PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI unit with or without chloramines filter?

M.phenax
06/26/2013, 09:24 AM
I've finally decided it is time to stop hauling water home from the LFS but now, I can't figure out which rd/di system to buy.:confused:
BRS has regular systems and systems that remove chloramines. Is it really necessary to have the chloramine unit? For those who have regular ro/di systems, do you use Prime to remove chloramines, or do you not have chloramines in your tap water?

shaggss
06/26/2013, 09:31 AM
Just ring BRS and ask them and Contact your local water department and ask them if the water has chlormines in it.

M.phenax
06/26/2013, 10:07 AM
Our water does contain chloramines, and I am looking to buy a unit that removes them. However, I would like to know what kinds of systems other people have and how they address chloramine removal before I drop cash on something I don't really need.

jerpa
06/26/2013, 10:53 AM
A high quality carbon block will remove chloramines. Two may be necessary in some situations. A cheap chlorine test from pool supply stores can verify that they have all been removed. I have a 5 stage unit so it has two carbon blocks. I have never had any chloramines get through. I do change the carbon filters every six months whether or not the pressure dictates them needing replaced to be on the safe side.

M.phenax
06/26/2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for your input! Which rodi systems are you using?

Scutterborn
06/26/2013, 07:06 PM
I've always been told it 20" of carbon to remove chloramines. I.E. 2 standard 10" carbon filter blocks.

mt4sure
06/29/2013, 11:25 PM
+1 on checking your water and then making purchase. My water does not have any noticeable amount and after my 5 stage it comes out nice and clean with no traces of it but this varies from each persons water source.

Dapg8gt
06/29/2013, 11:50 PM
I also think It depends on the blocks.. Spectrapure rep told me that it is not needed with the maxcap 90 that I have due to the high quality carbon and small micron size.. I haven't noticed any negatives not using a special filter but I also change them out religiously at 6 months. I also had a 5 stage before this one that worked just as well. I have really low TDS water though 40ppm is the bad time and 15ppm is the norm don't know if that really matters how much it is treated with though .

vsiege
06/30/2013, 12:43 PM
1. Call or lookup the details about your local water.
2. Pick a 4 or 5 stage that handles Chlorine or Chloramine (handles both).
3. I use the BRS Chloramine 5 stage and it works great, call them or another Reef Central sponsor dealer (hear fire and ice is great too).

You will be happy with the unit.:bounce3:

Just keep in mind that the 5 stage unit I have takes about 20-23 minutes to make a gallon of RO/DI water.

Enjoy

Dapg8gt
06/30/2013, 02:12 PM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.php

Quality units will handle chloramine without the extra cartridge..