PDA

View Full Version : Affordable LED Units

Chibils
06/21/2013, 02:30 PM
Hello.

I know this forum is filled with people who love high-end units, and I share your love. But at the moment I'm hoping to set up a tank on a somewhat limited budget and I'm looking for an LED fixture that's high-quality but not in a price range that's exclusionary to all but serious hobbyists (such as the Radion or Mitras).

I have a lot of equipment from an old build that should work fine for this tank, but I'd love to move up to LEDs from my old T5 fixture.

My (loaded) wish list includes:
- ability to grow lps, sps, and clams in a 48x13x13 tank.
- high quality craftwork. I don't want anything that will break after a few years or looks cheap. I know in the aquarium industry, this usually comes with a price, but if it's not good quality I won't mess with it.
- an attractive fixture. This is negotiable; if it can't be done on a budget, I will just put a canopy over the tank.

The cheaper the better, but my main concern is on the quality of the fixture and its lights.

Ron Reefman
06/21/2013, 04:49 PM
Look at the EverGrow lights sold at OceanRevive and the Photon fixtures sold by Reef Breeders (and made for them by EverGrow. I have 2 of their IT2080's over my 180g and have sps, lps and softies and a healthy clam. You can get one for about $450. A friend just got an EverGrow IT2080 on Ebay for $425

Chibils
06/21/2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks Ron. I appreciate the feedback and I'll look into those units.

Anyone else have an opinion on those units or similar ones?

that Fish Guy
06/22/2013, 01:39 AM
What is your budget?

How much can you spend?

Ron Reefman
06/22/2013, 03:16 AM
If you want to go even less expensive and are willing to go with just dimmers rather than an on board / built in controller, look at the OceanRevive Arctic S026 or the EverGrow D120 (sold by OR) or the 'Value Fixture' sold by Reef Breeders. You could get two, have way more than enough light and only spend $360 -$400.

Chibils
06/22/2013, 08:49 AM
What is your budget?

I'm willing to go up to $500 or $550 - seems like most decent LED reef fixtures start around $400. If possible, I'd like to go as low as I can without sacrificing decent quality.

If you want to go even less expensive and are willing to go with just dimmers rather than an on board / built in controller, look at the OceanRevive Arctic S026 or the EverGrow D120 (sold by OR) or the 'Value Fixture' sold by Reef Breeders. You could get two, have way more than enough light and only spend $360 -$400.

Thanks Ron -- I'll check these out. I appreciate the help.

that Fish Guy
06/22/2013, 10:21 PM
Most High End LED's are good for 2 Square Feet.

So with a 4 Foot Tank you would need 2.

Even of you went DYI you would prbably spend 600.

I would do T5 and wait.

LED's will get better and Cheaper in 2.5 Months at MACNA.

No sense buying now.

Chibils
06/24/2013, 01:47 PM
Most High End LED's are good for 2 Square Feet.

So with a 4 Foot Tank you would need 2.

Even of you went DYI you would prbably spend 600.

I would do T5 and wait.

LED's will get better and Cheaper in 2.5 Months at MACNA.

No sense buying now.

Thanks Fish Guy. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get enough light at my price point. I'll watch for news at the end of August.

JYoung
06/24/2013, 04:30 PM
I purchased the Maxspect Razor 16k LED for $500 and am very pleased with them. I'm already seeing colors that my previous 48x3w Bridgelux fixture that I purchased from e-Shine wouldn't give.
I would recommend the Razor to anyone.

evolutionZ
06/24/2013, 05:33 PM
Get a 27" razor. Hang high up to cover the 48" length.. I have a 48x24x14 tank with sps at all heights of the tank. My single 27" razor is hung 17" above water level.

2FunKids
06/24/2013, 06:50 PM
I get compensated with Amazon dollars so paying a little more is ok...I went with the Taotronics tt-al12 fixtures. I have two of them over my 48x24x22d 110g mixed reef. I love them so far but then again I just got them last week.. The touch pad is really nice and they came with a program for custom setting, sunny, cloudy, and standard sunrise/sunset setting. Because I have a center brace, two 16" fixtures work really well for me.

Best Regards