PDA

View Full Version : Adding A Second/Third Dwarf Angel...

gofor100
06/25/2013, 09:14 AM
Hey Guys,

Wanted to get thoughts on adding a second (and maybe a third) Dwarf Angel (Centropyge) to a 187 gallon (60"L X 30"W X 24"T) tank with a Potter's Angel already established in the tank.

As will all of my fish, I'll be quarantining this guy (probably a Flame Angel) for at least 4 weeks first (treating with Cupramine and Prazipro and getting him/her to eat prepared foods).

My plan was to use one of my acclimation boxes to let them get used to each other first, and then release the newcomer to the tank after any aggression subsides and at night (when the lights are off). My only concern is that my Potter's is pretty big already and most of the fish my LFS gets are smaller (juve/sub-adult).

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh492/gofor100/187%20Tank%20Pics/PottersAngel12-15-122_zps3472c460.jpg (http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/gofor100/media/187%20Tank%20Pics/PottersAngel12-15-122_zps3472c460.jpg.html)

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks,

Chad

o2manyfish
06/25/2013, 10:07 AM
Acclimation box is definitely a good idea to see how the Potter reacts.

With the box both fish are safe and you can keep the new fish safe for a week to see if the aggressiveness subsides.

Dave B

gofor100
06/25/2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks Dave! I figured this would be the best approach...

Anyone have any additional thoughts/experience with adding a second/third dwarf angel to an already established and likely larger specimen, and improving my chances that they'll get along?

-Chad

humaguy
06/25/2013, 10:37 AM
remember to go very slow with the cupramine...centropyge don't like it and often die if care isn't taken...ramp up the dosage much slower than they recommend...

gofor100
06/25/2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks Humaguy... luckily, this isn't my first rodeo. Hahaha.

I've definitely gotten my treatment regimen down to a science by now. I've successfully put a Potter's Angel, Moorish Idol, and (just recently) Powder Blue Tang (all known as "sensitive fish") through the same Cupramine/Prazipro treatment. All of them had little hunger strikes in about the 2nd week, but started eating after a day or so, and are now fat and happy.

Thanks for making sure though,

Chad

Dr Colliebreath
06/25/2013, 03:04 PM
Flame angels are FAR LESS tolerant of copper than other sensitive fish. You should read up on it before treating with copper if you go with a flame and limit the dose to .15 ppm.

gofor100
06/25/2013, 03:36 PM
Flame angels are FAR LESS tolerant of copper than other sensitive fish. You should read up on it before treating with copper if you go with a flame and limit the dose to .15 ppm.

Are you saying they are more sensitive than other Centropyge? I know that "angelfish in general" are more sensitive to copper-based treatments, and remember that back in the day, Flames and a few other angels/fish were said to be more sensitive, but have never read anything with data to back it up that Flame Angels specifically are even MORE sensitive than other centropyge. Thanks for the heads up if this is true.

Of course, people thought I was crazy when I put my Moorish Idol in a QT, much less for treating with Cupramine/copper. Luckily, my quarantine process is not "one treatment fits all fish"... I actually tailor my treatment to the more sensitive fish, and actually begin treatment at 1/4 of the recommended dose, slowly increasing it over about 4 or 5 days, and for the more sensitive fish, try to keep it around 35 to 40ppm (instead of the recommended 50ppm). I've found that this results in less of a shock.

Anyways... back on topic... anyone? Suggestions? Comments? Confirmation that my acclimation idea is in-line with what you would do?

Thanks,

Chad

rssjsb
06/25/2013, 08:20 PM
I would say that the acclimation box is a good idea (following your QT regimen, of course), but don't be surprised if there's some chasing and harassment anyway. Potters can be mean little boogers. Just be prepared if you need to intervene, but they'll probably sort it out.

On a different note, they're relatively easy to pair - have you thought about trying that? You'd want to get one that was smaller and try to find a female if possible. A spawning pair is something to see.

juice79
06/26/2013, 08:25 AM
I had a bi-color angel in my 175 for a few months. Then I added a flam and a coral beauty together at the same time. so i would suggest adding the two at the same time to help spread the aggression. I had no issues when I did it this way. Good Luck!

HumbleFish
06/26/2013, 08:46 AM
+1 for acclimation box

IMO, you should be fine with 2-3 Centropyges in a 187 gallon. I have 2 (Lemonpeel & Coral Beauty) in a smaller tank (150 gal), and after some initial scrapping; they don't bother one another at all anymore. I even added a baby Blue angel recently, and while the Lemonpeel does go after him sometimes; it's nothing serious. Good luck!

gofor100
06/26/2013, 08:58 AM
I would say that the acclimation box is a good idea (following your QT regimen, of course), but don't be surprised if there's some chasing and harassment anyway. Potters can be mean little boogers. Just be prepared if you need to intervene, but they'll probably sort it out.

On a different note, they're relatively easy to pair - have you thought about trying that? You'd want to get one that was smaller and try to find a female if possible. A spawning pair is something to see.

Yeah... I've always wanted to try that. If I can end up finding a pair, it would be a consideration, but I probably won't hold out for a pair if I find one nice one.

Thanks!

Chad

gofor100
06/26/2013, 09:00 AM
I had a bi-color angel in my 175 for a few months. Then I added a flam and a coral beauty together at the same time. so i would suggest adding the two at the same time to help spread the aggression. I had no issues when I did it this way. Good Luck!

+1 for acclimation box

IMO, you should be fine with 2-3 Centropyges in a 187 gallon. I have 2 (Lemonpeel & Coral Beauty) in a smaller tank (150 gal), and after some initial scrapping; they don't bother one another at all anymore. I even added a baby Blue angel recently, and while the Lemonpeel does go after him sometimes; it's nothing serious. Good luck!

Thanks guys!

Juice- I was thinking of adding the two angels at the same time to spread the aggression, so if I can find a nice coral beauty and flame, I'll just QT them together (I have a 60 gallon QT) and introduce them hoping the Potter's won't pick on just one. We'll see what happens!

Thanks again,

Chad

rssjsb
06/26/2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah... I've always wanted to try that. If I can end up finding a pair, it would be a consideration, but I probably won't hold out for a pair if I find one nice one.

Thanks!

Chad
Well, if it helps, my pair of potters is in with three other angels - a majestic, singapore, and multibar. BTW, my tank is the same volume as yours except that it's 30" tall instead of 30" wide - 60 x 24 x 30.

FWIW, it looks like yours is a male in my non-expert opinion.

gofor100
06/26/2013, 09:27 AM
Well, if it helps, my pair of potters is in with three other angels - a majestic, singapore, and multibar. BTW, my tank is the same volume as yours except that it's 30" tall instead of 30" wide - 60 x 24 x 30.

FWIW, it looks like yours is a male in my non-expert opinion.

Good to know! :)

Thanks,

Chad

brad
06/26/2013, 01:58 PM
Had a Apolemichthys xanthurus, Centropyge loriculus and Centropyge flavissima in my 270 for years with little to no aggression, not even added at the same time.

gofor100
06/26/2013, 04:15 PM
Had a Apolemichthys xanthurus, Centropyge loriculus and Centropyge flavissima in my 270 for years with little to no aggression, not even added at the same time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

-Chad