PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Waste water keeps on running

KyleO
06/16/2013, 11:34 PM
I am stumped! My RO/DI system has been running flawlessly for about 4 years now. I change the filters about 3 times a year (the first stage a lot more), and have changed the membrane at least once.

I am still getting perfect 0 TDS water, but I noticed recently that the waste water keeps running and running, even when the system is not making water.

Anybody else run into this? How to fix?

Kyle

Laborator
06/17/2013, 12:04 AM
Interested to know as well.

zland1
06/17/2013, 12:08 AM
Check your RODI Auto Shut Off Valve open it up and clean it, Google it for pictures and how to's.

fishyguy7
06/17/2013, 03:27 AM
Check your RODI Auto Shut Off Valve open it up and clean it, Google it for pictures and how to's.

+1on it being the asv. You can try cleaning it or just buy a new one

sittnon18s
06/17/2013, 04:33 AM
you have air in the lines. turn your ro unit upside down and move it around to get the air out and it will work perfectly again...

KyleO
06/17/2013, 07:07 PM

I bought a new one because I was sure this was the problem

KyleO
06/17/2013, 07:08 PM
you have air in the lines. turn your ro unit upside down and move it around to get the air out and it will work perfectly again...

I will definitely try this..............sounds hopeful

sittnon18s
06/17/2013, 08:11 PM
it should, my lines had air in from my well and it would never shut off. I fixed the air in the well and now my ro unit shuts off every time. I hope it works...

tallball158
06/17/2013, 08:17 PM
You could just put a ball valve on the water intake line, that would keep the system from running. I know that is not the ideal answer, but it would work.

KyleO
06/17/2013, 10:25 PM
You could just put a ball valve on the water intake line, that would keep the system from running. I know that is not the ideal answer, but it would work.

Yes, I did that.......and it is off now, but it was working perfectly just a few weeks ago (for that last few years)

I am hoping that air in the lines is the answer

KyleO
06/25/2013, 02:30 PM
got all of the air out of the system but still running (even though the ATS is working correctly). Has to be the check valve on the automatic flush kit for the membrane. Ordered a new one, will let everybody know the outcome

KyleO
06/28/2013, 11:29 PM
Well, that wasn't it................hmmmm.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the flow restrictor on the flush valve kit for the membrane

Anybody have any experience or issues with this?

tallball158
06/29/2013, 11:07 AM
I have heard they can go bad, but I'm not sure if that would cause the water to continue to run. As the name states, it is only a restrictor, not a shut off. I do not manufacture ro/di units, but I was under the impression that the auto shut off valve was what turned the system on or off, when there was a pressure change. Have checked all of your connections for leaks? I had a ball valve that leaked just enough to drop the pressure in my unit, and it would kick it on. It stopped once I replace the valve, and my unit stayed pressurized. I am no expert, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

KyleO
06/29/2013, 05:42 PM
I have heard they can go bad, but I'm not sure if that would cause the water to continue to run. As the name states, it is only a restrictor, not a shut off. I do not manufacture ro/di units, but I was under the impression that the auto shut off valve was what turned the system on or off, when there was a pressure change. Have checked all of your connections for leaks? I had a ball valve that leaked just enough to drop the pressure in my unit, and it would kick it on. It stopped once I replace the valve, and my unit stayed pressurized. I am no expert, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

Thanks for the input........and I agree. I do have a ball-valve on the line coming out of the unit that can redirect the flow from the regular collection container to the ATO container for my Reef system. That is the first thing I suspected so I replaced it and still see the flow on the waste line even though I can verify that both resevoirs aren't overflowing as you would suspect if the auto-shutoffs were malfunctioning.

The RO/DI unit is inside my lab by the sink so if I had a leak it would be very obvious.

I am stumped on this one!!!