PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Omega 150 impellers

saltydog1
06/17/2013, 11:52 AM
Hi,
Has anyone had any problems with the Vertex Omega 150 impellers?
I have had 2 failures within a month. :strange:
Thanks !!

wildman926
06/17/2013, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you need a new pump. The impeller cavity could be out of round, have debris embedded, etc.

saltydog1
06/17/2013, 01:25 PM
Sounds like you need a new pump. The impeller cavity could be out of round, have debris embedded, etc.

Thanks wildman926. I have been communicating with Proline Aquatics and they have been very helpful. They sent the replacement impeller quickly last time, but they think it could be the motor block or bearing now, since I've had two failures. They said this is highly unusual, and so did Jeremy at Premium Aquatics. I must have been the lucky one to get a defective one out of hundreds. Proline is sending me a new motor block and impeller :D

moondoggy4
06/17/2013, 11:21 PM
Are you going to send Jeremy the old pump so he can try to figure out what went wrong?

Jeremy B.
06/19/2013, 07:42 AM
It's actually going back to Vertex, so I won't be getting it.

Bunkerbean
06/19/2013, 09:36 AM
My pump just quit on me. Can these be replaced?

Jeremy B.
06/19/2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, but the did you try pulling the pump apart and cleaning it?

Bunkerbean
06/22/2013, 06:22 AM
Yes, but the did you try pulling the pump apart and cleaning it?

I pulled it apart and cleaned it three times. I don't know what else to do.

saltydog1
06/22/2013, 10:20 AM
I pulled it apart and cleaned it three times. I don't know what else to do.

If this is the Vertex Omega, does the pinwheel or magnet spin on the ceramic shaft? It should not. That's what happened to mine.

Bunkerbean
06/22/2013, 03:58 PM
The pin wheel does but not the magnet.

saltydog1
06/22/2013, 06:04 PM
The pin wheel does but not the magnet.

That is your problem. Exactly what mine did twice. I got Proline Aquatics (US distributor) to replace mine under warranty.

wildman926
06/22/2013, 06:23 PM
I know it is a Sicce pump, but are these impellers unique to the Omega?

saltydog1
06/22/2013, 06:29 PM
I know it is a Sicce pump, but are these impellers unique to the Omega?

I would think so, but not sure.

Bunkerbean
06/22/2013, 06:37 PM
Is that who you bought your skimmer from

saltydog1
06/22/2013, 06:49 PM
Is that who you bought your skimmer from

I bought it from Premium Aquatics

saltydog1
06/22/2013, 06:50 PM
@ Bunkerbean, did you get the message I sent you?

saltydog1
06/22/2013, 06:56 PM
My pump just quit on me. Can these be replaced?

How long did yours run before stopping? My first impeller was one week...second one almost a month.

Bunkerbean
06/23/2013, 05:02 PM
How long did yours run before stopping? My first impeller was one week...second one almost a month.

About two or three months. I did not get your message

saltydog1
06/23/2013, 05:21 PM
The message was just saying to contact the place you bought it from or contact: [email protected] . They take care of the warranty stuff. Proline Aquatics is like a distributor for Vertex in the USA. Jen will ask you to send pics. She was really helpful.

I hope there is not going to be a lot of problems with these impellers.. :worried:

Bunkerbean
06/24/2013, 11:01 AM
Emailed Jen she is sending a new one ASAP. Awesome customer service

saltydog1
06/24/2013, 11:26 AM
Emailed Jen she is sending a new one ASAP. Awesome customer service

Great to hear!!! I thought so too!!

coffeetwitch
08/23/2013, 11:43 PM
my impeller just crapped out on me.

where does a person just buy a whole new pump with impeller? i dont mind messing around with warranty but i wouldnt mind buying a spare to use in the mean time and just have a back up should this be an ongoing problem

moondoggy4
08/23/2013, 11:51 PM
^^^^premium aquatics

jojokeo
12/03/2013, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I just bought a new Vertex Omega 130 and received it today. I wanted to inspect the impeller to familiarize myself with it before installing. I gently re-inserted it into the pump housing and the ceramic shaft broke! ***?! The high magnetic strength sucked the magnet back in very abruptly and the needle wheel part remained in my fingers.

