PDA

View Full Version : I can't take it anymore! Please help my overflow

Twostepper4041
06/23/2013, 07:42 PM
Just set up my 65 gal with my lfs recommended strainer overflow drill setup, also with a t connector for a air spout on back. Please see picture
With my mag 7 on full blast, medium, and well short of turning it off... It's loud! Sounds like niagra falls! I put a ball valve on it and turned it to about 1/4 power if not less... I might ... I mean might....Be pushing 50 gal a hour... I do however have 2 mp10 for circulation... Still.... Am I in trouble? What can I do?

Thank you so much!

jimmy_beaner
06/23/2013, 07:55 PM
What I did with mine... turn the drain line down, drill a couple smaller holes nearer to the back wall than just your current drain opening, add an air tube at the top. Right now, it looks like the water has to fall into your drain, which is causing a lot of noise. You want that to be muffled, right now it's open to the air. My 90 gallon is quiet enough I can't hear it... with an Eheim 1260 opened all the way up. I can take a picture of necessary.

Twostepper4041
06/23/2013, 08:30 PM
A picture would help big time! If I turn the elbow down then my water level will drop about 6" or correct? Where ever the bulkhead sits right? Yes, please send me a picture. I really don't fell right now having a bunch of flow with return pump, plus my sump has no flow in it now..

Thank you so much!

toky916
06/24/2013, 03:40 AM
Ok I have the same problem I noticed when I turn strainer down my bulk head is low and I loose a lot of volume and it just drains to fast 1 1/2 drain 1" return

jimmy_beaner
06/24/2013, 05:27 AM
So... sort of the best I can do with how I've cabled my wires.
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/brianpinneyphotography/20130624_062208.jpg (http://s821.photobucket.com/user/brianpinneyphotography/media/20130624_062208.jpg.html)

On the left, there's a guard to keep out snails (as I had a huge one plug up my 1" drain line...). That rises into the regular drain. On the right, a hole drilled on each side of the 90* elbow. On the top of that piece is a little air line tube.

BiggsTheGoalie
06/24/2013, 09:06 AM
Where exactly is the noise coming from? Just looking at it, there are a lot of 90' turns which can disrupt the water flow and make it pretty noisy. Have you found anything to quiet it down yet?

ca1ore
06/24/2013, 01:18 PM
A picture would help big time! If I turn the elbow down then my water level will drop about 6" or correct?

Well, your water level will drop, yes, to the level of the bulkhead (maybe 3 inches? hard to tell from the photo). Seems your options are to either glue an overflow box over the intake so that you can invert the elbow without dropping the level; or put an external overflow on the back of the tank.

greech
06/24/2013, 01:30 PM
I don;t see how you will ever have a quiet drain with that setup. Turning the elbow/strainer down will not define the water level in the tank IF your return flow is more than the drain can handle. It won't be a full siphon because of the air introduction. Chances are the drain will quiet some but most likely surge or gurgle (which can be equally as annoying!).

Not sure what size BH you have there but if it is 1.5", you could consider a box like this...

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

It won't be silent but it will be much better than what you have now from a noise perspective.

Other option would be to drain the tank and drill more holes for a beananimal or herbie drain. You can by overflow boxes similar to the link I posted and drill your own holes in them to match up with those in your glass.

BearCatFish
06/24/2013, 02:30 PM
When I was using an overflow box I did almost exactly what Jimmy pictured & it was relatively quiet. It's been so long since I had a HOB overflow I almost forgot about that crazy gurgling you can get.

BearCatFish
06/24/2013, 02:36 PM
I just realized you don't have any kind of overflow box. I'd go to Lowe's, pick up a sheet of acrylic, a cutting tool, & some adhesive silicone. Then I'd order some WeldOn (I think #40) & I'd make my own overflow box.

Even if you just did one small box for one side & ran that drain as a full siphon line & left the other 90* from the other bulkhead facing up to take the excess that the full siphon line can't handle it'll quiet it down a lot.

I'd recommend getting a gate valve for the full siphon line vs the ball valve as the 1" Ball Valve I have is a PITA to turn. It'll be getting a gate valve before long because it's not possible to make fine adjustments.

Twostepper4041
06/24/2013, 08:45 PM
Yep, I think overflow box is the way to go. I had a overflow box on my 40 breaded, and it was relatively quiet. The problem I have now is my sump water levels.... Because of little flow to quiet it down.... But everything looks fairly good in the tank, so I'll just work on the overflow box for the time being... I've attached a pic...

Also, what's the best way to do the overflow? Just acrylic and glue box to tank wall? How secure is it? Can it be done the corse of of a hour or so? Any quick set silicone reef safe?

Thanks again guys!

BearCatFish
06/25/2013, 12:22 PM
Easiest way is going to be to buy a pre-built box & install that; but they're more expensive than they're worth IMO.

I'd go to Lowe's & either buy a sheet of acrylic & a cutting tool or I'd go to a glass shop & buy the acrylic from them & have them cut it for me. Then I'd put it together (for acrylic you need a product like WeldOn to put the box together.) If you get your measurements you could also have them use glass instead of acrylic & use silicone/adhesive to assemble the box. This way is a little more involved; but it's a simple project & will save quite a bit of money.

As for installing it: You want to make sure the silicone is made for aquarium use. You can use a silicon/adhesive; but it's not necessary for putting on overflow boxes since it's not going to suffer the same stresses as an aquarium's edges.

Ideally you want to let the silicone dry for 24 hours, so I'd say maybe an hour to assemble the box & a day to let it dry; then less than an hour to install in the tank & another 24 hours to let it set on the aquarium wall. If you need to put some of the rocks into your sump so you can lower the water level. Use masking tape to hold the box into place.

Also- use acetone to clean all of the edges & areas you're going to be siliconing.

Twostepper4041
06/25/2013, 09:16 PM
Any knowledge of fast dry?