PDA

View Full Version : Submerging a Ball Valve?

jr_83
06/20/2013, 10:15 PM
I'm building a sump for my new 200g. Being able to submerge the ball valve in my overflow box would make life a lot easier. Is this possible?

shifty51008
06/20/2013, 11:54 PM
yes it is possiable, but I wouldn't do it. after time cal. deposits, snail eggs, and a bunch of others things will collect on it making it very hard to turn if not lock it up.

Ron Reefman
06/21/2013, 03:18 AM
But on the other hand, I've had one over my DSB as a by-pass from the refugium, by-passing the DSB and going to the return section in the sump for 4 years now and it still works fine. It's a bit slimy, but it works. I don't adjust it very often, but when I use the DSB as a place to 'store' extra coral before I get it into the DT, I up the flow over the DSB. After the coral is moved, I open the by-pass and slow the flow over the DSB.

cakemanPA
06/21/2013, 07:55 AM
I had one over my fuge in an old tank. Outside of being disgusting and salt covered it worked fine. I had a ball valve that was on a rigged reactor. It was hard on the hands due to build up, but it worked fine. If there is a way to not submerge the ball valve, I would go that direction first