After reading this thread and my recent experience this ceramic shaft seems to be EXTREMELY fragile to say the least. Why not use titanium or high grade steel for this? It seems definitely the weak link for this skimmer?!

Did I make a bad skimmer choice? Is it even worth keeping before I install it?

Thanks in advance for your honest feedback,
Joe

Ron99
12/03/2013, 06:57 PM
Ceramic is brittle and you have to be careful with impellers. But I guess it is impervious to saltwater and has low friction hence it's use in pump shafts. Not sure stainless steel is a good choice as it will corrode in saltwater with time and titanium shafts are expensive and would raise the price a fair bit.

jojokeo
12/03/2013, 07:09 PM
I've been in the hobby w/ current tank since 1980. It's been set up as a reef in it's current form since 1997. As you might imagine I know how to be careful with things. This seems to be definitely the weak link to this skimmer.

*is this skimmer worth a piece of crap? Or would I be better off sending it back before I even install it?

Thanks for your feedback-

carmexx
12/03/2013, 07:13 PM
From what I've read there was a bad run of impellers when they first came out. Probably explains why I went through 2 in a few months...the first after cleaning it and the replacement sent by proline broke upon installing it. I put it in and the magnet pulled it in and "snap". Not happy but Proline Took care of me! It's been ok since Sept and I love the performance of this skimmer!

jojokeo
12/04/2013, 01:28 PM
That's exactly what happened to me. It snapped as I tried to simply replace the assembly back into the pump. I only wanted to familiarize myself with the pump for possible servicing down the road.

Can you please let me know how you reinstalled it without it breaking or is there anything I can do or need to know to replace it without it breaking again?

That's great info to hear and also confimation on the skimmer's performance I was hoping to hear, thank you Carmexx!!!

Blueline12
12/04/2013, 06:54 PM
My buddies impeller broke too. Looks like this is starting to be a trend.

Ron99
12/04/2013, 07:02 PM
There was a bad batch of impellers so maybe you guys got some of those. Contact BRS or Proline and they will sort you out.

indyjaco
12/04/2013, 07:33 PM
I had one break too and got a replacement from Proline. I glued the one that had the pinwheel break off from the magnet and have been using it since.

It does seem to be a trend. I had a SWC150 and that impeller never had an issue and it snapped into place quite a few times.

Reefer82
12/04/2013, 07:54 PM
I've had the same issue w a tunze 1073.040 pump. I have an omega 150 I'm about to install as well and hope this doesn't become an issue as I've had it awhile because the build got back burnered for awhile.

GatorsUF
12/07/2013, 10:38 PM
i just got the vertex 150 and it was making a lot of noise, so i took it apart. the ceramic was chipped

evsalty
12/11/2013, 10:47 PM
Wow this thread sucks to read but may help me in making a tough decision abouth keeping my still dry 150 or returning it and going with another companies skimmer.

I bought my 150 during BRS's BF sale and it arived with both a broken ozone nipple on the volute and a pump bracket that was not drilled large enough for the bolts to fit into it.

Jen from PA was very helpful and had new ones of both sent right out BUT they did not include my unit number in my address. Then the Post Office had to truck it down to AZ insted of flying it (so they suggested might be why the delay) and that made it take over a week to get here which was today.

On Monday I had contacted the PO about the address thing but was told they may just return it to the sender as well as they initiated a lost package claim. So Jen said she would send out another package but would MAKE SURE that my address included my unit number.

Today the first package arrived even without any indication of my unit number. The postal lady must have recognized the name or was willing to look at the names inside the mail boxes. They tend to start at my group of boxes and work their way down so she may have just gotten lucky....or I should say I may have just gotten lucky :).

