PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Car Power inverter! Any suggestions??

jbird0420
06/22/2013, 02:12 PM
My move is coming up like a freight train! I need a good power inverter to power 6 powerheads @ 20watts each for a 6 coolers packed with fish and coral. Attached is 200w power inverter. I'm thinking of purchasing. It got good reviews.

I'm looking for input from those that have experience with moving long distances and successfully keeping your fish alive. I realize 50/50 shot, but I'm looking for 100% success. With a little planning, preparation and execution. I'm confident this will work.

Thanks for your input! Negative input not needed!! TY :hammer:

bnumair
06/22/2013, 02:19 PM
i have moved fish in buckets with no power heads before over several hours (4-5). as long a temp is maintained u should be fine. over long distance oxygen levels can deplete in water and ammonia can creep up so in order to eliminate both problems u can install power heads for movement and oxygen while use of chemicals like prime/amquel/ammolock etc and even stress zyme can help.

jbird0420
06/22/2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your input! I'm moving cross country from Florida to Michigan. I was planning on getting a few Coleman (5 day) coolers to keep the temperature where it should be. I plan on running a power head per cooler. My goal is to keep continuous power to the back of the moving truck. I have to run a extension cord from the cab of the truck to the back of the truck.

Or other alternative is get a performance battery that will last at least 24hrs without a recharge and using the inverter cables from the battery to the powerstrip. I can't wait for this move to be done and I have not even started yet.

i have moved fish in buckets with no power heads before over several hours (4-5). as long a temp is maintained u should be fine. over long distance oxygen levels can deplete in water and ammonia can creep up so in order to eliminate both problems u can install power heads for movement and oxygen while use of chemicals like prime/amquel/ammolock etc and even stress zyme can help.

reefgoddess808
06/22/2013, 04:44 PM
Im sure before they were purchased your fish spent over a day in a bag so it seems like what you are planning should be more than sufficient for their survival. Good luck! A friend of mine moved to Michigan some years back and didn't want to move his FW tank again so I got it, and still have it five years later. The last of his fish died just the other day. Anywho,..

jbird0420
06/22/2013, 06:09 PM
Right on! Thank you.
Sorry to hear about you loss. I bet your friend was glad you got the tank and knows they where in good hands!

Im sure before they were purchased your fish spent over a day in a bag so it seems like what you are planning should be more than sufficient for their survival. Good luck! A friend of mine moved to Michigan some years back and didn't want to move his FW tank again so I got it, and still have it five years later. The last of his fish died just the other day. Anywho,..

bowfront
06/22/2013, 10:04 PM
First I don't have any experience with long range fish/coral transport but if it was me I would lean towards air pumps and air stones instead of power heads. I say this because I've been without AC power before. First encounter was 6 days second 5 days (hurricanes). This was back when I had a pretty well stocked SPS tank. I had 100% survival in both cases. I had no additional light other than a window (normal MH and VHO) for the durations. After you have supplied enough O2 the other most critical factor to watch is water temp. Don't let it go crazy. If you have to add a heater or bag of ice (enclosed in it's bag) do it. I would go for the inverter if you can afford it.

tallball158
06/22/2013, 10:07 PM
I have moved fish for several hours and only used air stones.

rwb500
06/22/2013, 10:12 PM
i just moved about 100 corals and 10 fish about 700 miles. i put all of the corals in bags in styrofoam coolers and the fish all went in one coleman cooler. some of the corals were left still packed in bags until the morning after the drive (well over 24 hours in bags) and they were all completely fine. almost all had polyps open in the bags at that point.

i didnt use a power inverter but if i did, i was just going to find the one with the best reviews on amazon and buy it.

jbird0420
06/22/2013, 11:47 PM
I was thinking of leaving the coral bags partially open inside the Coleman cooler, but as i think about it. Probably not the best Idea in case a coral releases it's toxic enzymes. Did you tie the coral bags pretty tight for the travel??

Did you bag the fish or let them swim freely in the cooler?

i just moved about 100 corals and 10 fish about 700 miles. i put all of the corals in bags in styrofoam coolers and the fish all went in one coleman cooler. some of the corals were left still packed in bags until the morning after the drive (well over 24 hours in bags) and they were all completely fine. almost all had polyps open in the bags at that point.

i didnt use a power inverter but if i did, i was just going to find the one with the best reviews on amazon and buy it.

dkeller_nc
06/23/2013, 07:51 AM
If you're going to set up what amounts to "mini aquariums" in the coolers, you might consider using small media bags with a bit of carbon in them. I wouldn't do this if the animals were in enclosed bags b/c you could have some issues with dissolved oxygen, but in an open, circulating container, it'd be a great way to keep ammonia and/or toxic coral secretions to a minimum.

