PDA

View Full Version : Live rock?

thomchantharasy
06/21/2013, 02:14 PM
I bought dried live rock from a friend and what to make it live again. What is the best way before I put it in my show tank

thegrun
06/21/2013, 02:43 PM
Is this a new tank or an established tank? How much rock are you adding if it is an established tank? Over time (3-6 weeks) dead rock will naturally become live if there is a food source for the bacteria (ammonia and nitrite). Too much dead rock added to an established aquarium can cause it to crash if it has a lot of dried on organic matter. If you are adding the rock to an established aquarium it is safest to cycle it in a seperate container before adding it to your tank.

thomchantharasy
06/21/2013, 05:47 PM
1 1/2months. Its a 150ga and I have 150lb in there now. I have the dry rock in a 75ga tank now with a skimmer, it's about 200lbs

TY31088
06/21/2013, 08:44 PM
Over time (3-6 weeks) dead rock will naturally become live if there is a food source for the bacteria (ammonia and nitrite).

Doesn't dry rock have to be seeded with Live Rock?

bnumair
06/21/2013, 09:28 PM
Doesn't dry rock have to be seeded with Live Rock?

not necessary, all dry rock can turn live without seeding by just kick starting ammonia by any mean like ghost feeding, shrimp method or even pure ammonia introduction.

ramseynb
06/21/2013, 11:02 PM
If it's dead rock, I'd give it a bleach bath and possibly an acid bath. There are threads on RC documenting the process. Bleach will kill organic material and acid will remove any phosphates bound up and prevent them from leaching into the tank. Once you do that and the rock is clean and dry, you can add it to the tank, assuming the tank is established. It'll eventually become LR over time.