PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer...Just right or bigger

lt.smash
06/27/2013, 09:11 PM
Hi

Im starting a 65 gallon reef tank and I have a 20gallon sump with a mag9 pump. Using 3/4 pvc piping

Looking to get a Skimmer at my LFS and they only sell Octopus.(fine by me) So my question, do I get the model rated for 75 gallon or the model rated for 120?

I know bigger is most of the time better, but I just want to dbl check

Thank you

hollister
06/27/2013, 09:13 PM
The one rated.And then i would only use it 4 or 5 days a month.

tson
06/27/2013, 09:15 PM
Bigger is better

igot2gats
06/27/2013, 09:21 PM
Bigger is better

Yes, this. However, you don't want to have it rated for a crazy big tank. Otherwise, your water will be way too clean, and that's not a good thing.

I have a 75g tank, and my skimmer is rated for 70-100g I think.

Go "+1" on your skimmer, but don't go overboard.

drew2007
06/27/2013, 09:23 PM
Well how do you plan on stocking? Light? Heavy? Reef? Fish only? Which model Octopus are you looking at?

Lpoole
06/27/2013, 09:44 PM
Get the diablo. Its a great skimmer. And run it 24 7. Any reef octo is going to be a great skimmer reguardless. But id get a skimmer that's rated for 120g or 2xs your tank vol

breiter3
06/27/2013, 10:24 PM
I go for a skimmer rated double my DT. That way if there's an accident, over feed, mortality, nem power head fiasco, the skimmer can work double time and limit the damage.

And run 24/7. Never heard 4-5 days out of the month, seems equivalent to not running a skimmer at all.

lt.smash
06/27/2013, 10:28 PM
I have no idea what my stock will be, but I will be on the low side. Thats still a few months out. This will be a reef tank (fish, corals)

The model I was looking at is the Reef Octopus NWB110 4” Pinwheel
In Sump Protein Skimmer

Lord Treas
06/27/2013, 10:54 PM
I've heard lots of good things about that moddle skimmer, some people say it's loud but that's usually an easy fix.

crsswift70
06/28/2013, 06:31 AM
Most people will suggest to over skim since more of a good thing can't be bad, right? I am building a 75 display and 40B display fuge which will have an assortment of macro algae. So, i am buying a skimmer to match the display size to run 24x7. Although i am not expecting the algae to take up the bacteria in the water, i do not want the skimmer taking out all of the dissolved organics either. On top of that, my tank will mostly be LPS, softies and a clam. So again, i don't want the water too clean. Skimmers only take up certain bacteria and organics that will attach to a bubble wall. The rest it has no chance of getting. Several studies out there talking about how skimming changes the normal ratio of organisms in the water column. Is that good or bad? Who knows, but it's another reason why i don't like to "over" skim.

lt.smash
06/28/2013, 06:49 AM
Most people will suggest to over skim since more of a good thing can't be bad, right? I am building a 75 display and 40B display fuge which will have an assortment of macro algae. So, i am buying a skimmer to match the display size to run 24x7. Although i am not expecting the algae to take up the bacteria in the water, i do not want the skimmer taking out all of the dissolved organics either. On top of that, my tank will mostly be LPS, softies and a clam. So again, i don't want the water too clean. Skimmers only take up certain bacteria and organics that will attach to a bubble wall. The rest it has no chance of getting. Several studies out there talking about how skimming changes the normal ratio of organisms in the water column. Is that good or bad? Who knows, but it's another reason why i don't like to "over" skim.

That makes sense, hence my initial question.

thx

biecacka
06/28/2013, 01:59 PM
Skimmers only pull out about 30% of stuff anyway.
Buy a skimmer rated for your tank size but keep in mind most companies rate a skimmer at maximum gallons with a li to medium bio load. Depending on your bio load and feeding habits you might want to step it up a little bit but beware that a skimmer too large will NOT perform properly and in fact my underperform.

Corey