion, go for it, but what I would really love to hear is anyone with personal experience with this species.

Thanks in advance!

mikem101
06/17/2013, 01:17 AM
After much research we are still considering a Coral Catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) as we feel it would be best suited of any of the Elasmobranchs. The LPS believes they have a source of captive bred species that become available at least once a year and they believe strongly that 180 gal will work perfectly for a single Atelomycterus marmoratus with proper filtration, tank layout and only a few tankmates.
Forums are meant for people who either have questions or people that want to share their opinion. If you want to share your opinion, go for it, but what I would really love to hear is anyone with personal experience with this species.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, here is my 2 cents. 180 IMO is no way big enough to keep a shark there is 2 key points in shark keeping 1. Rounded edges on a tank some people say not needed with a cat shark but it definitely is, the other is length of tank. To keep a shark you need something 4x body length full grown as a good rule. Most 180's are 6ft long you would need something about 9 feet or longer to house this guy happily. Also substrate and tank mates are a huge thing with these guys, but as you said you have done your research. I’m not saying it’s not possible (cause I’m sure you could keep on alive) but it is going to be small for that guy. Even coral cat fish are going to require rounded corners as to not bump their nose on the edges. JMO but I would go a different route in the tank!
Hope this helps guys!

P.S. it’s awesome to have your daughter in the hobby with you we need a young generation of reefers!

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 05:44 AM
blue zoo aquatics suggest 150 gallon tank is more than suitable for Atelomycterus marmoratus (coral cat shark). so do i, but you will find many on here disagree.

Meanmike
06/17/2013, 06:02 AM
Why would any intelligent person think its ok to put a 4' shark in a 6' x 2' tank!? That's like wiping before you poop it don't make any darn sense! No experience is needed to see how silly that is.

I do understand it was a child that initially asked and for a 10 year old it was not a silly question.

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 06:18 AM
Dr. Foster and Smith at Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo Aquatics seem to disagree with you on this point. Maybe they know something we don't. i keep these sharks and they do quite well in my tank. oh, i also used my search engine

griseum
06/17/2013, 07:21 AM
They are also trying to SELL sharks, not scare their potential customers. I just adopted two coral cats and two brown banded bamboos out of a 180. They are no where near full grown but still all over two feet long. If you saw them In the 180 at that size and didn't think they needed an upgrade than you shouldnt be keeping living creatures. Look at my videos and tell me if they look more comfortable than in 6'x2' or 12sq. Feet!!

griseum
06/17/2013, 07:27 AM
I'm so tired of people trying to claim that their smaller tanks are adequate for the few animals in this hobby that can actually weigh 5-10 pounds! That's a lot of biomass. And you'd like to argue that your smaller tank is adequate. I think it's more of you trying to convince yourself that it's healthy than trying to convince those of us with more experience and who know its wrong. I'm outta this thread for good.

Grubbelmuz
06/17/2013, 08:29 AM
Well dont you want your animal to have some sort of comfort in his home?

You coud live in a closet for the rest of your life but i woud recomend something bigger..

Fishareawesome
06/17/2013, 09:44 AM
Seems like one of the key issues in this particular debate (i.e. can you keep Atelomycterus marmoratus happy, healthly and in optimum condition in a standard 180) is what the maxium size is of a mature Atelomycterus marmoratus in captivity?

We have ruled out essentially all other sharks other than Atelomycterus marmoratus (Coral Cat Shark) or the Marbled Cat Shark (Atelomycterus Macleayi) because no other tropical shark is reported to stay under 24" The LPS (and yes I know they, like all retailers are more likely to fudge on minimum size requirements) stated that these particular sharks will max out closer to 20" in our tank. I'll need to push them a little harder on that but maybe because it's a captive raised brood? Maybe they just got lucky and are selecting the traits they want the most in their breeding pairs (i.e. breed only the smallest matures specieces)? Maybe they are just trying to make a buck but I do have a good relationship with the LPS and so far they have earned the benfit of the doubt. I'm going to try to see if they can send a picutre of the breeding pairs to see how big they are. Not very confident I will be sucessful though.

