PDA

View Full Version : The 'risky' stock list!

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 10:31 AM
Tank info.

Just over 2 month old 125g with proflex aqueon 55g sump Chemi pure elite x 3 in filter bags, fuge w/ chaeto & miracle mud, coralite 2x 10,000 K bulbs running 24/7, 3 ecotech radion gen 2 LEDS, SWC 180 Skimmer, 5 x hydor koralia evolution 1150 with smart wave controller, 2 x jager heater 20’’ 300WATT, JBJ ATO and artica 1/4 HP chiller, Apex controller, SWC reactor with two little fishies NPX bioplastics, live argonite SSB,103.60 LBS LR & 49.40 LBS of manufactured rock (153 LBS total). All parameters constantly at 0 salinity 1.024 and PH a little lower than I would like at 8.0 ( will slowly raise once the PH prob on the APEX is hooked up).

Current Stock List:

x20 Trochus Snail x5 margarita snail x 3 hermits x5 bumblebee snails 5-10 Cerith snails
x2 skunk cleaner x2 blood shrimp

small green acro. frag
Orange Ricordia mushroom
small cluster of green dragon eye zoas

Blue/Green chromis
Algae Blenny
Helfrichi Firefish

The Original Plan - mixed extremely reef safe stock list with feather dusters, clams etc... basically the quintessential reef. Not overly stocked (IMO :) )
Original Stock list:

1x Blue/Green Chromis (already have)
1x Purple Tang (getting this week)
2x CB Ocellaris Clownfish
2x (1M/2F) Lyretail Anthias
1x CB Mandarin
1x CB Orchid dottyback ( fridmani)
x1 Algae Blenny (already have)
x1 Helfrichi Firefish (already have)
2x Bangaii cardinals
1x Orange diamond goby

I am now thinking more/total SPS dominated with maybe exception being frogspawn or torch for the clowns if I keep them on the list. I have read a lot and want a blue girdled/majestic angel and a butterfly fish. I know I will have to give up the clam :( ( sucks because they won't be issuing permits anymore apparently) and softies etc ... ok with that.

New stock list thoughts: (keeping everything I have except for 1 ricordia and small zoa cluster)

x1 Blue/Green chromis
x1 Algae Blenny
x1 Helfrichi Firefish
x1 Purple Tang
x1 Orange Diamond goby
x1 Orchid Dottyback
x1 Mandarin
x1 Majestic/Blue Girdled Angel
x1 Blotched Anthias
x1-2 Butterfly (still researching/narrowing down)

I could scrap the clowns and Bengaiis if really too much but would like a pair of each. :fun4:

What are peoples EXPERIENCE with the following butterflies?

Top 3 probably are
Saddleback (chaetodon ephippium)
Falcula
Declivis

others

Tear drop (unimaculatus)
Mertensii
Double Saddle (ulientensis)
Black Back (melannotus)

RayL
06/24/2013, 10:47 AM
You might want to replace the blue girdled angel with a centropyge or add a butterfly or tang instead. He will probably be too big for your tank

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 11:02 AM
You might want to replace the blue girdled angel with a centropyge or add a butterfly or tang instead. He will probably be too big for your tank

Yes I know I am pretty much at the minimum tank size ... however in my research saw some articles saying 75g and one 90g! ... Its one of the smallest of the genius so that's why I went with that, I would not put an emperor or queen in a 125! Thanks for your input I am still researching

RayL
06/24/2013, 11:18 AM
Are there nice fish stores in Barrie? And do they sell any hard to find fish

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 11:39 AM
Are there nice fish stores in Barrie? And do they sell any hard to find fish

We have a big Als. He looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him to order a helfrichi firefish ...so thats fine ... I get what I want ...

I have driven as far as burlington to coral reef shop and will be getting a purple tang there, I got my chromis at Sea U marine in Markham, my algae blenny at big als barrie and my helfrichi firefish at j&laquatics.com from BC ... had to drive to the airport to pick it up ... then I went into big als with a picture of it on my phone and said, "excuse me, could you help me ID this critter I found in my tank?" We just laughed:bounce2:

humaguy
06/24/2013, 11:57 AM
a baby navarchus would be nice but you are right on the edge of tank size...they are the smallest of the large angels, grow fairly slow and are mellow but stunning fish...as babies they also tend to shift to their adult coloration quite rapidly...

9thwonder
06/24/2013, 01:37 PM
You might want to add that purple tang last. They could really be terrors once established

RayL
06/24/2013, 01:56 PM
We have a big Als. He looked at me like I was crazy when I asked him to order a helfrichi firefish ...so thats fine ... I get what I want ...

I have driven as far as burlington to coral reef shop and will be getting a purple tang there, I got my chromis at Sea U marine in Markham, my algae blenny at big als barrie and my helfrichi firefish at j&laquatics.com from BC ... had to drive to the airport to pick it up ... then I went into big als with a picture of it on my phone and said, "excuse me, could you help me ID this critter I found in my tank?" We just laughed:bounce2:

I know that feeling, I shop at big als mostly and sometimes sea U marine. My bigals actually did order me in the helfrichi, they looked at me like I was crazy when ordering it When I mentioned I was looking for a bandit angel they actually started to laugh

humaguy
06/24/2013, 02:06 PM
...and forget the mandarin...

