PDA

View Full Version : Help w wavebox

wsun083
06/20/2013, 09:19 AM
I found two waveboxes in my storage unit and after a hiatus I decided to get back in the hobby. I have no clue how to set these up again! So I have

2 waveboxes
2 pumps (6201.10)
2 black cylindrical drivers
1 7240.27 driver
1 6091 wave controller
1 tunze switching adapter

I can't figure out how to set this up. Why is there a master and slave outlet on the wave controller. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Craig Borowski
06/20/2013, 03:27 PM
The wave controller can control both Waveboxes at once, with one plugged into Master and the other plugged into Slave. If both are together on one end of the tank, then you want them to pulse together in sync. If they're on opposite ends of the tank then they need to pulse alternately. There should be a jumper inside the 6091 that you'll switch to change from sync to anti-sync (alternately). Though that controller is quite a few years old and before my time so you may want to wait for Roger to confirm that.

The pumps go inside the Waveboxes, and you should have a foam ring like this (http://www.tunze.com/details.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1%5Bprodid%5D=6212.300) to go around each pump. (It may be gray and not blue.) If the pumps have large O-rings on the nozzles, then those go on the inside of the box around the pump nozzle. They're there to dampen vibration and keep the pump from moving forward at all.

It sounds like you might be missing 1 7240.27 driver, as each pump should have its own driver. However if the pumps are from two different series, then it's possible that one is newer and has the driver built inside the pump itself. If the pumps have different connectors on their cords then that is probably the case.

The 'black cylindrical drivers' are I assume the power supplies for the pumps.

As for what to do next. I'd take apart both pumps and make sure the impellers are clean and not worn or stuck. Then hook up one power supply (the cylinder) to the 7240.27 driver and hook one of the pumps to that. Plug in the power supply and check that the pump spins. It should spin at a constant speed. Assuming it does, then hook it to the 6091 and check that it's getting controlled correctly. You could then do the same with the 2nd pump to make sure it's all in order.

What size tank will these be going in? Once you get one Wavebox working and in the tank, you could spend some time getting the 6091 timing adjusted correctly on that. Then once we figure out what, if anything, is needed for the second Wavebox (or if it's even needed at all for whatever size tank you have) you can hook that up to the 6091 and the timing will already be set.

wsun083
06/21/2013, 02:34 PM
Thank you so much for the thorough info! Yeah looks like I have one faulty 7240 driver. Can those be repaired?