So no, we will not keep Eppies (Hemiscyllium ocellatum), or Horns (Heterodontidae) or Bamboo Sharks (i.e. banded cat sharks or any of the Genus Chiloscyllium) because even 3' is too big for a 180. But a 20-24" shark no wider than a Zebra Moray (Gymnomuraena zebra) in a tank specifically designed around his/her needs still seems feasible to acheive optimal conditions.

I agree a rounded tank would be best but we are designing the aquascape to best "round" the corners using macro algae and live rock and leaving plenty of open space on the bottom of tank with ledges, etc.

And yes, we understand there are alot of differing opinions on adequate size recommendations, and yes we expected a lot of push back, but thats why we are asking. Lay it on us. We've got months to decide and want to make sure that if we do decide that we are as confident as possible in our abilities to properly care for this magnificant creature.

So, anyone out there with first hand experience on how large the Atelomycterus marmoratus grew to in your tank, your friends tanks, your LFS's tank? If so, can you share any details into age, size of tank, etc?

Thanks again!

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 10:03 AM
Five years old i know of and shes pushing 22 inch. my zebra moray is about the same age and shes longer but not as thick. anyone else ?

Fishareawesome
06/17/2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jimmy! What size tank are you housing her in? Can I ask what other tankmates she has?

Fishareawesome
06/17/2013, 10:30 AM
one other question if you don't mind: Do you think she has maxed out at 22" i.e. has it been a steady grow to 22" and then stopped/tapered off or is she still growing at 5+ years?

Thanks again, very valuable to hear other peoples experiences!

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 10:41 AM
my tank is 36 inch x 48 inch x 20 inch i believe its a 150 gallon. i keep in that tank 1 x coral cat shark. 1 x zebra eel. 1 x emperor angel. i have other tanks 36x48x15 that have baby sharks i order in from indo/red sea but i don't keep them long they sell quick. i have never seen these giant coral cat sharks people on here talk about. i have never seen one much bigger than 24 inch. i have seen many large angles/triggers/tangs in 150 gallon and man these guys can outgrow this size tank in a few years

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 10:47 AM
i believe she would have grown to her max 24-26 inch if she was in the wild. they grow quite quick to 15-18-20-22 inches then stop. you can actually give them a belly rub lol. cool animals to keep. a good mate is the zebra eel as they are not as aggressive as other eels.

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 10:51 AM
i would like a link to see the video of these extra large coral sharks please. i clicked on your name Griseum and found no links to any video of any 4ft shark.

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 10:56 AM
Why would any intelligent person think its ok to put a 4' shark in a 6' x 2' tank!? That's like wiping before you poop it don't make any darn sense! No experience is needed to see how silly that is.

I do understand it was a child that initially asked and for a 10 year old it was not a silly question.

nobody said anything about wiping before you poop or anything about a 4 ft shark. i did have a nurse shark onese. that was in the 80,s in a 280 gallon. lol, she out grew that in a hurry. she went to Edmonton Mall i believe. never again will i keep a nurse shark.

mikem101
06/17/2013, 05:43 PM
I had done a ton of looking into this, and I’m not saying what I found is 100% when I say this. I contacted a couple companies and asked about these requirements and, yes they stated 150-180 gallons is adequate water volume. They also specified in a shallow tank (which isn’t on the website) I suggested they add that to the info on the page as a shallow 150 is normally 6ft long (which I still think is kind of small for these guys). Also I’m not saying your wrong or right jimmy cause I don’t think anyone can in this hobby, but there is plenty of people that can keep large fish alive in smaller tanks (as proof in the HKFM style of fish keeping) the argument is, is the fish in the best home it could be in. If a 3 or 4 ft tank for a 2 ft shark it could literally only swim one body’s length turn around and do the same? I really like these discussions because I think this is how people learn so I love hearing everyone’s thoughts. Also I think its awesome you guys are doing your research before making the purchase. IMO its better safe then sorry when dealing with the life of an animal so, if its even a question that the tank might be to small I would pass it up and look for another option since there are SOOO many in this hobby. Not passing judgment just respectfully disagreeing with keeping them in a tank that small.

