PDA

View Full Version : Online black worms?

footballdude2k3
06/17/2013, 03:00 PM
I want to get some black worms for my tank, does anybody have a site that they were able to get these on? Does anybody have any tips for raising them?

cloak
06/17/2013, 03:10 PM
Check this out.

http://www.ventralfins.com/livefood_blackworms.html

footballdude2k3
06/17/2013, 03:28 PM
Thank you cloak!

silverwolf72
06/17/2013, 04:22 PM
http://blackworms-direct.com

dkeller_nc
06/17/2013, 06:27 PM
You may have noticed that it doesn't make much sense to buy any less than 1 lb. of blackworms at a time, since 1 lb is only about 20% more than 1/4 lb.

1 lb. of blackworms is a lot of blackworms, and it can be a serious PITA to care for that many. Essentially, you keep them in an open shoebox in your refrigerator and change the water out once a day. Except that 1 lb. needs at least 3 shoeboxes to spread them out enough so that they don't all die at once.

So a suggestion - I got blackworms frequently in the 1990's when I was into breeding freshwater Discus and Killifish, and the best way to deal with these is to join the local aquarium club. Depending on the club's size, somewhere between 5 to 10 lbs. are ordered, and split up among the members.

It's the best way to both get them frequently without spending a ton, but also to make sure that you can use most of what you bought. In my experience, blackworms will only last 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator (or until you get lazy and don't change the water one day!).

footballdude2k3
06/17/2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks, yea I was reading that, and I am gonna see if anybody in my local club wants to do a group buy

triggreef
06/17/2013, 09:26 PM
I used a trough about 20" by 3' wide, filled about 3 inches high water overflows to a "sump" which is a styro container from blue zoo aquatics shipment filled with bio balls. One small maxi jet pumps water back into trough. It is cycled but I still need an ammonia alert to keep track when I replenish worms. I started with a quarter#. I had to replenish only a couple times in the last 3 months or so & I feed them a lot to 3 tanks. About a couple tblsp a day. I feed the worms the nasty water from thawing frozen food.