Anyway the new pump bracket has correctly sized holes for the bolts so one issue fixed. BUT after fighting to get the origional volute out of the white circular block thingy I find that the new volute has been sized to small and slips in and out and will not stay put. Might be lucky that there is a new box of both of these parts on it's way.

So I call Jen again who apologizes and says the new ones are on their way and I guess you will have spare parts. So at that point we both figure that I will wait and see if I get a good fitting volute this time.

Now the new headache came to light just a few minutes ago. I finally got the new tracking number and check the address....well they forgot to include my unit number once again.

So I was already on the fence about having BRS just take this thing back and go buy a different skimmer and the latest address reoccurance was not helping the matter when now I find that there are or have been impellor issue? OH BOY. If nothing else I am tempted to have BRS just replace this whole skimmer with a new one that perhaps will have a new batch of better made parts.

So my question now is is this skimmer worth the wait or should I just run as fast as I can? I am very glad I kept it dry.

krzyphsygy
12/13/2013, 07:33 PM
WOW!! I was just about to buy one of these Omega 150's. Now probably not. I cant deal with issues like this. $400 bucks for plastic and acrylic , and impeller issues. Stinks!

125mph
12/13/2013, 07:55 PM
I picked up a 150 on Thursday... The small red plastic pipe used for the air intake was broken in the box. I went back to LFS and they swapped that out... Ran it and everything seemed good but the next day the pump died.... It buzzes but doesn't suck any water. This is brand new.

I took apart the pump and put it back. Don't see anything in it that could have caused the issue. Put pump back together and it works now .

Hoping this is the last issue .

kupadupapupa
12/13/2013, 11:32 PM
Glad I found this thread, I thought I'd be the only one with this issue. I came home today and find my skimmer not working so I took it apart and find that the pin wheel sheared of from the plastic impeller. It's such a clean and precise shear so I'm thinking they used such cheap materials.

I'm in the process of supergluing it right now and I'm really hoping it'll be good for a while. My mag drive 12 impeller has been running superglued for 2 years now so hopefully the vertex will too. This really sucks though, what do I do about a warranty replacement so I can get a new impeller? Will premium aquatics get me one from Vertex since that's where I had ordered mine? There was so much hype about the Vertex brand and I stupidly bought into it, I'm pretty ****ed.

jojokeo
12/14/2013, 07:20 AM
I think the skimmer's overall design and effectiveness is very good. But that the skimmer as a whole is only as good as it's weakest part. In this case it is with the pump itself! The main issue of the pump design to me is all about a poorly designed impeller assembly by Sicce. The diameter of the ceramic impeller shaft is too small to handle the power and magnetic forces of the impeller assembly.

Because it IS of a small diameter and made of ceramic material it is also therefore much too brittle and unable to:
a) handle and/or absorb the shock forces either by stopping and re-starting from normal maintenance or power outages
b) service the pump. When reinserting the assembly back into the pump's housing there is a very powerful magnetic force between the impeller magnet & the pump's magnetic field which snaps the impeller assembly back into the housing. You cannot prevent this from happening* (see below). The ceramic shaft then snaps/breaks due to this powerful action also.

*If you look straight at the impeller down into the "needles" you'll notice 4 small holes. You need to use 4 small appropriately sized zip ties, sticks/bamboo skewers (used to making shrimp kabobs), etc... and insert them down through the holes to the end of the impeller magnet. I think the zip ties work best since they are non-magnetic, thin, and pliable?! You can also try to put a few into the pump's housing also if needed or something similar. Then carefully insert the impeller assembly back into the pump housing. Pull out and manipulate the zip ties/impeller assembly as they go back together very gently.
The zip ties will help give you a form a control and a buffer from the magnets wanting to snap together and back into place. This violent action that snaps the brittle and undersized ceramic shaft can be minimized and prevented this way.

I think at the pump's factory they have a special tool that enables them insert the impeller's assembly back together in a similar fashion and it's the only method that I can think of that we all can use in our homes?! Can everyone that reads this please reply back with their success or failures if trying this method or if there's a better one they discover??