PS HKFM is Hong Kong fish market I didn’t know what the abbreviation was at first lol!

Fishareawesome
06/17/2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your opinion and stating it as respectively as you have. Like I said we are still doing our research (currently trying to read the entire Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual for public aquariums :reading: ) but we very much appreciate your advice!

:fish1: peace

alprazo
06/17/2013, 08:33 PM
I think I addressed some of the size issues in the shark primer. Maybe not, but most of the points in this thread have been discussed multiple times over.

The only thing I would add, which I have said before but I don't think you will find elsewhere. Having had both cat sharks, typical bamboos and epaulettes, the epaulette would be best suited for a small rectangular tank. Cats and bamboos are swimming sharks. They do not navigate well backward, and have difficulties getting stuck in corners and rock work. This is where the eppie excels. The eppies also tend to walk instead of swim which makes banging into walls and rock less common. The coral cats are very active at night a spend a fair amount of time swimming. The also frenzy much more violently when food enters the water. The PNG eppie is the smallest available in the trade but IMO still too big for you setup.

Now some of the cold water cats would do well in your tank. Captive bred chain cats are available and really the only sharks I could recommend for your tank. If serious about keeping sharks In a tank that size, all you have to do is invest in a chiller.

Good luck with your research. Glad to see someone doing their homework.

jimmy frag
06/17/2013, 08:44 PM
:thumbsup:I had done a ton of looking into this, and I’m not saying what I found is 100% when I say this. I contacted a couple companies and asked about these requirements and, yes they stated 150-180 gallons is adequate water volume. They also specified in a shallow tank (which isn’t on the website) I suggested they add that to the info on the page as a shallow 150 is normally 6ft long (which I still think is kind of small for these guys). Also I’m not saying your wrong or right jimmy cause I don’t think anyone can in this hobby, but there is plenty of people that can keep large fish alive in smaller tanks (as proof in the HKFM style of fish keeping) the argument is, is the fish in the best home it could be in. If a 3 or 4 ft tank for a 2 ft shark it could literally only swim one body’s length turn around and do the same? I really like these discussions because I think this is how people learn so I love hearing everyone’s thoughts. Also I think its awesome you guys are doing your research before making the purchase. IMO its better safe then sorry when dealing with the life of an animal so, if its even a question that the tank might be to small I would pass it up and look for another option since there are SOOO many in this hobby. Not passing judgment just respectfully disagreeing with keeping them in a tank that small.

PS HKFM is Hong Kong fish market I didn’t know what the abbreviation was at first lol!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fishareawesome
06/18/2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks Alprazo, your primer was a perfect starting point for our research!

Thanks for the clarification on the PNG Eppie (Hemiscyllium hallstromi). We are also researching the Speckled Epaulette Shark (Hemiscyllium trispeculare) as possibilities as both are smaller members of the Hemiscylliidae family that are available from breeders. The extra size compared to Atelomycterus spp. is certainly is a consideration but I hear you on the mobility issue. We were lucky enough to talk to a biologist at the TN Aquarium recently (they have an Eppie (Hemiscyllium ocellatum) breeding program) and he echo'ed that they are possibily the best species for small (relatively) home aquariums because they don't really swim.

They did think that a PROPERLY designed 180 would be a fine home for a single Ocellatum however. So sorry to :deadhorse1:, but you can see why there are so many repeat posts on shark husbandry questions!

I now this is a long shot, but have you (or anyone) had any expereince with the Bali Catshark (Atelomycterus baliensis)? I've found a breeder who may have pups in the next 6 months and from a shear size perspective (max length of about 18") seems like an "ideal" candiate, but not sure if a 18" mobile shark is a better choice than a 27" "tank walker"?

Thanks as always!

jimmy frag
06/18/2013, 12:30 PM
yes i have had many, i believe they dont get more than 20 inch. they do have lots of teeth, feeding by hand you will see. i have had some jumpers of this species and will put that down as temperature, will not tolerate neer 78. just my experience. i know they breed well in the aquarium, we had a guy up here selling them for years but don't know if he still breeds. i use to get 10 per box from Indo and believe they are still readily available.

