PDA

View Full Version : What system what I need ?

gandolf8
06/18/2013, 05:38 PM
I have a 180 gal with about 10 fish and a lot of soft and hard coral.
Have a 20 gal refugium and 30 gal sump. The sump and refug are in my
basement . So this will be in the basement. thx.

bnumair
06/19/2013, 12:28 AM
Genesis makes 3 major modules.
1. Renew
2. Storm
3. Rvoc

Renew system is automatic water change system and that all it does. u fix the number of gals and it will change water. It has many modes like one time or daily or weekly water change schedules.
It also have different options like basic or adv or pro.
difference: basic is basic with module metering wells and set of floats of high and low.
advance had fail safe floats (extra sets)
pro has all that with pumps.
Problem with just Renew system is that u can automate ur water change but u will have to have our own ATO. So having an ATO that done talk to Renew will cause a problem which goes as such. renew will start changing water and draw 1 gal from sump. ATO will kick in thinking ur sump is low and dump 1 gal of ro/di water and cause major salinity change. for every gal renew changes ATO will dump equal gals of rodi water unless u manually shut ATO off and turn it back on after water change. this really takes the fun out of automation. and also u cant rely on weekly or daily water chnages as u have to be there to suspend ATO.
best you buy Storm system with it.

Storm: thats an ATO system. it will have floats that monitor evaporation and refill from ro/di bin. Storm will automatically suspend if it detects Renew doing water changes thus not causing any issues as mentioned before. This too has basic and pro models with similar difference of number of floats and failsafe floats.

Rvoc: this module basically turns ur ro/di unit on and off. it have sensors that are placed inside the storage bin for fresh ro/di water. it have a high and low sensor. once low it automatically starts the unit and makes fresh water for u and once it hit high sensor it stops. this help last the membrane last longer and helps in low tds and u are never out of fresh water.

i have been using this system for last 2 yrs now and i have had no accidents nor any part fail.
Choice is yours for what purpose u need the system and what u are comfortable with. I have pro version with all their modules and very pleased with it.

Note: Sorry Kevin(Genesis reef system) i hope i explained it well. lol i am sure u can add on after all its your product.

GenesisReefSys
06/19/2013, 06:47 AM
Good morning!

There should be no problem installing any of the RENEW™ and STORM™ models on your sump in the basement, and you should be able to utilize the small EHEIM 1000 compact pumps we include in our System Bundles to accomplish all of the water transfer needs.

bnumair explained it well (thanks!).

The RENEW™ Basic will certainly accomplish the water change requirements. It will exchange up to 99 gallons per day, every day - although you can set it to perform as little as one gallon per week if you wish.

The RENEW™ Advanced is the same as the Basic, but it adds two sensors - one that you will place fairly low in your sump and one that you will place near the bottom of your mixing bin. Whenever the water levels drop to either of those sensors the RENEW™ will interrupt operation and alert you (visual indication) that something needs to be addressed. For instance, if you run out of replacement water in your mixing bin, the RENEW™ will automatically stop exchanges until you have prepared new water and are ready to resume.

The RENEW™ Pro includes those two sensors as well, but adds a couple more sensors in the Metering Reservoirs that allow for quicker water changes and even more redundancy.

The STORM™ Specialized Top Off & Replenishment Module has two models. The STORM™Basic will monitor your sump level and top off as needed to make up for evaporation while also monitoring your top off bin level so that you don't accidentally run your pump dry. The STORM™ Pro does this but adds the ROCv™ and additional sensors to control the automatic production of ultra pure water through your existing RO or RO/DI filter. As bnumair indicated, it will monitor the water level in your top off bin and whenever it gets low it will start the production of water through your RO filter, filling the entire top off bin all at once and then shutting off until the bin is nearly empty again. In this manner it cycles your RO filter only once and reduces TDS creep - plus you'll never need to worry about keeping your top off bin full again.

Both the STORM™ Basic and STORM™ Pro will communicate and coordinate with any RENEW™ model so that everything runs perfectly.

