PDA

View Full Version : Sps and flow

BrentH
06/28/2013, 04:22 PM
My tanks doing great I have tons of frags and small colonies ... Every once and awhile one ofy Colonis will bleach or rtn in a spot and stop usually were its not getting light or I've been thinking it seems it happens we're its not getting good flow or current .... .... Could I be right with the flow causing rtn or does that ever happen

Arkayology
06/28/2013, 05:02 PM
Where is bleaching occurring specifically? Base, tips, all over? You mention it may be due to low light, which is common for acros as they sometimes will shade out the bottom growth and sometimes this will bleach or STN. It happens.

What kind of nutrient export are you using? Params? Pics?

BrentH
06/28/2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the reply my alk 7.6 to 8.2 bm doser using brs 205 ml a day cal at 430 mag high around 1500 I also use bowl pellets a little and gfo it's 2 tanks sharing same sump roughly 240 gallon ... 4 400 watt radiums ... I change 30 gallons a week with tropic mari pro that's what keeps my mag so high I also use reef energy by red sea

BrentH
06/28/2013, 07:12 PM
Ill get pics also bleaching usually near base or middle

BrentH
06/28/2013, 10:24 PM
Pic

BrentH
06/28/2013, 10:59 PM
Tank shot

rogerwilco357
06/29/2013, 02:57 PM
have you taken a turkey baster and blown any of your sps for aefw?

BrentH
06/29/2013, 03:31 PM
no ive been looking with flashlight ill turkey bast tonight is it easy to see them or what should i look for specifically ?? thanks for the reply

rogerwilco357
06/29/2013, 11:39 PM
pm sent
like i said I pray you don't find anything and chalk it up to alk spike or charcoal / gfo, by the way are you using Red Sea Pro salt?
good luck..

Roger

BrentH
06/30/2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the pm I tried blasting the coney and saw nothing I pulled a piece to dip and found nothing either I hope I don't have aefw .... And I've been using Red Sea reg salt and tropic Marin pro

biggles
06/30/2013, 02:09 AM
Sorry to see you're having some die off mate. I have seen damage from both lack of flow and lack of light over the years with some of my colonies. Looking at the pic of the colony and the die off i seriously doubt it's a light issue as some of the tips losing tissue are not shaded very much at all and in all cases i have seen the branches lost color and started browning prior to any tissue loss from lack of light. Have you shone a torch on that area at night when PE should be good and watched how much movement is present at the polyps, much easier to check out your flow at night with a torch and blowing some crud into the water column at the same time makes seeing the currents easy.
I have no experience with SPS pests other than white nudis i found munching away once but i have my fingers crossed for you that it isn't a pest.
Btw, that's a bloody nice tank you have there mate. :thumbsup:

DiscusHeckel
06/30/2013, 02:28 AM
Sorry to hear that you are having problems. Have you had a sudden fluctuation in your alkalinity recently? It looks as if your alkalinity level may have increased suddenly.

Rxp
06/30/2013, 05:45 AM
Had a similar problem when my alk went threw the roof when I switched to red sea salt.My sps were bleaching at the base then tissue lost began I was able to save several of my large colonies but my frags took the brunt of the die off.

rogerwilco357
06/30/2013, 01:54 PM
awesome no flatworm , I asked about the Red Sea Pro only because I tried it and found that it was putting out 17dkh and threw my tank for a spin and suffered stn here and there on my sps...should have checked the water before adding it to the tank for water change oh well always check batch water for water changes another lesson learned..

BrentH
06/30/2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the replys and ya did just replace my rox carbon and my gfo right before now that I think about it ..... It seems to have slowed down the bleaching .... I almost pulled that big colony last night and started fragging .... It's just so hard after you've grown a piece for a long time to cut it up ...I'm
Glad I didn't .. And for the Red Sea pro salt I've always wondered why they have the alk so high in that salt mix doesn't make sense to me ....

BrentH
06/30/2013, 02:48 PM
And yes my alk did increase I raised it up from 7.6 to 8.1 or so my tank started useing more than I noticed u think that's enough of an increase to cause some bleaching ?

BrentH
06/30/2013, 03:30 PM
ill try and figure out how to do a tank shot and have the pic not sideways. I have 2 tanks in 2 different rooms sharing same sump ones a 150 gallon and ones a corner tank 90 gallon both are over all doing well and no one rally appreciates them like you guys would ....lol the first thing anyone notices is nemo not the huge staghorn or big enchinata lol