Zoodiver
06/18/2013, 03:18 PM
Dr. Foster and Smith at Live Aquaria and Blue Zoo Aquatics seem to disagree with you on this point. Maybe they know something we don't. i keep these sharks and they do quite well in my tank. oh, i also used my search engine

I want to touch on this one a bit. Foster and Smith rarely post information for ADULTS of a species. They post tank volume for the particular animals for sale at that time. I have also rarely seen pet trade sites/books give good info on elasmo husbandry. It's a sad, but true problem in that industry. You best source of shark info is people who keep them well or the Elasmobranch Husbandry Guide.

One thing to consider is tank shape not just volume. If you have a 180 gallons in a long flat tank - it makes a perfect home for coral or marbled catsharks. 180 gallon column is a terrible home. The other thing to consider with coral or marbled cats is that they do best in groups. Keeping a sinlge one can work, but they thrive more in groups of three or more.

Fishareawesome
06/18/2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks ZooDiver, it is a standard flat 180 (6 X 2 X 2) and would be aquascaped to make sure they would have the maximum swimming area and plenty of fine sand beds to sleep on.

Was not aware of the community aspect of these sharks. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Jimmy, so is Atelomycterus baliensis a deep water fish then? I'm more than a little confused about your comment about temperature (although being confused is a common occurance!!)? From the little scienticifc literature available they seem to overlap with most of the other indonesian cats are are assumed to inhabit the same shallow reefs.

The "guy up here" that breeds them (or at least did) hatched the eggs at 78 degrees but of course that could just be the speed up the hatching process.

I appreciate you sharing your experience.

peace

alprazo
06/18/2013, 09:14 PM
Couple points.

If you live in Canada, I would buy the baii's from Chris. It is a recently described species. I'm pretty sure Chris is one of the first, if only to work with breeding this species. I know of a juvi pair in NY, but it will be sometime. They are tropical and do well at warm temps. If not native to Canada, crossing the border has been a problem.

He lost his female trispeculare some time ago. I imported 5 pups into the US about 18 months ago. There are some still floating around in the us and Canada if you are lucky to find one. I hate to tell you that my female speckled Eppie is 34 inches and has no place in a 180, 240, etc...

The supply for PNGs has dried up. Maybe there are some captive bred programs in the US, but I'm not aware of any. One on a board some time ago actually had ocellatum. I am working on a supplier, it has not been easy.

I still say your best bet is the Chain Cat.

Last thing to remark upon zoo divers comment. He is absolutely correct. Live aquaria lists the tank size for the size specimens they sell. I have seen them offer full grown eppies and increase the tank size for them. What you read is not for the life of the animal.

Fishareawesome
06/19/2013, 12:38 AM
The Chain Cat is one "cool" fish...:lolspin: but even they seem difficult to obtain and a chiller is probably not an option at the moment.

Fate may very well dictate whether we end up with an Elasmobranch (sorry, I just like saying Elasmobranch :rolleye1: ) at all as we have certainly narrowed it done to only a very few species still up for consideration and none are available regularly.

Jimmy, if you have any info about anyone with Bali's (Atelomycterus baliensis), especially any tank raised, I would really appreciate you sharing that info with me. Send me a PM if you want.

Going to be out of town for several days and not likely to check in for a while but wanted to thank everyone for their input and for sharing their experiences; especially since many of these questions have been asked many times before. The dialogue helps bring up as many new questions as it answers but I think that’s a good thing. In the end you may not agree with the decision we make, but I hope you can see the decision will not be made lightly.

peace

jimmy frag
06/19/2013, 06:00 AM
you are correct Alprazo, Chris in Toronto. His web site is http://www.benthicsharks.ca/contact/ Yes these shARKS are reef sharks, i did not mean to sugests otherwize when i said i had a couple jumpers. i just put it down as a temperature thing as i saw no other reason for the jump. Good luck on your search Fishareawsome. i put a email through to Chris about his breeding project. When i hear back from him i will post and share the info. Jimmy

griseum
06/19/2013, 10:19 AM
I applaud you for being so open minded. Most people have their minds made up matter what advice they are offered. As for jumping, the three species of tropical cat sharks are the most active of the "benthic" sharks. Their lack of size is made up for with more activity and swimming. If the aquarium isn't long enough for them to comfortably swim and isn't covered they will jump. Tank mates and being startled can cause jumping too. As well as stray current or metal in or near the aquarium.