This is a place that sells inverters by the truckload:

http://www.theinverterstore.com/

One thing to consider is that if you pony up the extra bucks for an inverter/charger, you have a very effective power-loss backup that runs 24/7, all you need to do is hook up a trolling motor battery.

Speaking of which, a trolling motor battery is probably your best bet for lots of capacity to run your powerheads.

jbird0420
06/23/2013, 08:16 AM
Hey thanks for the link. I was also thinks about getting a Yellow Optima battery, the same size that will fit my Civic Si. Using that and replacing the battery in my civic, since the battery is almost 5yrs old. Once I'm through with the move of course. I guess a deep cell battery like a marine or trolling motor battery like you said, will work. I just don't want to run into the issue of the battery dying on me mid or almost all the way through my trip. I need at least 24hrs of continuous power.

If you're going to set up what amounts to "mini aquariums" in the coolers, you might consider using small media bags with a bit of carbon in them. I wouldn't do this if the animals were in enclosed bags b/c you could have some issues with dissolved oxygen, but in an open, circulating container, it'd be a great way to keep ammonia and/or toxic coral secretions to a minimum.

This is a place that sells inverters by the truckload:

http://www.theinverterstore.com/

One thing to consider is that if you pony up the extra bucks for an inverter/charger, you have a very effective power-loss backup that runs 24/7, all you need to do is hook up a trolling motor battery.

Speaking of which, a trolling motor battery is probably your best bet for lots of capacity to run your powerheads.

Mike31154
06/23/2013, 08:31 AM
An inverter is always a handy device to have around. The thing to keep in mind is that most reasonably priced inverters are 'modified' sine wave devices, that is, they don't produce the same smooth power that's available in your home. Pure sine wave inverters are available, but usually cost almost double. Why does this matter? Most motors don't do well when fed a modified sine wave, in fact some may not run at all. Your powerheads will probably work with a modified sine wave inverter, but they won't be very efficient & could be damaged running longer term plugged into one.

Resistive, non motor loads such as heaters don't care what the sine wave looks like, they'll work just fine provided they get the proper voltage. You should be able to get by for your move with air pumps as suggested by bowfront in post #6. Most air pumps, like heaters are less sensitive to the modified sine wave produced by most inverters. There are also battery operated air pumps available, so no inverter needed at all. I have a couple of battery powered air pumps as backup for my display in case there's a power outage. They have relays that sense when power is cut & automatically start up.

If you want to add a little water movement, this may be accomplished with an air pump & some pvc pipe. You can diy what's called an air-water-mover or air lift device. These are generally used in aquaculture for fragile life forms where excessive water movement caused by power heads would be harmful.

All that is required to make an air lift is a piece of PVC pipe with one end cut at a 45 degree angle and a PVC elbow on the other end with a 3/16" hole drilled in the top corner of it. Insert a piece of rigid airline in this hole and push it down almost to the high side of the 45 degree opening. Set the length of the tube so that the elbow is half out of the water. Hook an air pump to the top of the rigid airline and adjust it so that you get a slow stream of large bubbles.

Best of luck with your move!

Michigan Mike
06/23/2013, 08:44 AM
I have a 3 day drive (2150miles) from Michigan to Washington.
I have a trailer with a inverter and marine battery.

Not knowing the temp changes and how hot it will get in the trailer (it has a vent on top)
I'm thinking frozen water bottles and the heaters would work but be difficult.

3....long....days..... with a 10 month old too. Lol

I'm hoping my coral will sell, I've had an offer for all of it but don't want to take the hit, maybe I can ship it to someone to hold it for a week and then ship into me when I get there.

jbird0420
06/23/2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks Mike! I agree having an inverter around the house will come in handy. So air pumps in the coolers should be ok for me?I plan on tearing the tank down Friday and the next day Saturday early am pack them in the truck and head north. There will be a dedicated thread on my move. Keep checking this forum. Move day is July 13 and its coming like a freight train. Lol

An inverter is always a handy device to have around. The thing to keep in mind is that most reasonably priced inverters are 'modified' sine wave devices, that is, they don't produce the same smooth power that's available in your home. Pure sine wave inverters are available, but usually cost almost double. Why does this matter? Most motors don't do well when fed a modified sine wave, in fact some may not run at all. Your powerheads will probably work with a modified sine wave inverter, but they won't be very efficient & could be damaged running longer term plugged into one.

Resistive, non motor loads such as heaters don't care what the sine wave looks like, they'll work just fine provided they get the proper voltage. You should be able to get by for your move with air pumps as suggested by bowfront in post #6. Most air pumps, like heaters are less sensitive to the modified sine wave produced by most inverters. There are also battery operated air pumps available, so no inverter needed at all. I have a couple of battery powered air pumps as backup for my display in case there's a power outage. They have relays that sense when power is cut & automatically start up.

