PDA

View Full Version : light for biocube fuge?

Riona
06/17/2013, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting some chaeto or something similar for the second chamber of my biocube, and am wondering what sort of light to use. Do I need to find and buy one of the ones that coralife makes for them, or could would anything basically work as long as it is a certain amount of light?

tamaroo
06/17/2013, 07:54 PM
I have a small submersible LED in chamber 2 for my chaeto. Seems to work well. I ordered it from InTank. I also flip my chaeto over every couple of days to make sure it gets light on all sides.

Riona
06/18/2013, 07:24 PM
Neat! I didn't know they made submersible LEDs! I'll look into that one! Thank you :)

Edit: Looked into that one, and it is way more money than I'd like to spend right now =/ Do you suppose the 10 watt single light they have on the site would work decently?

tamaroo
06/18/2013, 08:48 PM
Neat! I didn't know they made submersible LEDs! I'll look into that one! Thank you :)

Edit: Looked into that one, and it is way more money than I'd like to spend right now =/ Do you suppose the 10 watt single light they have on the site would work decently?

You are welcome!

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific! I use the single 10w one in my tank and it works well. Chaeto is still green. :) I agree the other lights they have are on the high $ side, especially for a fuge.

meklo
06/19/2013, 05:37 PM
I went with the Coralife Aqualight T5 my biocube. I haven't added any cheato in my fuge because I haven't needed it, yet. So, I can't really comment on growth rates with it. However, the price wasn't bad it fits nice and is out of the way.

I have heard a few people say that the submersible 10w led from inTank got hot and melt some of the plastic on one of the sides of their chamber. I am not sure if that is a common problem or a not. I chose to go with something external to help with any heat issues too.

http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_Mini_Aqualight_Fixture_T5_New_Light_p/res36013.htm

NaH20Eh
06/19/2013, 08:24 PM
I was wondering the same thing. There is the clear glass at the back of the biocube and there must be a good DIY option for a fuge light to grow cheato. Seems like a waste to spend $$$ on this.