PDA

View Full Version : Projected Reef Build

G2theRam
06/24/2013, 12:43 AM
Due to saving for a new house I am probably a year away from this build but i would still like to get everyone's feedback on the equipment that I am looking at so far. Let me know if you think the set up will work well, if certain parts are overkill, or if I haven't included enough. The only thing that I am pretty stuck on is the actual aquarium. Ideally I want this aquarium to be able to host SPS, LPS, softies and Anemones

Aquarium:
Marineland 93 gallon frameless cube 30X30X24 with built in overflow (http://************.com/2013/02/19/marineland-frameless-cube-aquariums-norm-upg/)
Sump/Fuge:
Trigger systems Ruby36s
Return pump:
Due to location of equipment this will probably be the last thing that I will figure out since I plan to host filtration in separate room or closet.
Protein Skimmer:
AquaC EV240 powered by a mag drive 18
Wave pumps:
2x Ecotech MP40 (is this overkill for 93 gallons)
Lighting:
I am set on using LED, I am sold on the longevity of the systems. The three systems that I'm looking at are using two Maxspect R420r, three Kessil 350w or two ecotech radion. would really like comments on which set up people would prefer.
Controller:
I have been looking at the reef keeper elite. I like that it will integrate with most of the equipment. My biggest priority would really go to whoever has the best smartphone application by this next year. i would love to be able to change my lighting, turn pumps on or off and check on my tank from my phone.

cleverbs
06/24/2013, 08:15 AM
IMO the mp40s are way overkill in a 93cube. You only have 30" to cover and mp10s will do that just fine and give you plenty of flow. I would really push you away from doing a mixed reef. Many people try to and are not IMO successful including myself. All the amazing tanks you see online are typically sps reefs or Lps reefs. Most the time the mix of Lps and softies go fine but adding sps to that will "work" but the sps will struggle or the Lps will struggle. They like two different inviorments and one just doesn't do well in an inviorments built for the other.

I tried doing a mixed reef for 2 years and I always noticed when my sps where growing well my Lps stopes growing and via versa. Maybe I just suck at creating the balance but unless you plan on buying huge colonies to fill your tank up your frags will grow at extreamly uneven rates. Also lots of softies like leathers give off toxins that are extreamly bad for sps

I switched my mixed reef to just Lps, softies, and a anenome and I have had fantastic success with the tank, far better then I have ever had having a mixed reef.