Thanks,
Joe

GatorsUF
12/14/2013, 07:22 AM
Contact [email protected]
She sent me a new pump and impeller

Blueline12
12/14/2013, 11:40 AM
Contact [email protected]
She sent me a new pump and impeller

I emailed her 4 days ago and no response yet. Does she just mail one out or does she actually reply?

GatorsUF
12/14/2013, 01:31 PM
She replied to me within 3 hours. I sent pics of my broken impeller. She told me to she if the bushing in the motor was messed up too. I told her it was and she sent out a new motor and impeller with 2 day shipping. I took 5 days altogether to get the replacement. I had an awesome experience with their customer service. Just wished it worked good from the beginning. I contacted brs first and they were a huge help. They said they would send me a new motor and I could get the impeller from her but I opted to have jen send me everything. If u got it from brs, they probably have the impeller in by now

Blueline12
12/14/2013, 01:51 PM
She replied to me within 3 hours. I sent pics of my broken impeller. She told me to she if the bushing in the motor was messed up too. I told her it was and she sent out a new motor and impeller with 2 day shipping. I took 5 days altogether to get the replacement. I had an awesome experience with their customer service. Just wished it worked good from the beginning. I contacted brs first and they were a huge help. They said they would send me a new motor and I could get the impeller from her but I opted to have jen send me everything. If u got it from brs, they probably have the impeller in by now
Ok. Thanks. I will follow up with her.

GatorsUF
12/14/2013, 04:40 PM
Sorry for the misspelling. Autocorrect isn't the best

jojokeo
12/15/2013, 09:20 AM
I contacted brs first and they were a huge help. They said they would send me a new motor and I could get the impeller from her but I opted to have jen send me everything. If u got it from brs, they probably have the impeller in by now

Does it matter where you bought it to get Jen to send a new one if you supply her a picture?

GatorsUF
12/15/2013, 11:04 AM
Nope. I contacted jen and sent her pictures. She then asked for the invoice and sent the parts the next day.

Ninchen
12/15/2013, 12:01 PM
The Shaft broken after 2 weeks without Reasons. I dont no, why he using so thinn Axis ? Pump was really loud and lot of vibrations. Horrible Pump !! My Vendor want send new Parts.

kupadupapupa
12/15/2013, 01:30 PM
The Shaft broken after 2 weeks without Reasons. I dont no, why he using so thinn Axis ? Pump was really loud and lot of vibrations. Horrible Pump !! My Vendor want send new Parts.

Who's your vendor?

The only thing I can think of is not to turn off the skimmer. I've probably turned my skimmer of 3 times when I got it right when it was released. It still managed to not even last a year though but still a little longer then some people.

What's the warranty on this thing? If it breaks after warranty does the skimmer just become an endless money pit of buying new impellers every few months?

jbraslins
12/15/2013, 01:37 PM
Wonder if a different pump can be used.

125mph
12/15/2013, 02:00 PM
Well the pump crapped out on me again. I went back to the LFS and they said the impella was bad. They didn't have any more impellas so they gave me a new pump from another 150.

I picked up a 150 on Thursday... The small red plastic pipe used for the air intake was broken in the box. I went back to LFS and they swapped that out... Ran it and everything seemed good but the next day the pump died.... It buzzes but doesn't suck any water. This is brand new.

I took apart the pump and put it back. Don't see anything in it that could have caused the issue. Put pump back together and it works now .

Hoping this is the last issue .

evsalty
12/15/2013, 04:43 PM
On the 130 thread others are mentioning dead pumps as well. I linked them this thread.

I am getting more and more scared of keeping this thing. I still have yet to get mine wet as I am still waiting on my second replacement volute. I may just have to give this thing back and pay more for a more reliable skimmer. either that or just use the money I saved to buy a Reef Octo DCS-3500 pump and fit it to this skimmer.

