PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I need a to add something.

MamaZooKeeper
06/21/2013, 11:35 AM
Im looking to add new fish to my tank now that it seems "stable." I have a pistol shrimp & Goby pair, 2 clowns, banded shrimp, snails, and hermit crabs. Plus my coral. What can I add thats not mean and will live harmoniously in a 65 gal with approx 75 lb live rock?
I've had MANY die, but now I have a GFO reactor and have settled down my phosphates and ready to try again. I had a wrassee but i think my pistol shrimp got him when he was in the sand.....
HELP!!!!

Mathew26
06/21/2013, 11:53 AM
Midas Blennys are always a nice choice.

small alien
06/21/2013, 12:06 PM
Slow down. I don't think a new fish addition requires all caps and 3 exclamation points. Your wrasse may have simply parished. No need to presume a shrimp was involved. Get on this board every day and read, read, read. Don't just look for a quick answer. And get Scott Micheal's Reef Fishes book. Good luck to you.

velvetelvis
06/21/2013, 12:15 PM
^^^+1

Especially if you've had "many" fish die. Slow down and educate yourself. There will always be livestock available. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

MamaZooKeeper
06/21/2013, 02:16 PM
Slow down. I don't think a new fish addition requires all caps and 3 exclamation points. Your wrasse may have simply parished. No need to presume a shrimp was involved. Get on this board every day and read, read, read. Don't just look for a quick answer. And get Scott Micheal's Reef Fishes book. Good luck to you.

^^^+1

Especially if you've had "many" fish die. Slow down and educate yourself. There will always be livestock available. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Yeah I got excited!! I havnt added anything new for months working on getting my tank back right. I have read and read and this is why I knew what to get to take care of my phosphates and I'm finally ready to add. Which is why I am so excited. Im only getting one fish, and its been months since I have added anything. I know its slow in this hobby otherwise i would of trashed this tank a long time and plenty of money ago!!! Hubby wants to get an anemones and i know enough to know this is bad!! Im a caps and !!!! point person sorry. The fish store I go to stated I could start adding more so I got excited. I only get stuff from Premium Aquatics!!!

gofor100
06/21/2013, 03:05 PM
Okay... without knowing too much about your tank and/or experience, I'll have to assume a few things:

> You've already tested your Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates- which are the parameters that, if at zero (except Nitrates, you will have readable measurements with Nitrate, they just shouldn't be too high) would indicate that your tank is ready for new inhabitants.
> You've already tested your Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium levels- this isn't important for fish, but if you're going to be adding any corals, then this should be checked.

Getting the assumptions out of the way, I'd suggest spending $100 or so and get a small 10 gallon tank from PetCo/Petsmart or something, a sponge filter/airpump, small powerhead, PVC for shelter, and some Cupramine and Prazipro (if you haven't already). This will give you all you need for a quarantine tank and give your new fish a much better chance at surviving. Optimally, all of your fish will go through this process, so as to not introduce any parasites (e.g., "ich") into your tank and infest your other fish.

If you're like a majority of other fishkeepers, you'll ignore that last piece of advice rationalizing that you don't have the money or room, but this is honestly just laziness on most people's parts. So I would seriously consider getting a QT set up and running before even thinking of getting a new fish.

And finally, to answer your question... Regardless of what you do (set up or not set up a QT), here's a list of reef fish that I think are pretty tame and hardy:

> Royal Gramma- common and pretty hardy with a nice splash of color
> Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) or Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)- colorful, active and hardy.
> Maybe a Fairy Wrasse of some kind- tons of different colors with these, so you might just want to do a search and see which ones you like.

Once you hone your skills in keeping fish, you could also consider adding a Dwarf Angel down the road (probably as your last fish)... Flame Angels and Coral Beauties are nice choices. But again, these wouldn't be until later on when your tank is more established/stable and you've grown more comfortable in your fishkeeping.

Good luck!

-Chad

RayL
06/21/2013, 09:48 PM
Okay... without knowing too much about your tank and/or experience, I'll have to assume a few things:

> You've already tested your Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates- which are the parameters that, if at zero (except Nitrates, you will have readable measurements with Nitrate, they just shouldn't be too high) would indicate that your tank is ready for new inhabitants.
> You've already tested your Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium levels- this isn't important for fish, but if you're going to be adding any corals, then this should be checked.

Getting the assumptions out of the way, I'd suggest spending $100 or so and get a small 10 gallon tank from PetCo/Petsmart or something, a sponge filter/airpump, small powerhead, PVC for shelter, and some Cupramine and Prazipro (if you haven't already). This will give you all you need for a quarantine tank and give your new fish a much better chance at surviving. Optimally, all of your fish will go through this process, so as to not introduce any parasites (e.g., "ich") into your tank and infest your other fish.

If you're like a majority of other fishkeepers, you'll ignore that last piece of advice rationalizing that you don't have the money or room, but this is honestly just laziness on most people's parts. So I would seriously consider getting a QT set up and running before even thinking of getting a new fish.

And finally, to answer your question... Regardless of what you do (set up or not set up a QT), here's a list of reef fish that I think are pretty tame and hardy:

> Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) or Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)- colorful, active and hardy.
> Maybe a Fairy Wrasse of some kind- tons of different colors with these, so you might just want to do a search and see which ones you like.

Once you hone your skills in keeping fish, you could also consider adding a Dwarf Angel down the road (probably as your last fish)... Flame Angels and Coral Beauties are nice choices. But again, these wouldn't be until later on when your tank is more established/stable and you've grown more comfortable in your fishkeeping.

Good luck!

-Chad

Wow you put in some time coming up and writing out this one. This has to be some of the best advice the OP will get and I hope he follows.
It's because of people like you I love this forum, so much help on here

small alien
06/21/2013, 10:16 PM
Excitement is good! I just meant don't freak out. ;)

gofor100
06/22/2013, 09:57 AM
Wow you put in some time coming up and writing out this one. This has to be some of the best advice the OP will get and I hope he follows.
It's because of people like you I love this forum, so much help on here

Thanks! Try to help when I can...

-Chad

reefgoddess808
06/22/2013, 10:12 AM
I personally love nano fish, so in a relatively small set up like yours that's what I would look for. I have a 56 gal FOWLR and I love my firefish and my sailfin blenny. Beautiful, small, peaceful and packed with personality.

MamaZooKeeper
06/24/2013, 12:38 PM

Good luck!

-Chad

Ty so much!! All tests have come back good. I went out and purchased all new Syfert (sp?) tests and all have been in the normal range for about 2 months now, after getting the GFO to take care of the Cyno and phosphate issue. I have been feeding Reef Chili to my corals and they all look nice now. Nothing seems to be unhealthy and everything is growing, so i think its time to add one new fishy. My calcium tests are good, and i supplement with additive when needed.
I know I dont post much here but it doesnt mean i dont read!
I have debated back and forth on a quarantine system. I will have to look into this again. You made it to sound fairly easy!
Ty for your suggestion on fishies!! I will look these up and see what I would like in my tank. I cant have "firefish" type cause my goby is territorial and picks at anyone the same body shape as him.
I loved the wrassee so Ill try another one of these. Guess I'll be at premium aquatics an hour 1/2 before they open Saturday to be sure I get the one I want!!
Ty so much guys!