PDA

View Full Version : Tank size question

Rochire
06/25/2013, 07:54 AM
Hello, I have a question and I wasn't sure where to ask it so I hope this is ok. My husband and I are thinking about upgrading our 75 gallon reef tank. We aren't quite sure if we want to keep it a reef or turn it into a FOWLR. We can get a killer deal on a 200 gallon tank setup that is 37 inches square the seller says. Would this be enough room for those fish like tangs, triggers ext that need 6 feet of swimming room or should we look for a tank like a 180 that is long enough? I hope that made sense, thanks so much! :0)

ganjero
06/25/2013, 08:25 AM
Hello, I have a question and I wasn't sure where to ask it so I hope this is ok. My husband and I are thinking about upgrading our 75 gallon reef tank. We aren't quite sure if we want to keep it a reef or turn it into a FOWLR. We can get a killer deal on a 200 gallon tank setup that is 37 inches square the seller says. Would this be enough room for those fish like tangs, triggers ext that need 6 feet of swimming room or should we look for a tank like a 180 that is long enough? I hope that made sense, thanks so much! :0)

That is a very debated topic...but if you want to keep surgeon fish like tangs I would recommend getting a long tank over a cube. It seems more beneficial for these fish the length of tank over the water volume. So yes, I would get a regular 180g tank over a 200g cube.

Twistofer
06/27/2013, 09:19 PM
Go with the 180...Long and wide.

Drae
06/27/2013, 10:41 PM
Standard 240 for a fowler would be awesome. 8x2x2.

azjohnny
06/28/2013, 11:31 AM

That size tank would make a great reef tank, a longer tank (72"-96") would be needed for a FOWLR

nikon187
06/28/2013, 11:33 AM
Go with the longest tank possible if you want tangs and other larger fish. Cube tanks arent really suited for the overly active fish

Rochire
07/01/2013, 01:50 AM
Awesome, thank you so much for all of the help. Maybe I will just pick up the 200 anyways and move my 75 reef into it, and expand haha! :0)