Ron99
12/16/2013, 11:33 AM
I think the skimmer's overall design and effectiveness is very good. But that the skimmer as a whole is only as good as it's weakest part. In this case it is with the pump itself! The main issue of the pump design to me is all about a poorly designed impeller assembly by Sicce. The diameter of the ceramic impeller shaft is too small to handle the power and magnetic forces of the impeller assembly.

Because it IS of a small diameter and made of ceramic material it is also therefore much too brittle and unable to:
a) handle and/or absorb the shock forces either by stopping and re-starting from normal maintenance or power outages
b) service the pump. When reinserting the assembly back into the pump's housing there is a very powerful magnetic force between the impeller magnet & the pump's magnetic field which snaps the impeller assembly back into the housing. You cannot prevent this from happening* (see below). The ceramic shaft then snaps/breaks due to this powerful action also.

*If you look straight at the impeller down into the "needles" you'll notice 4 small holes. You need to use 4 small appropriately sized zip ties, sticks/bamboo skewers (used to making shrimp kabobs), etc... and insert them down through the holes to the end of the impeller magnet. I think the zip ties work best since they are non-magnetic, thin, and pliable?! You can also try to put a few into the pump's housing also if needed or something similar. Then carefully insert the impeller assembly back into the pump housing. Pull out and manipulate the zip ties/impeller assembly as they go back together very gently.
The zip ties will help give you a form a control and a buffer from the magnets wanting to snap together and back into place. This violent action that snaps the brittle and undersized ceramic shaft can be minimized and prevented this way.

I think at the pump's factory they have a special tool that enables them insert the impeller's assembly back together in a similar fashion and it's the only method that I can think of that we all can use in our homes?! Can everyone that reads this please reply back with their success or failures if trying this method or if there's a better one they discover??

Thanks,
Joe

I've removed and installed an impeller a couple times and haven't had a problem. You just need to hold onto it and put it in gently instead of letting the magnet yank it in. Ceramic is brittle by nature and any ceramic/impeller pump combo can break if you aren't careful with it.

As for impeller issues, there was a bad batch of them and a bunch are probably still out in the wild. The replacement impellers from Proline should solve those issues. if you are just getting one from another skimmer at your vendor there is no guarantee that it isn't one from the bad batch too so I would get it straight from Proline.

moondoggy4
12/16/2013, 07:53 PM
I bought my 150 when they first came out, my ozone probe was broken inside the volute and they sent me a brand new volute, I never had a problem with the impeller, my skimmer shuts off every morning for 15 minutes I have removed the impeller several times to clean the pump. Impeller problems Sounds like a Chinese mid redesign.

chadfarmer
12/16/2013, 09:57 PM
I bought my 150 when they first came out, my ozone probe was broken inside the volute and they sent me a brand new volute, I never had a problem with the impeller, my skimmer shuts off every morning for 15 minutes I have removed the impeller several times to clean the pump. Impeller problems Sounds like a Chinese mid redesign.

they are no longer made by Klaus

moondoggy4
12/16/2013, 11:53 PM
I know that there was a following out between Vertex and BK, not sure why Klaus was upset with Vertex, maybe he felt that Vertex was undermining his new line of skimmers.

Jeremy B.
12/17/2013, 08:14 AM
The Vertex Omega skimmer was never made by Royal Exclusiv (Bubble King), only the Vertex Alpha skimmers were, which they are no longer as of earlier this year or so.

GatorsUF
12/17/2013, 10:50 AM
How deep is everyone running their 150s at?

kupadupapupa
12/17/2013, 11:03 AM

8 inches

125mph
12/17/2013, 11:07 AM

I was running around 9" but read its best to be 7.5-8"... So I lowered my sump to 7.8"

GatorsUF
12/17/2013, 12:13 PM
Sound good. Thanks guys. I read some people are running as low as 6.5

indyjaco
12/17/2013, 01:34 PM
I am at 7.5

coffeetwitch
02/13/2014, 05:53 PM
im done with vertex omega. i had the impeller problem mid last year that i had warrantied. i was out of town last week, and i came back to another broken impeller. oh well, expensive lesson. octopus or rlss is next on the list to try. i find it amusing that the reef dynamics skimmer, that i replaced with the omega, was plugged in and fired right up. shame i cant get that thing to skim sludge like everyone's positive what ever brand skimmer reviews.

