PDA

View Full Version : How to move to tanks?

Hbohi
06/22/2013, 10:55 AM
Hey guys.
I am going to be moving within the next 4 months and I have 2 tanks. a 45 gal and a 40 gal fish only set up...Ive never moved houses with the tanks before and not sure how to do it?

Do u put all the live room in a big tub and fish in another and transport like that? and when I set it up again is going to recycle the tank?

Please give me some pointers or suggestions

thanks

H.reidi.MN
06/23/2013, 06:41 PM
Well im no expert but assuming you dont kill off all your bacteria you wont re cycle anything, maybe some small jumps but not a whole cycle. I think for LR people wrap it in wet towels to keep it hydrated and you can put in in buckets for tubs whatever works. Maybe keep some of the water half? Water doesn't hold the bacteria so even if you went will all new water i dont think you would see any drastic effects. Then put your live critters in buckets making sure they have enough water to be in there while you set things up, when you get to your new location im sure throwing some air pumps on the fish buckets will help keep oxygen levels good...

Hope this helps, i just moved a 120 and only kept about 20 gallons of the water and the LR. I have had it going a week since and only seen some nitrate levels rise a bit. Ammonia and nitrite and pH are all great.

Snausy
06/24/2013, 10:50 PM
I moved halfway across the US across the Rocky and Cascade Mountains with my fish in a 50g brute trashcan with a couple PVC elbows and the live rock in another 50g brute trashcan with heaters and pumps in each. Stopped in Wyoming for the night and it dropped to 25. Plugged the heaters/pumps into the cold weather plugs in the parkinglot for the night. I ducktaped an extension cord down the side of the truck because there was no cab access for the ac/dc converter plugged into the lighter.

They were all in the very back of a 25' moving truck. The bouncing made the water splash enough to create O2 was my theory, I sealed up the lids with ducktape.

Got to Seattle and unloaded the same order as I loaded but backwards. All the fish were just fine and happy to get back in the tank. Filled the tank with premade water and everything was fine.

Interesting trip to say the least. I was worried about them the whole time but in the end it was wasted energy. Keep the temp constant and the current flowing through the liverock to minimize any die-off. The less die-off the less of a possible cycle.

If it's just across town you shouldn't have any trouble at all. You could even do them in separate 5g buckets if that made you feel better.

Reefer82
06/24/2013, 11:01 PM
As small as the systems are I would just get a brute, hook a pump and hose to your tank and move water to the brute which I'm assuming you have in the transport vehicle and then bring over your livestock. Keep some water and toss the LR you have in a few 5gal buckets to minimize air exposure and you should have little die off if any. I've moved many tanks over the years, fresh and sw withrinse few issues. Obviously if its not a quick move you'll need flow, heat, etc as necessary.

It may seem crazyto to buy a pump and whatever length hose necessary to move the water if you don't have them already but it'll save you lots of spills and potential back pain.

Dapg8gt
06/24/2013, 11:40 PM
I would take advice above other than the wrapping the towel thing(nothing personal) but you should keep the rock submerged as much as possible the entire time.. Short trip heat isn't so necessary but long ones and fish should have it . Air kills the bio slime on LR surfaces so the more air the more die off = substantial cycle and issues.. Testing before and after the move shouldn't be skipped as you will be able to see what's going on with the tank more than a visual level.. Might want to get a ammonia, nitrate, nitrite test kit if you don't have one for after the move and test a few times to be sure your nitrifying bacteria are still plentiful..

Something not mentioned was reusing your old sand.. In my opinion don't do it unless the tanks are fairly new or you will be taking a sewer with you to the new tank . think of the new sand as a new cleaner beginning lol. Be careful stirring it up during moving also(unless you already do it all the time) I would get the fish out first before disturbing anything in the tank so they have the freshest water.. Then rock into the next bucket with the remainder of water to cover them.. You should be able to rinse your sand but that's a lot of crappy work when dry is super cheap and you don't need the bio cause you kept it alive with the rock you were so careful to keep submerged..

Def have fresh at least 24 hour aged and to temp saltwater waiting for you at the new place and I would make more than you think you need just in case you fall short or the following days you start a cycle that requires a change..

Good luck it's not so bad as long as you are prepared and don't kill your rock you should be fine.. A heater and a battery air pump should work for a long ride but I personally when in town or reasonable distance will make the fish comfortable in a brute with heater and pump and move the tank and rock first and get it established than do a run for the fish just in the bucket or buckets alone just covered after the mayhem.. I've moved a few times and just bought a running system that all was good with those things I've learned over the years FWiW.. Good luck on the move..

Hbohi
06/25/2013, 12:55 PM
thanks guys