PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Baltimore to Florida

fishguy194
06/26/2013, 07:34 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think this is the best place for it. As my title states, I'm moving several states away. I'm planning ahead and have most of what I need already. I was thinking about a chemical concoction to add to the transport bags and want all of your opinions. What is the invert compatibility with products like Amquel and Stress Coat?

Here's my idea: pack all the animals individually in the Kordon breather bags, and then pack those into styrofoam coolers. I know they would be fine in there for a day or so, but I like to plan for worst case scenarios. So for the fish I was going to add stress coat to each bag and Amquel (or equivalent) to neutralize any ammonia produces during the trip. My concern is about the inverts. I have urchins, anemones, shrimp, corals, etc. Would they be okay if I used those products? Should I avoid it all together? Or do you guys have a different recommendation?

bertoni
06/27/2013, 01:21 AM
I'd add some Amquel. It should be fine for the animals. I probably wouldn't bother with the stress coat, but it's likely safe enough at the recommended doses, even for invertebrates.

billsreef
06/27/2013, 06:09 PM
Amquel good for both the fish and inverts. Skip the Stress Coat, no real benefit to it and it will add organics to the water which will increase the biological oxygen demand.

Russ750
06/27/2013, 08:52 PM
Agreed with both above. I've used Amquel during two moves. Not as far as yours, and can't say it necessarily did any good, but definitely no negative effects seen and it gave me a little more peace of mind.

I would add the Amquel to the water in a holding container well before you bag everything up, and aerate the water for a good hour or so at least. It can drop O2 levels when first added and I don't think it would be good to pour right into a bag and seal it. I always used rubbermaid bins for transporting critters, so I couldn't say for sure.

Might not be a bad idea to bring an air pump too (battery powered or on an inverter), just in case those bags don't work as well as they're supposed to (never used them myself) and you notice any signs that O2 is getting low.

Just my thoughts, worth price charged.