Tropicorium I believe has breeding programs still with H ocellatum pups available.

jimmy frag
06/19/2013, 10:47 AM
I applaud you for being so open minded. Most people have their minds made up matter what advice they are offered. As for jumping, the three species of tropical cat sharks are the most active of the "benthic" sharks. Their lack of size is made up for with more activity and swimming. If the aquarium isn't long enough for them to comfortably swim and isn't covered they will jump. Tank mates and being startled can cause jumping too. As well as stray current or metal in or near the aquarium.

Tropicorium I believe has breeding programs still with H ocellatum pups available.
my Epaulette Shark and Banded Shark are in the same system so i ruled out all you have suggested leading me to conclude temp, but again thats just a guess.

griseum
06/19/2013, 03:11 PM
Temp doesn't make a shark jump from the tank. As i stated, having worked with temperate catsharks in public aquarium settings like S. retifer as well as dozens of sub tropical and tropical catsharks on my own systems, they are more active swimmers. Without enough swimming room, they will hurl themselves up and out of the aquarium.

griseum
06/19/2013, 03:33 PM
And my applause was for fishareawesome. He took the time to listen to people and heed their advice and admitted it might not be feasible for him to keep a shark.

You on the other hand keep three sharks apparently in a 150 gallon tank and proclaim to sell these sharks and to have had quite a few jumpers. I wonder how many people with inadequate tanks and poor husbandry practices you've sold sharks to as well? And you remain hostile and defensive and are ready to argue with everyone because you know best.

And as far as my videos, they are all over this sub-forum.

jimmy frag
06/19/2013, 07:19 PM
dont care for an applause today, tomorrow or the next day. didnt assume you sent one my way. I,v been keeping sharks since the 80,s and not interested in your opinion on your limited experience. i have seen your set up (video) and had quite a good laugh. never did i say i keep or kept three sharks in a 150 gallon tank, my set up consists of well over 1500 gallons and an 8 inch shark wasn't jumping because of a inadequate tank, 4x3 is more than adequate for this type of shark i refer to. how on this earth would you know who i sell to and what type of systems these people keep and who are you to say whats adequate or isn't. ya i guess you may assume i get hostile depending on how you read my typing but that may just be my personality, its me being straight forward and a no bull kinda guy. the OP, not you asked for advice. i have loads of experience with sharks (of the previous mentioned) that i chose to share with him. You have been firm on your opinion/experience that the shark in question requires 1000 plus gallons and i say different.iv been doing this hobby/business long enough to have my say. cheers, Jimmy .

jimmy frag
06/19/2013, 07:22 PM
Temp doesn't make a shark jump from the tank. As i stated, having worked with temperate catsharks in public aquarium settings like S. retifer as well as dozens of sub tropical and tropical catsharks on my own systems, they are more active swimmers. Without enough swimming room, they will hurl themselves up and out of the aquarium. and yes a to high a temperature will indeed be a cause of a jumper, thats just a no brainer.

jimmy frag
06/19/2013, 07:35 PM
got a reply from Chris in Toronto today, he is still breeding these sharks with success. quote .....Hi Jim,

I appreciate the interest in my sharks. I attached a picture of my tropical species that are available.

I will have more A. baliensis hatching in about a month for 250 ea.
Hemiscyllium trispeculare 650
Pseudoginglymostoma brevicaudatum 1200

I also have Scyliorhinus tokubee 300 that I keep at 68f.

FYI, you would likely be interested to check out our forum sharkraycentral.com. You need to register to access the site.