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 03:38 PM
a baby navarchus would be nice but you are right on the edge of tank size...they are the smallest of the large angels, grow fairly slow and are mellow but stunning fish...as babies they also tend to shift to their adult coloration quite rapidly...

Have you had any problems with them nipping at SPS or cleaner shrimp?

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 03:40 PM
You might want to add that purple tang last. They could really be terrors once established

Thanks ... that was the ideal/1st plan however they are very hard to come by here locally and I am afraid the Red Sea will close and not open again in the future ... or for 7 more years anyway soon ..everyone that is getting them in said last time for awhile!

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 03:42 PM
I know that feeling, I shop at big als mostly and sometimes sea U marine. My bigals actually did order me in the helfrichi, they looked at me like I was crazy when ordering it When I mentioned I was looking for a bandit angel they actually started to laugh

Wow! well I had the last laugh ... I get what I want .. just like the water depot told me a TDS reading of 0 is impossible ... said I wouldn't get it under 5-10ppm ... Well how great did it feel to walk in with my 0.02 ppm reading! ... I said ... oh well I guess I should've rinsed the container more!

I told both places ... don't tell me its impossible, help me or get out of my way

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 03:43 PM
...and forget the mandarin...

b/c of the pod issue?

Plan to add last ... I had one in the past however ... before I even knew what I was doing! He would swim right into the water column and compete with the other fish for frozen foods and nibble on pods all day .. I had tons without trying back then ... and I want a captive bred one and will to pay double + for it to be sure.

It was one of the last fish to die off in an ich outbreak thanks to Dori

RayL
06/24/2013, 04:00 PM
If you want to consider getting a purple right now and holding it in a QT for a while, the big als in thornhill has 3 left

RayL
06/24/2013, 04:03 PM
And to all the lucky people around the world that are wondering why I said if you want to get the purple tang now and hold it in a QT for a while, it is because the fish assortment in Canada is terrible. I waited 2 years to get a purple tang, and can only assume I will be waiting about 2 years to get a small bandit angel

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 04:05 PM
If you want to consider getting a purple right now and holding it in a QT for a while, the big als in thornhill has 3 left

awesome I might check them out ... do you know the price?

I am expecting one somewhere else this week

RayL
06/24/2013, 04:09 PM
I believe its $160, but I will double check when I go in to look tomorrow. If you do want it, I will get them to put it on hold for a few days

TheValiantReef
06/24/2013, 10:30 PM
I believe its $160, but I will double check when I go in to look tomorrow. If you do want it, I will get them to put it on hold for a few days

let me know if they are small, other LFS with a bit more of a drive are cheaper ... I may have a look ... I appreciate it

RayL
06/25/2013, 04:49 AM
They are about 4 inches, retail is $180 and they are 20% off. Let me know if you want me to put one on hold

jaa1456
06/25/2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks ... that was the ideal/1st plan however they are very hard to come by here locally and I am afraid the Red Sea will close and not open again in the future ... or for 7 more years anyway soon ..everyone that is getting them in said last time for awhile!

Yea, they keep saying that here in the US, but everythim e I go I to any LFS there is at least one purple for sale. I believe they are overpriced and I have no clue why they keep going up in price. I'm sure the wholesalers they originate from has something to do with it. I'm not talking about the conflicts with Yemen as they are not the only cou try that borders the Red Sea.

TheValiantReef
06/25/2013, 09:56 PM
Yea, they keep saying that here in the US, but everythim e I go I to any LFS there is at least one purple for sale. I believe they are overpriced and I have no clue why they keep going up in price. I'm sure the wholesalers they originate from has something to do with it. I'm not talking about the conflicts with Yemen as they are not the only cou try that borders the Red Sea.

it really isn't like that though here... I had been in the hobby years and years before I saw one with my own eyes! I am fortunate there seems to be some around while I am looking for one :)

TheValiantReef
06/25/2013, 09:57 PM
They are about 4 inches, retail is $180 and they are 20% off. Let me know if you want me to put one on hold

I think I am going to wait it out for the other places ... and perhaps before I set out to get it ..call that Big Als to see if any are left ...and stop by on the way just so I know what is there/left and able to compare

I appreciate it though :)

rssjsb
06/26/2013, 08:58 AM
Have you had any problems with them nipping at SPS or cleaner shrimp?I can't speak for Ted, but my majestic has never shown any interest in SPS. I've had it for 6-7 years. It has gone after (i.e., eaten) zoanthids and anthelia. It has also nipped at gorgonians with little ill effect, but ignores SPS, leathers, frogspawn and torch colonies. HTH. I had it in a 90 for several years, but it's now in a 185 and I think it's grown since I've moved it.

TheValiantReef
06/26/2013, 09:05 AM
thanks, I think I am just going to go back to my ultra reef safe list (plan A) ... FOWLR butterfly and angels tank in the future then!

bloodstripe23
06/26/2013, 10:14 AM
nice list.

wayne in norway
06/27/2013, 07:41 AM
I have had a majestic in a reef for a while, and the only thing he's really gotten stuck into was an elegance coral. I've seen them attack those before. Frogspawn, lps, clams, all ok.

There are very few exporters from the Red Sea, basically one. If he stops again, that's it. He stopped for a couple of years 4,5 years ago, and purple tangs flew up in price.
On the upside they are tough, and mine is at least 10years old. On the downside he is also mean as heck to other fish, not just tangs