PDA

View Full Version : 120w cree vs 120w bridgelux

rog2961
06/21/2013, 07:48 AM
Does anyone know if the 120w are better than the popular 120w bridgelux? I can get the cree version for close to the same price so if they are pretty much the same units but with crees, I think its the better buy.

rog2961
06/21/2013, 08:57 AM
No one? guess i'll have to try these out on my own

Khemul
06/21/2013, 11:04 AM
Expect more then an hour to get a response around here. :lol:

Cree are better. How much better depends on the specific Bridgelux LED, since they aren't all the same.

If price is the same then there is no reason to take Bridgelux over Cree. The whole advantage of Bridgelux is price. Cree is more powerful but cost more.

rog2961
06/21/2013, 11:42 AM
Expect more then an hour to get a response around here. :lol:

Cree are better. How much better depends on the specific Bridgelux LED, since they aren't all the same.

If price is the same then there is no reason to take Bridgelux over Cree. The whole advantage of Bridgelux is price. Cree is more powerful but cost more.

That's the conclusion I drew as well. These are primarily royal blue and cool white and they are the same price as the bridgelux! no brainer :rollface:

rog2961
06/21/2013, 12:00 PM
For those that are intrested these are the ones I was looking to get.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/556723229/120w_Cree_Dimmable_Cree_Led_Aquarium.html

anyone ever try these?

zangmann
06/21/2013, 12:17 PM
For those that are intrested these are the ones I was looking to get.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/556723229/120w_Cree_Dimmable_Cree_Led_Aquarium.html

anyone ever try these?

Standard blue and white is no longer the way to go, try to get a full spectrum light ...

rog2961
06/21/2013, 12:38 PM
I've been doing some research on the color selection. These guys offer Cree green and red. I've read that I should limit the reds and greens to about 1 each every 10 inches or so. Purple/UV doesn't do much or am I incorrect there? this would leave warm white and blue, would these additional colors be needed?

NyteGTI
06/21/2013, 01:02 PM
you can get a full spectrum dimmable bridgelux fixture for cheaper than the price you have there. Check out Reefbreeders Value LED

rog2961
06/21/2013, 01:39 PM
The company is selling me 3 cree lights for the same price as 3 bridgelux at reefbreeders.

rog2961
06/21/2013, 01:41 PM
Thats why im a bit confused as to why the vast majority of people are getting the bridgelux when the Crees are pretty much the same price. If you look around and are willing to purchase from china directly, you end up with the better deal. The only benefit I can see from purchasing bridgelux here in the states is because you can get them quicker and you have the benefit of selecting a full spectrum of color. I plan to introduce some DIY strips of color to these modules.

Dapg8gt
06/21/2013, 01:49 PM
I personally would just get the reef breeders.. You don't know if they good cree or rejects or plain knockoffs are or if they are any better than the bridge lux honestly you Prob won't be running them at a 100% anyways so who cares if they are a little more powerful.. Also what about warranty? Reef breeders warrants them I had to deal with evergrow and they were good about sending me new things but if it was major I would of had to ship the light to them and any savings would be gone.. Just some food for thought..

Def get a full spectrum different whites, blues, and a few reds and UV is what all the top guys are running so I would think it would be wise to follow suit.. That's JmO but to have just cree diodes with the light doesn't make it that much better in just white and blue especially when it comes to warranty and spectrum.

rog2961
06/21/2013, 02:04 PM
3yr warranty, but you do bring up a interesting point about cost of shipping back. I was thinking if these do break, i'd fix em myself. My logic is, if im going to be paying the same price as the bridgelux(which I know materials wise is cheaper), then why not go with cree's and either add addtional lights in conjuction, or just have the manufacture switch them out for me.

Dapg8gt
06/22/2013, 10:34 AM
I'm sure either way you should be fine.. I would look in the Chinese led thread if you haven't and ask if any guys are running the green sun ones.. I do remember reading about them a while ago and can't remember if they were good or bad reviews.. Also to consider is what cree leds they are using and also the rest of the light like the cooling abilities,how loud it is , drivers etc...all things myself would feel more comfortable gambling on units other people are running.. Just like when the craze first hit the eshines were the rage until they all started burning up and the company wasn't doing anything about the warranty at all.. They knew that they weren't gonna send them back to them and mostly didn't even respond to people.. That may have changed with that particular company I'm not sure..

It's true that the cree are better than bridgelux but are you sure that the rest of the light is better than the popular ones? I don't know that answer and not saying they aren't I just wouldn't gamble that money on a company so far away that may or may not be as good as the other.. That's just me though.. Have you looked into evergrow directly for cree lights added to the fixtures? I ordered directly from them a while ago and had to deal with warranty and they did deliver it was just a slow process and I have since sold the light.. But I do know they stand behind their light and build quality products.. They are all reef breeders sells..
This is all just my opinion so take it as that and enjoy your new fixtures and remember to acclimate them cause I smoked my frag tank initially at 50% lol..

glmule
07/02/2013, 11:42 AM
Rog, what size of tank are you putting these on? How many are you ordering for your tank?

rog2961
07/23/2013, 06:59 AM
155 bow, I just picked up 3 from fleabay