Cheers,

alprazo
06/19/2013, 08:04 PM
Chris A ranks at the top when it comes to elasmobranch enthusiasts. Having bought specs and STNs from him, I would not hesitate to buy again if it were not for the border issues. Getting them across is a thread in itself for another time. I know the TN Aquarium had success recently so there is a way if you are motivated and live in the US. Can't give enough praise.

jimmy frag
06/19/2013, 08:17 PM
have received another reply from Chris today.....quote. No problem. For a newly hatched Bali cat, I would stick to a tank that is under 10 gallons. I gave a 5 gallon and they graduate to a 35. This will make feeding easier for you both. A small tank like that I would have attached to a larger system to maintain water parameters. As adults a tank over 200 gallons long would work.

alprazo
06/19/2013, 08:23 PM
Yes, neonates should be kept is a small tank. Much easier to control feeding. You need to suction out uneaten food with an airline tube. I use a 40 gallon breeder. These are really small so a 10 should be perfect until they aggressive eat and find all food.

griseum
06/20/2013, 07:09 AM
Chris A is doing amazing things with benthic sharks! His website is great too as is SRC

Jimmy- Apologies for my last post. I shouldn't be attacking anyones experience, aquariums or character. If its been working for you for a long time then it must be right.

Ive worked at too many stores that peddled sharks too people with no experience and inadequate tanks. I feel like I need to defend these animals.

Hatchlings and juveniles will get lost in larger tanks. Right now I have sub-adult cat sharks in smaller breeder tanks inline with my system . as Alprazo said it easier to target feed and remove uneaten food.

As far as temp and jumping, you are right in one sense. Subtropical sharks kept at tropical temps become extremely hyper as their metabolism sky rockets. This could cause excessive swimming and perhaps jumping. But A. baliensis is a true tropical cat shark. I don't know. As said, its newly described and Chris A would be the authority on these facts.
Cheers

jimmy frag
06/20/2013, 09:11 AM
Cheers to you Griseum, apologies to you for being forceful on my beliefs

Zoodiver
06/20/2013, 03:54 PM
I totally forgot about SRC. I can barely keep up with the shark section on MFK. I'll have to drop by again.

G4546
06/21/2013, 03:44 PM
my tank is 36 inch x 48 inch x 20 inch i believe its a 150 gallon. i keep in that tank 1 x coral cat shark. 1 x zebra eel. 1 x emperor angel.

shes pushing 22 inch.

Seems to be just enough room to turn around toes to nose :(

my Epaulette Shark and Banded Shark are in the same system

That is a confusing statement. It could lead one to believe you did have them all in a 150. No need for hostility to clear it up though :)

I,v been keeping sharks since the 80,s and not interested in your opinion on your limited experience. i have seen your set up (video) and had quite a good laugh.

That's quite rude and mean to say.

ya i guess you may assume i get hostile depending on how you read my typing but that may just be my personality

:facepalm:

---
Let's keep it a learning environment here. The OP is doing a lot of research and really is interested in getting into elasmobranchs! When we derail the thread with hateful remarks, no one wins. Thank you G and Alprazo for your input and information, this is a hobby where you never stop learning... As Zoo probably knows best, seeing from that sweet avatar pic! :) Keep it positive.

jimmy frag
06/21/2013, 10:39 PM
Seems to be just enough room to turn around toes to nose :(

That is a confusing statement. It could lead one to believe you did have them all in a 150. No need for hostility to clear it up though :)

That's quite rude and mean to say.

:facepalm:

---
Let's keep it a learning environment here. The OP is doing a lot of research and really is interested in getting into elasmobranchs! When we derail the thread with hateful remarks, no one wins. Thank you G and Alprazo for your input and information, this is a hobby where you never stop learning... As Zoo probably knows best, seeing from that sweet avatar pic! :) Keep it positive.
what ever rocks your tank dude, all theses replies/posts that you disapprove of from me. we all get to have our own say based on our own experience. who are you to say . whats your point. you calling me out on something ?

Zoodiver
06/27/2013, 11:40 AM
I'm going out of a limb here, but his point may be that a lot of your posts are misleading and belittling. Forums like this should be kept to a positive note and encouraging good practices instead of taking a negative tone towards improper care. We are all here to share what works in real world situtations in order for others who share our passion to be successful with thier own livestock (sharks in this case). Nobody enjoys dealing with a self proclaimed expert.

