PDA

View Full Version : Red Tail (Sargassum) Trigger and small fish in a reef

OrrG
06/29/2013, 08:19 PM
I'm underway with a new build, GLA 165G 72"x24"x22" mixed reef. Getting my stock list together and I really want this fish to be part of it but if it's not going to work out I'll have to cross him off. For sure fish are Yellow, Blue, and Kole Yellow Eye tangs, pair of clowns, trio of Lyretail anthias, and the rest wrasses (melanaris, mystery, exquisite, lineatus fairy and mccoskers flasher) which is what I'm most concerned about.

I know the Xanthichthys Triggers are the most calm/reef safe of all the Triggers. I had a male Blue Throat in my previous tank for almost 3 years and he was the biggest baby of all, went and hid for over 10 minutes anytime I put my hand in the tank and never botherd any fish, shrimp or snails. I'd be fine with not having shrimp this time and am ok with losing some snails here and there but don't want him to be chasing any smaller wrasses around.

So what is everyones experience with the Red Tail? Do I have anything to worry about?

DopeCantWin
06/29/2013, 10:12 PM
Even without the trigger it sounds like you have way too many fish in a 165. Including the Blue Tang which this site recommends needs a minimum 240 gallon.

OrrG
06/29/2013, 11:18 PM
Fish will be fine without the extra height a 240 offers, and 14 fish in a 6 foot tank isn't even close to being too many, escpecially sense only 2 of them get very big. But thanks for lookin out for me homie. If I start a thread titled "Too many fish for a 165G?" I'll look for you to chime in.

DopeCantWin
06/29/2013, 11:25 PM
Fish will be fine without the extra height a 240 offers, and 14 fish in a 6 foot tank isn't even close to being too many, escpecially sense only 2 of them get very big. But thanks for lookin out for me homie. If I start a thread titled "Too many fish for a 165G?" I'll look for you to chime in.

The recommendation is an 8' 240, not a 240 tall playa. But sure, go ahead with your list.

footballdude2k3
06/30/2013, 01:46 AM
If you do not want criticism, a public forum might not be the best place, just sayin.

As for the fish, there are some tangs that will much on corals and some triggers that will only eat food you give them, it all comes down to the fish.

Fishfirst
06/30/2013, 05:38 AM
A red tail will most likely be fine. If I say it will be 100% then your fish will make me out to be a liar.

roenicknewf
06/30/2013, 05:51 AM
+1 fish first ..I have one with clowns and a flame hawk ..He doesn't even look at them..Very docile calm fish IME

OrrG
06/30/2013, 07:53 AM
Wasn't expecting this to turn into a your tang is too small for your tank discussion. I will PM Mays TOTM with his 27 fish and Blue Tang in his 180 and tell him he's doing something wrong. Mine as well send a message to December 2012 too, Blue Tang in a 54" tank, complete insanity I tell you.

DopeCantWin
06/30/2013, 08:22 AM
Wasn't expecting this to turn into a your tang is too small for your tank discussion. I will PM Mays TOTM with his 27 fish and Blue Tang in his 180 and tell him he's doing something wrong. Mine as well send a message to December 2012 too, Blue Tang in a 54" tank, complete insanity I tell you.

My point wasn't so much tang police, but I felt it was too many fish including that tang. If you're as good as May's TOTM, you can do whatever you think is right. You have 11 bigger swimming fish, compared to his 10, I didn't count his Chromis, Cardinals, etc. I'm not going to reply to this thread again, as you're not interested in criticism since you just go into defense mode, so it's a waste of breath.

footballdude2k3
06/30/2013, 09:05 AM
I did not know you were a marine biologist, since you know everything, why did you ask for help?

humaguy
06/30/2013, 09:10 AM
you can never trust a trig...I have had some x trigs that were real pitas so it truly boils down to the specific individual...
...and please, play nice kids...

nikon187
06/30/2013, 03:33 PM

Just because one person does something doesnt make it the ideal thing to do. EVERY tank is different. I have to aqgree with everyone here as you are already stocked with what you have. You are welcome to do whatever you want with your money, but dont ask for advise and get defensive and critical when you dont hear what you want to hear. Regal tangs should be in a larger tank then you have and what those others have. We have stickies for a reason

kv2wr1
06/30/2013, 08:49 PM
I have had blue throats and currently have a sargassum (red tail). The sargassum is a little more bold than a blue throat but not by much. Mine is in a 180 with 2 clowns, a flame angel, a powder blue tang and a porcupine puffer. The sargassum does not bother any of the other fish and does his own thing. Make sure you have plenty of flow as they like to swim in the current.

rpjaws74
06/30/2013, 10:55 PM
I have a sargassum trigger in my reef and he dont bother no one...I think you do have to keep triggers very well fed to behave thou

MrTuskfish
07/01/2013, 03:02 PM
IMO & IME, the "reef-safe" triggers are always 50-50. All triggers are predators and most will eat anything. My Sargassum will eat small fish 1" or so; I get some culled clownfish from a few breeders once in a while. He isn't with any real small fish right now, but I wouldn't trust him.

I once caught one of these guys flyfishing for dolphin (the fish, not Flipper) several miles off the Fla. Keys. He ate a fly that was about 4" long. Several hours later, we used him for bait on a kite-line and ended catching a nice sailfish. Ideal sailfish bait: hardy, flashy. natural to the sargassum mats that frequent the ocean in Fla. summer.

A long-winded way of agreeing with Humaguy above.

mr.maroonsalty
05/02/2017, 07:29 PM
Bringing back the dead for a bloke like me who refuses to not call a fish by its real name. Should have seen my non red meat eater the first time she learned she was eating dolphin.

I'm putting together a show piece list of candidates. Years ago I saw one in a 4' reef, and it made a lasting impression.

IMO & IME, the "reef-safe" triggers are always 50-50. All triggers are predators and most will eat anything. My Sargassum will eat small fish 1" or so; I get some culled clownfish from a few breeders once in a while. He isn't with any real small fish right now, but I wouldn't trust him.

I once caught one of these guys flyfishing for dolphin (the fish, not Flipper) several miles off the Fla. Keys. He ate a fly that was about 4" long. Several hours later, we used him for bait on a kite-line and ended catching a nice sailfish. Ideal sailfish bait: hardy, flashy. natural to the sargassum mats that frequent the ocean in Fla. summer.

A long-winded way of agreeing with Humaguy above.