moondoggy4
02/13/2014, 07:04 PM
coffeetwitch What do you mean "shame I can't get that thing .........." and sorry to hear that you have given up on the Omega 150. The tunze 9420 pump works good on it.

moondoggy4
02/13/2014, 07:05 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2373659

coffeetwitch
02/13/2014, 07:13 PM
i never could get my reef dynamics to skim right. change water depth up and down and still nothing worth praising it on. even tried it on different sized tanks with different bioloads.

whats the set up like with the tunze?

moondoggy4
02/13/2014, 07:21 PM
It fits right in lays on its side, 3/4 outlet for the tunze the same for the Sicce for the Omega seems to be a good match, impellers are good and cheap for the tunze, 190 bucks though.
What Reef Dynamics did you have ? What size tank did you have it on?

coffeetwitch
02/13/2014, 07:27 PM
just saw the price for the pump. thats a chunk of change. ins135. its been on my 90gallon 2x, each time because of the omega going down. its also been on a 125 with a good bioload from some messy fish and i think on a 40 breeder because i was getting everything for the 90 collected.

jgalen0025
02/13/2014, 07:47 PM
ive been running mine for 3 months with no issues. I run at 8 inches with medium to heavy bioload. Quiet as can be with no damage during shipping. You have to remember the majority of owners arent on the forum and the ones that do post, only do if they have a problem.

moondoggy4
02/13/2014, 09:53 PM
coffeetwitch I am surprised that the INS 135 is not rocking that tank. If you don't like the price of the tunze maybe you will like the Bubble King pump they use on their version of the Omega 150.
I would shy away from the rlss DC pumps if hey go bad and lots have I do not believe that they have sufficient parts available they keep changing the pump models.:D

krzyphsygy
02/14/2014, 08:25 AM
Reef Dynamics skimmers are famous for being correctly rated to tank size. Could it be just idling because organics are fully removed?

How old is the skimmer and what pump is on it?

240addiction
11/08/2014, 08:03 AM
Bringing an old thread to life. This morning my 150 pump really got loud, it was noticeably louder over the last few days, but it pretty much stopped pumping all together today. I tried to take it apart and figure out the issue. Everything seemed fine except that the pinwheel can slide off the shaft now, I don't remember that happening before. I also noticed that the pinwheel is contacting the back of the inlet disk. I am going to head to the LFS I bought it from and see what they can do for me. I run my skimmer for 16 hours a day and it was purchased around Christmas last year (so it was likely from around November to December in the store).
It sounds like the separation of the shaft and pinwheel can be glued, but I want my LFS to look at it first and I would like a new one because it does have a two year warranty.
On a side note the best way I have found to install the shaft is to hold the end with a towel so you have some grip on the shaft and can control the pull of the magnets.

moondoggy4
11/08/2014, 09:55 AM
You could put a little bit of crazy glue in the shaft to see if that works but I would defiantly have them send you a new impeller with a new volute.

indyjaco
11/08/2014, 10:46 AM
I contacted Vertex to get a new impeller. They sent one pretty quick once you show proof of purchase and the broken one. I used a quality glue on the broken one to repair it in the meantime.

The repair worked just fine and I actually used that one for 9 months before I sold the skimmer.

DaveRaz
07/23/2015, 08:43 AM
Updating an old thread here as the impeller shaft broke on my unit yesterday as well. It's been in service since November. Albert with Proline doesn't play around though. He is all over this issue and expedited the shipment. Good to work with companies who keep customer service a priority.

Dave

this is me
10/03/2015, 09:18 AM
My impeller just broke on me as well last week. I preordered this skimmer when it first came out. So it's like 3 years now(?)
Anyway, a replacement is on the way but it will be a week and a half with the tank running skimmerless