PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Brute container

91mini
06/15/2013, 10:18 PM
I have been mixing saltwater in a Brute container for about 3 months now for my newly built 100G (first large setup). I have mixed approximately 200 gallon through it and like to have saltwater on hand at all times in case of an emergency. I know that mixing saltwater would create a white powdery residue but didn't realize exactly how much.

Do I need to clean the can, pump and heater on a regular basis or can I just continue to mix saltwater in the can?

If, how and what kind of cleaning schedule do you keep on your mixing stations?

chris s
06/16/2013, 12:44 AM
I clean mine every few months when I do a large water change and empty out my brute. I've found that if I get to it quickly and don't let the residue dry it easy. I use a green scotchbrite pad and wipe down everything. Then a quick rinse and I'm done. My pump gets a vinegar soak every month. I use a mag 7 for mixing and have never needed a heater ;)

You can probably let the can go a little longer but keep up with the pump and heater. If enough builds up it will damage the pump. The build up on the heater insulates it making it less efficent. A soak in vinegar will clean up both.

mfinn
06/16/2013, 09:15 AM
I usually rinse out my mixing barrels with freshwater and wipe it down with a towel, every few months if I notice a build up.

sirreal63
06/16/2013, 12:43 PM
Rinse before use, rinse after use and clean with a scotch brite and vinegar every few months. My can still looks new inside after many years of use.

91mini
06/19/2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will have to give the pump a vinegar bath. It looks pretty bad after only 1 month of use.

Why does this happen in the mixing barrel and not in our tanks?

sirreal63
06/19/2013, 04:05 PM
By the time is goes into the tank, for the most part, it has time to thoroughly mix and not be as harsh, so I have been told. Think of it like a soup, dump all of the ingredients in and it won't taste like soup until it has blended together, this takes a little time. Freshly mixed salt is reportedly more caustic, which makes some sense, all of those ingredients need time to become homogenous. This is the main reason I mix the salt over night and use the next day.

The anti-caking agents used also tend to coat the mixing can instead of the aquarium. Just rinse good before and after use and do the occasional vinegar cleaning and it will be good to go. FWIW I noticed more of the sludge buildup quicker with RC than with regular IO though it has never been as bad as some people have reported.

Yogre
06/19/2013, 05:30 PM
Here is a great article written by Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley about this very subject, precipitate in your mixing barrel.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

Like Randy, I think the last time I cleaned my mixing barrel was a couple of years ago. It isn't an easy thing to do, and I haven't seen any deleterious effects from the solid crud in the bottom. I just make sure not to suck it into the water I'm using for water changes.

whitestone
06/20/2013, 01:08 AM
You all guys have a great technique to wash the tank.. "Yogre" has an also very nice article on this topic.. So it's pretty good I also rinse that tank before use and after use..

Yogre
06/20/2013, 03:09 PM
Well, our discussion on this thread inspired me to clean out the 65 gallon stock tank I use for saltwater mixing/storage today.

Ugh, what a task. First, disconnect the thing from its plumbing, and haul it out of the basement to the yard for pressure washing. Then, scrub the inside of the tank with a scrubby on a long pole because that brown gradoo won't pressure wash off. Then, the pressure washer decides to take a dump, and I finish up using just a garden hose spray nozzle.

Finally, haul that beast back downstairs and reconnect the plumbing. Cripes what a lot of work. Granted, it does look better inside, but now I'm reminded why I rarely clean that thing out.

R.W.
06/21/2013, 11:23 AM
Well, our discussion on this thread inspired me to clean out the 65 gallon stock tank I use for saltwater mixing/storage today.

Ugh, what a task. First, disconnect the thing from its plumbing, and haul it out of the basement to the yard for pressure washing. Then, scrub the inside of the tank with a scrubby on a long pole because that brown gradoo won't pressure wash off. Then, the pressure washer decides to take a dump, and I finish up using just a garden hose spray nozzle.

Finally, haul that beast back downstairs and reconnect the plumbing. Cripes what a lot of work. Granted, it does look better inside, but now I'm reminded why I rarely clean that thing out.

Thanks for the reminder! I havent washed mine in years due to this exact reason. Haha!:lolspin:

biodegraded
06/21/2013, 12:10 PM
I wonder how and how often folk with extensive mixing stations, like seen in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1711626), clean their holding tanks.

McPuff
06/21/2013, 01:38 PM
I try to clean mine about every few months. Basically just a wipe down, maybe a bit of vinegar and then a quick rinse. Works like a charm.

91mini
06/22/2013, 11:00 AM
Would I not get the junk out of the pump by running freshwater through it in a bucket? Is the vinegar absolutely necessary?

Yogre
06/22/2013, 11:35 AM
The vinegar will dissolve calcium carbonate deposits on the impeller, impeller shaft, and impeller well that will not rinse out with just freshwater.

You don't need full strength vinegar, I run my pumps in a 25% vinegar/75% tapwater bath and it seems to work just fine.

Snausy
06/22/2013, 12:48 PM
Looking at my Brute 50g bottom the other day and wincing. Then this thread pops up!

It's why I come here.

91mini
06/22/2013, 03:15 PM
The vinegar will dissolve calcium carbonate deposits on the impeller, impeller shaft, and impeller well that will not rinse out with just freshwater.

You don't need full strength vinegar, I run my pumps in a 25% vinegar/75% tapwater bath and it seems to work just fine.

Thanks!! That'll save me some dough! I was thinking 100% vinegar.

whitestone
06/28/2013, 06:21 AM
You all guys have a great technique to wash the tank.. "Yogre" has an also very nice article on this topic.. So it's pretty good I also rinse that tank before use and after use..

I am in the same topic..

Ntep floor scale (http://www.elitescale.com/industrial-scales/floor-scales/?sl=EN)

billdogg
06/28/2013, 02:55 PM
You can clean them??? I suppose I have a few times in the 25 or so years I have been using my mix barrel, but it is not something I lose a lot of sleep over.

jm.02