PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't sure which forum to go to... peppermint shrimp question

Colts2Broncos
06/15/2013, 05:05 PM
So I got and get two really awesome trochous snails. The suction they have is unreal. Acclimated them and went to put them in the tank and one was sucked up to the other. The land on the sand bed and I turned around to set the bag on the counter, turned back to get in the tank to get them separated and placed by the glass and I'll be a SOB if a peppermint shrimp hadn't run over and ripped the one clean out of it's shell within 5 seconds. Now these shrimp are fed silversides and always have other stuff to eat, yet they just HAD to kill this snail. If I could have gotten to them he'd have been a cocktail. I felt good when the engineer goby jumped in and snatched it our of the peppermint shrimps claws. Still hated to lose the snail :(

Anyone else ever seen or heard of anything like this happening???

kylathwe
06/15/2013, 07:40 PM
I've never had a shrimp attack a snail before, interesting.

greg1786
06/15/2013, 07:51 PM
I had two peppermint shrimp rip apart a starfish, two rbtas, a plate coral and a frogspawn in one week. They now reside in my sump. Little bastards

Colts2Broncos
06/15/2013, 08:14 PM
Kylathwe... thats what the pets store said that we bought the snails from...

Greg... I'm with you bud, it was the fastest murder I ever saw. And they keep crawling all over my wall hammers and aggravating them to they won't fully open. I wish this was Facebook so I could 'like' your comment.

greg1786
06/15/2013, 09:44 PM
Haha. I caught them relatively easy. I turned the lights off and dropped a clear pilsner glass in the tank right next to there cave with a piece of raw table shrimp in it. They were inside feasting within minutes so i scooped a net over the open end of the glass to keep em trapped, picked it up and dumped them in the sump. Though I must admit I thought about making peppermint shrimp stew for a minute but couldnt bring myself to do it!!

cloak
06/15/2013, 10:21 PM
I've never had a peppermint shrimp attack a snail before, but I have dropped a favia frag in the tank one time and saw a peppermint shrimp go to town on it. By the next morning, that coral was picked clean... These shrimp can be tricky. BEWARE!

They've always been more miss than hit when it comes down to aiptasia btw.