PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my drains

maymond
06/24/2013, 07:42 AM
Ok long story short. I bought a 60 gallon cube from a friend for a very good price. He drilled two holes on the back of the tank on the bottom of the tank. Im trying to build the best drain/overflow for the holes being the way they are. Right now i have 2 stand pipes. When i filled it up to test its just way more noise than i want and its creating a tornado effect which dont look very safe , as the tank might overflow. They are 1 1/2 bulkheads. Reduced down to 1" pvc .(due to space). I need some help for a safe and quiet design. i was thinking about putting the Hofer Gurgle buster design on top of the standpipes. WHat do yall think? Any help is much appreicated. As this is the only thing stopping me from moving on.

kegogut
06/24/2013, 07:45 AM
Try reducing the flow from the return pump. It really reduced my gurgling/flushing noise down to nothing when i played with the flow a bit.

maymond
06/24/2013, 08:26 AM
Ok will try that . Mine is a mag 9.5 which is probably too much.

kegogut
06/24/2013, 08:42 AM
Im using a OR3500 which pushes 925 gph and it was too much for my 60. but I wanted the extra so I can run reactors off of it as well.

maymond
06/24/2013, 09:24 AM
Im using a OR3500 which pushes 925 gph and it was too much for my 60. but I wanted the extra so I can run reactors off of it as well.

Do you have an overflow box or something like mine?

kegogut
06/24/2013, 09:48 AM
No, I have the rimless 60,but the theory should be the same when it comes how much water can go thru the pipe at a time I would think. I have a 1 1/4 inch drain. When I have my return full strength I get a real bad gurgling/flushing noise that scares my wife to death.

I turn it down to 60-70 % and it goes away. Just something to try to help fix your problem. It might work it might not.

Is that the return on the bottom between the two drain pipes?

maymond
06/24/2013, 10:05 AM
No, I have the rimless 60,but the theory should be the same when it comes how much water can go thru the pipe at a time I would think. I have a 1 1/4 inch drain. When I have my return full strength I get a real bad gurgling/flushing noise that scares my wife to death.

I turn it down to 60-70 % and it goes away. Just something to try to help fix your problem. It might work it might not.

Is that the return on the bottom between the two drain pipes?

Ok i gotcha Im going to try that this evening. No that is my intake for my closed loop system, I have the something on my canopy that has 2 3/4 loc lines on it.

kegogut
06/24/2013, 10:20 AM
Ok,that scared me for a sec. Yea try turning the flow down that should definitely help.