In summary, it is all just a matter of preference which models you buy; they are all compatible with one another and will all accomplish their tasks equally as well. The differences with the RENEW™ lie mostly in the levels of redundancy they provide and speed of exchanges, and the difference in the STORM™ is primarily the automatic production of top off water through your RO filter. If you enjoy the highest level of automation and peace of mind, the Pro models are definitely the way to go. If you don't require as much automation and feel comfortable with a lower level of redundancy (still plenty though!), then you may want to consider the Basic or Advanced models.

Hope this helps!
Kevin

gandolf8
06/19/2013, 09:40 AM
So if I want to do water changes and ATO what is the best system I would need ?
Also how many water storages tanks I would need. Do I need to mix salt in one of them ?
Do you have pictures ?

GenesisReefSys
06/19/2013, 10:08 AM
Hi Gandolf8,

For top off and water changes you will need two bins; one that will be for your top off (RO) water, and one that serves as a mixing bin for your salt water. You may choose to use a relatively small bin for RO water, maybe 20 gallons or so, while you may want a larger salt water mixing bin. Many people use the 55 gallon Rubbermaid Brute containers for their mixing bins.

Our RENEW™ Pro + STORM™ Pro + Pumps Bundle is by far the most popular system bundle we sell. It's currently backordered, but expect to be shipping again tomorrow or Friday.

PAStreetGlide
06/19/2013, 10:02 PM
gandolf8, you wont be sorry you got this system. Its top of the line and makes things so much easier. I have a 55 gallon top off bin and a 55 gallon mixing bin. I pour salt into my mixing bin once a week and I'm done. The system does the rest. Again, you wont be sory with this puchase.

gandolf8
06/20/2013, 06:06 PM
I already have a top off system
Do I use that or just buy the
hole system and is that the
system for $859.99 is that
the one I want ?

bnumair
06/20/2013, 08:52 PM
Problem with just Renew system is that u can automate ur water change but u will have to have our own ATO. So having an ATO that done talk to Renew will cause a problem which goes as such. renew will start changing water and draw 1 gal from sump. ATO will kick in thinking ur sump is low and dump 1 gal of ro/di water and cause major salinity change. for every gal renew changes ATO will dump equal gals of rodi water unless u manually shut ATO off and turn it back on after water change. this really takes the fun out of automation. and also u cant rely on weekly or daily water chnages as u have to be there to suspend ATO.
best you buy Storm system with it.

so i strongly recommend if u continue with ur ATO to manually disable ATO or the above situation will happen.
if money is not a problem go with renew and storm combo. sub models is personal preference.
u can go with the package for 769 which will give u everything including rvoc to fill ur bin up automatically but this package will not have pumps. u need 2 pumps if u have spare one already then go with this.
if u dont have 2 spare small pumps then go with 859 package.

Neokane
06/21/2013, 12:27 AM
I agree with bnumair.. It is best to get the systems combined together. I have both and love them.
This will probably save you some headaches with salinity getting messed up

I use 2 44 gal brute force trash cans in my basement and 2 magdrive 9.5's to pump the water up(1-for the premixed salt water and 1 for ro/di water), they are strong enough to pump the water over 12 feet vertically.
Then whatever pump you want to use to pump water from the sump (as long as it can overcome whatever head pressure there may be)

bnumair
06/21/2013, 12:48 AM
here is what my setup looks like.
2 rvoc's working on same 1 system
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/bnumair/20130205_205306_zps4317d39f.jpg

2 50 gal barrels 1 for ro/di and other for saltwater
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/bnumair/20130419_173615_zps207f9f71.jpg

2 metering wells.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/bnumair/20130427_201245_zpsf31ba4c0.jpg

gandolf8
06/21/2013, 06:29 AM
ok I see what your talking about. Now on the 2 50 gal barrels 1 for R/O and other for saltwater. How does the salt barrel work as far as filling do you mix say 1.025 and does it fill with R/O water when it goes down and how often does yours does water changes ? I know how R/O water works by filling and having float to shut off' and do I need 2 R/O units ?

bnumair
06/21/2013, 02:01 PM
No u dont need a 2nd rodi unit. Rvoc fills only my first barrel with water. That barrel has float Sensors that check the water when is slow and when High. I manually move water from 1st barrel to second.
I have mine program to do 3 gallons per day.