If you want to add a little water movement, this may be accomplished with an air pump & some pvc pipe. You can diy what's called an air-water-mover or air lift device. These are generally used in aquaculture for fragile life forms where excessive water movement caused by power heads would be harmful.

All that is required to make an air lift is a piece of PVC pipe with one end cut at a 45 degree angle and a PVC elbow on the other end with a 3/16" hole drilled in the top corner of it. Insert a piece of rigid airline in this hole and push it down almost to the high side of the 45 degree opening. Set the length of the tube so that the elbow is half out of the water. Hook an air pump to the top of the rigid airline and adjust it so that you get a slow stream of large bubbles.

Best of luck with your move!

jbird0420
06/23/2013, 08:57 AM
Mike, there is a thread on another forum site where I guy moved from Arizona to Michigan. 3 day trip like yours. He used simple Coleman 5day coolers, air pumps and car inverter. He stopped at night and would bring the coolers to the room and plug the power heads in to give the fish and coral flow. He did make it and everything did survive, but I guess the tank went through a mini cycle a few days later and he lost a couple fish. Coral was fine. You should be ok. I don't plan on using the same sand bed. Matter of fact, I plan on going with a sand less bare bottom tank, going forward. You will have you hands full with the move and baby. But with some planning, you should be good to go.

I have a 3 day drive (2150miles) from Michigan to Washington.
I have a trailer with a inverter and marine battery.

Not knowing the temp changes and how hot it will get in the trailer (it has a vent on top)
I'm thinking frozen water bottles and the heaters would work but be difficult.

3....long....days..... with a 10 month old too. Lol

I'm hoping my coral will sell, I've had an offer for all of it but don't want to take the hit, maybe I can ship it to someone to hold it for a week and then ship into me when I get there.

billsreef
06/23/2013, 09:41 AM
Instead of the power hungry powerheads, an air pump and some airstones would indeed be better. Lower power consumption and more than adequate circulation. I'd recommend a couple of these (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120). They are both AC and battery powered, so even when you have the truck off, they will run on their batteries for a good 8 hours or so.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-11939-53684P_001-fish.jpg

jbird0420
06/23/2013, 09:43 AM
Cool! That works for me. Thanks! As long as my reef friends make the trip. I don't care what I use. Lol

Instead of the power hungry powerheads, an air pump and some airstones would indeed be better. Lower power consumption and more than adequate circulation. I'd recommend a couple of these (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120). They are both AC and battery powered, so even when you have the truck off, they will run on their batteries for a good 8 hours or so.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-11939-53684P_001-fish.jpg

rwb500
06/26/2013, 08:13 AM
all of my corals were tightly bagged and all of the fish swam freely together. this wouldn't work if any of your fish were spiny, aggressive, big enough to eat other, etc...

Fizz71
06/26/2013, 11:11 AM
IMO your brakes and and gas pedal are your powerheads. As long as there's enough air (O2) in the container you're going to slosh sh*t just as much as any pump would do. But I will admit the only thing I ever transported over 100 miles was live rock.

I'd be more worried about heat and O2.

..and BTW Azoo makes smaller models too:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo_Battery_Air_Pump_Battery_Operated_Air_Pumps-Azoo-AZ15001-FIARBO-vi.html
...I have a couple older models.

lostintheocean
06/26/2013, 12:14 PM
I moved a 29 gallon 600 miles. I put the three fish and several inverts in a 10 gallon about half full and added a thick styrafoam on top and taped it in place. this kept water from sloshing all over the place and slamming the fish around. I used batter operated air pumps for aeration and the car AC for temp control. I will likely move across country with many more fish and corals and plan on only using air pumps again, maybe run them off power inverter though to get stonger ones. just be sure the water is not slamming the fish around in their containers and good luck.

jbird0420
06/26/2013, 12:50 PM
Plan is to get a bunch of battery operated air pumps. Cold packs for the coral and smaller fish. Bigger fish will be transported in trash cans half filled with water and covered with lids. I plan on running the airline tube through the top of the lid, down to the bottom of the trash can.

Now for the tricky part. Keeping that trash cans of water cool. So I was planning on getting the biggest cold gel packs that Staples sells. Put the cold pack in a gallon zip lock bag, maybe wrap it up as well in a trash bag. I plan on mounting the gel pack under the lid of the trash can. Tape it up under the lid and around to the top of the lid. Maybe throw a few wet towels on top of the trash can to keep cool. I plan on having a bunch of frozen water bottles and bags of ice handy. Make a stop every two hours to check temp and air control.

As crazy as this sounds. I believe this will work.