PDA

View Full Version : Fed up w canister. HOB??

lbannie
06/29/2013, 05:57 AM
My canister filter is nothing but a nightmare! I had the marineland c 360, and it worked well, but the constant microbubbles drove me nuts! I re did the connections called the company and still the bubbles are there. So then I bought a Chinese canister from eBay. Worked great super quiet no bubbles. Problem there is the flow and suction. The first day after cleaning seems to work fine. Then it slacks off. Last night I fed some flakes and it didn't even suck those up!!dde01

So my question....... What do you think about putting an aquaclear 110 on my tank? (40 gal breeder) I thought I could make like a mini fuge out of it too. Is this a dumb idea? A sump is out of the question right now thanks!

Gary Majchrzak
06/29/2013, 06:05 AM
for mechanical filtration? chemical filtration? biological filtration?

Make sure to say hello in the URS (Upstate Reef Society) Forum on RC!

that Fish Guy
06/29/2013, 06:20 AM
I am told never to use Canister Filters or Hang on the Back Filters on a Reef.

They are for Freshwater only.

Although I currently use HOB Filters my LFS tells me that is why I have such an Algae issue and that I should get rid of them.

I have used them for so long though that it is a tough decision for me.

I am worried that "What if it got even worse"?

I know they pull out a ton of gunk.

On my main aquarium it looks like the Filter Pads were dipped in actual mud they get so dirty.

It was never like that in my Freshwater Days.

The LFS says just use:

Good Quality Premium Live Rock
Live Sand
Protein Skimmer

They always tell me that that is all I need for Filtration on a Reef Aquarium.

lbannie
06/29/2013, 06:20 AM
All of the above? Basically I want it to pull the crap out of the water for clearer water! Lol. I'll have to look up that group!

lbannie
06/29/2013, 06:24 AM
Fish guy- I know! Sometimes I think they just want to sell you more stuff! I put an AC 30 on my tank for fun last night with just a piece of filter fabric and this morning the pad is dirty!! I think the flow on the top of water helps too

Gary Majchrzak
06/29/2013, 06:29 AM
Fish guy- I know! Sometimes I think they just want to sell you more stuff! I put an AC 30 on my tank for fun last night with just a piece of filter fabric and this morning the pad is dirty!! I think the flow on the top of water helps toobecause an estimated 90% of scum adheres to the air/water interface, surface skimming overflows are basic good design in swimming pools and reef aquariums ;)

that Fish Guy
06/29/2013, 12:51 PM
Fish guy- I know! Sometimes I think they just want to sell you more stuff! I put an AC 30 on my tank for fun last night with just a piece of filter fabric and this morning the pad is dirty!! I think the flow on the top of water helps too

They were not trying to sell me anything.

They just said you need Live Rock, Live Sand, and a Protein Skimmer.

I already have all of that stuff.

They just told me to get rid of the HOB Freshwater Tetra Whisper Filter.

They said that I could run it for Extra Flow and to Crack the surface of the water.

They told me to take out the Filter Pad.

lbannie
06/29/2013, 02:43 PM
Oh sorry. I ended up getting an AC 110.