PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Blue Hippo Tang called the Blue Hippo Tang?

that Fish Guy
06/16/2013, 09:57 AM
Why is the Blue Hippo Tang called the Blue Hippo Tang?

Obviously it is Blue but where do they get "Hippo" from?

It does not look like a Hippo.

eyesinthedrk
06/16/2013, 10:27 AM
My guess is its scientific name Paracanthurus hepatus

nogascans
06/16/2013, 10:28 AM
I believe it is from the scientific name (Paracanthurus hepatus), also known as Hepatus tang, or hippo for short.

Sincerely,

David

Curious George
06/16/2013, 10:29 AM
^what he said

was even mentioned in a recent episode of "Tanked"

i keep watching to my own dismay

they must have caught wind of the negativity coming from the hobby community because they are really going out of their way to feign care for the animals is most important

lhm nole
06/16/2013, 10:45 AM
^what he said

was even mentioned in a recent episode of "Tanked"

i keep watching to my own dismay

they must have caught wind of the negativity coming from the hobby community because they are really going out of their way to feign care for the animals is most important
I think it was Fish Tank Kings that mentioned it

DopeCantWin
06/16/2013, 01:17 PM
I think it was Fish Tank Kings that mentioned it

I saw one episode of Tanked, and they seemed to put way too many fish into a single tank, but maybe that was just me. It was kinda of a fun show, but I'm not big into reality shows like that.

vette.tech
06/16/2013, 03:30 PM
Fish tank kings is much better, I just met Francis at the bucks county aquarium club workshop, what a cool dude with an even cooler life story

reefloverd1
06/16/2013, 04:39 PM
I saw one of those shows once.... it was the episode where they put an aquarium in a kids room as part of his bed. Can't remember if it was tanked or fish tank kings, but it was pretty amazing.

that Fish Guy
06/16/2013, 08:46 PM
Fish tank kings is much better, I just met Francis at the bucks county aquarium club workshop, what a cool dude with an even cooler life story

Cool.

What did you guys talk about?

What was cool about his "Life Story"?

lhm nole
06/17/2013, 09:42 AM
I saw one of those shows once.... it was the episode where they put an aquarium in a kids room as part of his bed. Can't remember if it was tanked or fish tank kings, but it was pretty amazing.It was tanked

SVTour
06/17/2013, 10:56 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how these shows gets away without cycling the tank...and question if you look back two weeks after the install, all the fish are dead. :hmm4:

I've only seen one episode where they cycled the tank correctly...believe it was Keenan Thompson's shark tank.

Timfish
06/17/2013, 11:34 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how these shows gets away without cycling the tank...

I set up tanks consistantly without having a "cycle" although I do not reccommend it for someone new to the hobby. Using live rock, live sand and 10% to 20% aged water from another system I've added fish and corals on day two and never seen a problem with ammonia, pH or alkalinity. But I also have access to systems I can move the animals if there is a problem. Delbeek and Sprung first discussed this approach in Vol I of their "Reef Aquarium" books. As far as the ethics of showing systems set up in a day or two without discussing the hazards of doing so and the steps needed to do it right (like using well "cured" live rock) as entertaining as they are these reality shows certainly leave something to be desired in my opinion.

reefloverd1
06/17/2013, 03:14 PM
I set up tanks consistantly without having a "cycle" although I do not reccommend it for someone new to the hobby. Using live rock, live sand and 10% to 20% aged water from another system I've added fish and corals on day two and never seen a problem with ammonia, pH or alkalinity. But I also have access to systems I can move the animals if there is a problem. Delbeek and Sprung first discussed this approach in Vol I of their "Reef Aquarium" books. As far as the ethics of showing systems set up in a day or two without discussing the hazards of doing so and the steps needed to do it right (like using well "cured" live rock) as entertaining as they are these reality shows certainly leave something to be desired in my opinion.

Could they be doing this and not showing that part on camera? Seems like if the fish die soon after there wouldn't still be a show? IDK

Khemul
06/17/2013, 03:49 PM
Could they be doing this and not showing that part on camera? Seems like if the fish die soon after there wouldn't still be a show? IDK

They mention what they do, but unless you've done it it is easy to miss what they are talking about. They essentially use the same method to jump start a tank that freshwater keepers use when they have multiple tanks (keep in mind that many of their setups are essentially FO tanks - which means they are basically running similar to freshwater tanks). Seeded water and biomedia. Basically run a filter with 2-3x (they probably do it on a MUCH bigger scale) the needed biomedia (sponge/ceramics/pads/etc.), when a new tank is being set up, grab one of those extra biomedia sources and toss it in the filter of the new tank. It isn't "instant" but it is usually such an easy transition that unless you have a controller watching the numbers you'd never notice it.

As for the fish, much of that is done for show, since it looks better on TV. A 100 gallon tank with 2 Clowns looks EXTREMELY empty on TV. Solution? Put 50 in while filming, then remove 48 after the cameras are done.

Moort82
06/17/2013, 04:05 PM
Tanked use a product called Colony. Which is essentially a bacterial culture in a bottle. It means they can cycle the tank very quickly and needs the fish load to actually do so.
Its a neat product i recently used whilst setting up a qt.

I think both shows also really suffer from being edited for "entertainment" rather than content. The cycle just won't pull many non aquarist viewers. Nice you mentioned Francis was a nice guy, I've heard that but the show doesn't really make him out to be.