PDA

View Full Version : Apex Controller

mlburchjr
06/16/2013, 07:20 AM
Hey everyone,

Well my wife gave me the go ahead and is going to let me get an Apex. However, I was wanting opinions. Is it overkill? I don't ever plan on using a calcium reactor, my lights have built in timers, I have a tunze osomaltor for my top off. I have Koralia powerheads which from what I have read cant be controlled by Apex. I would pretty much use it as a a $500 timer for my dosing pumps and an on/off switch for my fan and heater. So I am asking for your opinions. I want to get this but $525 is a lot of money.

Thank you all for your responses.

Mark

SeedlessOne
06/16/2013, 07:29 AM
Controllers are one of the best investments you can make for your tank.

You are only scratching the surface of what a controller can do for your tank in your post. Monitoring the tank while away is great. Having PH probe is great. Knowing my heater has overheat prevention is great. having ATo is worth the price of the controller alone.

You can setup a koralia on your apex but it will just turn it off and on, but you will hear a loud clicking noise every time they kick on.

Also check out the reefangel. You can save yourself some money.

mlburchjr
06/16/2013, 11:15 AM
Thank you. I will look at the reef angel as well.

Rambomessiah
06/16/2013, 03:25 PM
Absolutely love my APEX! I go away for the weekend a lot and really enjoy being able to see my tank status and control everything via my Iphone. Now all I need is the webcam!

James77
06/16/2013, 04:10 PM
Why not get the Apex Jr if you want? It would give you 4 controlled outlets, PC/internet control, and warnings via email/text. You can request a unit with no display to save a few bucks.

l8_apex_it
06/16/2013, 10:40 PM
It is not overkill at all. They are awesome. The longer you have it, the more you will use it. Great investments!

KyleO
06/16/2013, 11:30 PM
What is wrong with going with the Apex Jr? For $219. it will give a lot of control, but just the basics (which is invaluable)

KyleO
06/16/2013, 11:31 PM
Sorry, I just noticed James77 mentioned the same thing...........still a good plan though

mlburchjr
06/17/2013, 11:29 AM
thank you all for the responses

kb3777
06/17/2013, 01:40 PM
I would suggest looking into a full Apex line. They can do just about anything you want.