Andystl
06/27/2013, 11:52 AM
I'm going out of a limb here, but his point may be that a lot of your posts are misleading and belittling. Forums like this should be kept to a positive note and encouraging good practices instead of taking a negative tone towards improper care. We are all here to share what works in real world situtations in order for others who share our passion to be successful with thier own livestock (sharks in this case). Nobody enjoys dealing with a self proclaimed expert.

This.

danimallaminad
10/16/2013, 09:19 PM
Hey fishareawesome I just found and read this thread and was wondering if you ever got a shark, and if so hows it doing?

Fishareawesome
10/17/2013, 05:36 AM
ironically, the Bali Catshark eggs are arriving today or tmw! wish me luck

Zoodiver
10/17/2013, 07:51 AM
Good luck with them. Keep us posted.

stk731
10/17/2013, 05:15 PM
just build a pond in your basement thats all the room your shark will need

danimallaminad
10/18/2013, 06:45 PM
Haha weird timing. Good luck with the sharks? how many eggs are you getting? and what size tank did you go with? just wondering, i eventually want to setup a shark tank too.

erndog1001
01/28/2014, 01:00 PM
Wow some very ...ummmm ...Lively discussions here lol Ok so i guess I'll toss in my 2 cents. I agree that all sharks need a very large volume of water and space to move around.
That being said. When I see them for sale in my LFS. I just know there's a fair chance that some fool with a 90-100 gal tank might try to squeeze that poor animal in there bc he wants to be "cool" to his friends.
Now IMHO My tank is borderline (400 gal 6'X5'6"X16.5")big enough for full grown Banded Cat Shark. Which is what I recently purchased.He's just a baby and I know he's going to get very large in a couple of years. But the way I see it Thats time enough for me to
1. Build him a very large tank
or
2. Find someone who has one big enough.
Until then he can get fat and happy at my house lol

Zoodiver
01/29/2014, 06:27 AM
Full grown the brown banded bamboo shark Chiloscyllium punctatum (mislabled as a catshark, banded cat, black banded cat etc....) can be 4 feet. I'd say your tank is good to raise one, but not for life.

Another point (not directed to anyone specifically) I want to bring up is the idea of getting rid of the shark prior to being full grown. It's not a good practice to start buying animals you can't care for through out the entire life. Very rarely to people or facilities want to be taking on adult sharks from an unknown source. It's an ongoing problem that I deal with on a weekly basis. Exactly as described above, someone buys it because they fell in love with the idea of owning a shark - without really understanding what it takes or having the ability to care for it properly.

sharkkeeper1
05/02/2014, 01:57 PM

Coral Catsharks max out at under 2.75 feet, so stop trying to give bad info. If you want the right stuff, study sharks for 10 years like I did, and continue until you've got your answer. BTW, it would need 8*4, roughly 480 gallons.

krj-1168
07/24/2014, 09:37 PM
Honestly I don't trust the minimum tank size recommendations from online websites that sale sharks. As most tend to be way too small - and at best are only suited for keeping juveniles of those species.

The true minimums for the adult benthic sharks are usually at least 2.5-3 times greater than these "recommendations".

Here's a better guide of the minimum tank/pond size for benthic sharks, IMO.

Small Catsharks like the Izu Catshark (maximum length of ~16 inches) can be bred in a standard 180 gallon tank.

Catsharks like the Coral Catshark (maximum length ~ 28 inches) needs at tank of over 400 gallons to breed in, or live well in for it's entire natural life.

A smaller Hemiscyllidae species like - a PNG Eppie or a Arabian Bamboo (which tend to max out at about 28-30 inches), need at tank or pond with of at least 400 gallons.

A large Bamboo or Epaulette Shark like the Brown banded Bamboo or the Ocellated Eppie (which max out at ~ 3.5-4 feet) really need a tank or pond that is at least 750 gallons(900-1,000 gallons would be better), to live well for their entire lives.