PDA

View Full Version : CUC questions.

Spongebob20
06/16/2013, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, I have a 75 gallon tank that has been set up for about a month now. Been monitoring all the levels in the tank and it looks like its finally done with it's cycle, nitrate and nitrite are practically 0. Some algae has started to grow in the tank and I'd like to get a CUC in there now that it's cycled. I have 3 yellow belly damsels in there and I plan on adding a pair of clowns, some type of wrasse, maybe a chalk bass and a couple gobies. Got a couple frags in there that are doing great so everything needs to be reef safe. What are your guys suggestions for a CUC? I'm also open to any suggestions about type of fish to get! Thanks!

CoralReeForrest
06/16/2013, 10:05 PM
Read the CUC sticky, also check out reefcleaners website. They usually send more then stated and have great customer service maybe even call them and ask. But read around the stickies they have great info, Sk8tr has a write up on the best way to start off your CUC

oscarinw
06/16/2013, 10:08 PM
+1 on reefcleaners... I like the Turbo snails but they are strong and can/will move your aquascape and/or frags... I'd say Nerites, Ceriths, Hermits and Astrea/Turbos...
Start with 20 and increase as you need.
Good luck with things,

hollister
06/16/2013, 10:27 PM
You will not be able to add any other fish. Those damsels are to aggressive. If its green hair algea then no CUC will help. But to answer your question you could add a few crabs at first and add more as your tank and stock increase.

I would add a fish or coral then wait and add another fish or coral and a few CUC and then wait and repeat. You also want to add fish from least aggressive to most. Look here for fish specs.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

Algea like Phosphate so if you dont test for it then get a tester for it. You need 2 types of test kits. Also water source , like tap water contains algea loveing minerials.
Also flow issues like low flow and feeding habits all play a part.

Spongebob20
06/17/2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys, luckily no hair algae, just the normal brownish stuff growing on rocks and sand. I started the tank using tap water but I've been aggressively taking that water out and replacing it with RODI from my unit that arrived a couple days from bulkreefsupply so hopefully that helps. Unfortunately it seems my lfs gave me bad advice on the damsels, they assured me that species was not as aggressive and wouldn't get as big as other damsels. Now of course they're impossible to get out haha

cloak
06/17/2013, 10:03 AM
Six to eight snails is really all you need right now IMO. (turbo or trochus) See how they do for awhile and then adjust the population accordingly. Usually that brownish stuff your talking about will run it's course given time. (diatoms)

Spongebob20
06/17/2013, 12:02 PM
Sounds good, thanks cloak