PDA

View Full Version : help with reef octopus skimmer

OU11BB
06/24/2013, 10:16 PM
having trouble dialing the skimmer in. its either too wet or no bubbles at all.

OU11BB
06/25/2013, 09:06 AM
Nobody? All of you smart reefers out there and nobody has something to say? That is in uncharacteristic of this group :)... Also wanted to add I have a ton of microbubbles that are not going away either.

Jewlover
06/25/2013, 09:17 AM
How long has the skimmer been up and running?

scuzy
06/25/2013, 09:18 AM
Which reef octopus? Most needs at least 8 inches of water to run optimal. If you are having issues setting your water level that may be the reason why. How nee is the skimmer? Micro bubbles wool go away as the skimmer breaks in.

OU11BB
06/25/2013, 10:01 AM
It's the super saver 1000, I just hooked it up Sunday. Do they take a while to break in?

Scotty1772
06/25/2013, 10:13 AM
yes, could take a day to a couple weeks...patience

wildman926
06/25/2013, 10:21 AM
6" max water level, preferred is 5.5" - 5.75".

How old is skimmer? Do you have the "new" venturi? Ask Jeremy in their forum here if you don't know.

It should skim properly from day one. The skim may get better as time goes on, from my experience.

Soflareef
06/25/2013, 11:36 AM
I have a reef octopus also. After checking to make sure I have the proper water level, all connections good, that the skimmer is seated properly, etc., it will take a few weeks to break in and the micro bubbles will work themselves out 95%. I freaked out a little bit cuz i read somewhere that micro bubbles kill fish. I had bubbles for a few days. No casualties.

It took me several hours and patience to dial mine in. I would make a very small adjustments to the tube and wait 30 min to see how that little adjustment will affect the skimmer (this is why it took so long). I would keep an eye on it and see if it started overflowing, then obviously i would dial it back, but most of the waiting for me was to get it to where the bubbles would start getting close to the overflow cup and waiting as they build on one another and get higher and higher on their own. Also, don't do anything immediately after feeding. Feeding changes the dynamics of my skimmer for a few minutes immediately after. I also added carbon for a few days and pulled it out because it also threw off my skimmer. This was just my experience. Good luck.

OU11BB
06/25/2013, 11:59 AM
I bought the skimmer about 1 year ago, but just set it up

wildman926
06/25/2013, 12:47 PM
I bought the skimmer about 1 year ago, but just set it up

Did you wash it thoroughly before use? The so called "break in" is just to allow the oils from manufacturing to be removed during the initial use if you have not fully cleaned it. It also allows a slight film to coat the skimmer internally. Regardless, it should skim as soon as you start using it, unless your bioload is too small.

HERE (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21644670&postcount=3) is a posting of someone with a brand new Octopus skimmer, and skimming like crazy after a bath and 6-7 hours of use.

Dapg8gt
06/25/2013, 12:50 PM
As above just be patient and make sure it's in the right depth.. It's recommended to just let them run close to wide open for a while to break them in (slime coat on skimmer body) to reduce the surface tension of the bubbles rising up the tube.. It will work itself out if it's setup right.. Just don't try to set it too high in the neck initially until you get used to the way it reacts to change.. Most of the time you will lose the foam head while feeding but some things cause skimmers to go crazy like epoxy on new frags etc.. Just wait it out and in a day or 3 you will be good to go ;)

OU11BB
06/29/2013, 02:19 PM
my skimmer goes crazy when I add water to the tank. I basically turn the valve completely open to keep the collection cup from over flowing into my tank and then have to start the process over.

Any solutions to this?
Is this normal?

Dapg8gt
06/29/2013, 04:25 PM
my skimmer goes crazy when I add water to the tank. I basically turn the valve completely open to keep the collection cup from over flowing into my tank and then have to start the process over.

Any solutions to this?
Is this normal?

Anytime I do waterchanges feeding or anything like that I usually turn the skimmer off.. Is it a hang on back? And also some water conditioners will make them go nuts if your using tap water..

If it's a hang on skimmer you Def should shut it off as most are sensitive to change and really are best suited with an ATO like the ozmolator or another that can be used in tank..

OU11BB
06/29/2013, 08:25 PM
I will unplug it next time and see how that goes. Its not a hang on, its a reef octopus supersaver, so its in the sump