PDA

View Full Version : Niger + fire shrimp = disaster

IansAquatics
06/30/2013, 11:51 PM
So at my local fish store there's been a really big awesome fireshrimp there for a while about 3 inches. We'll I finally had some extra money today and decided to pick him up on my lunch break. I put him in the tank an immediately my yellow tang went right to him trying to get him to clean him, which he does with my six line all the time. Then my Niger went over to check him out I figured maybe the same type thing since I've never kept saltwater shrimp before. Anyways to make a long story short I came home from work tonight to see what appears to be legs of shrimp in the sand in my tank however. My
Niger is only about 4 inches long and like said earlier my fire shrimp was probably a solid 3 inches. My nicer has also never disturbed anything else in my tank before. Also none of my fish looked abnormally full. In the past my ram and angelfish had eaten some of my cherry shrimp and it was extremely obvious they looked like they were about to explode. So using know if maybe he nipped at its antennas or what but I can't fun the shrimp anywhere and I really don't want to have to break down my tank to look for a dead shrimp if there's a possibity he's not dead. Anyways and help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

GoTRiCe19
07/01/2013, 12:25 AM
Triggers and shimp is never a good combo. Shrimp is a natural food for triggers. Dont bother finding the shrimp. Its in the belly of the trigger. One expensive meal.

Fitz19d
07/01/2013, 02:09 AM
With the huge amount of incompatibilities between different species, always throws me for a surprise how many will just randomly buy stuff and throw them together.

jgraz
07/01/2013, 04:25 AM
Don't be surprised if the shrimp shows up. Shrimp often molt very soon after a tank switch. When I added a cleaner shrimp recently I wasn't sure if it would make it past the wrasses. 1/2 hour later I found the molt and didn't see the shrimp for a few days. It's since been out all day. But they were wrasses and you have a shrimp eating machine so you never know.

johnike
07/01/2013, 04:36 AM
Last year, I got 2 fire shrimp and 2 cleaners.
Purple and Yellow Wrasse had a hunnerd dollar snack.

All my shrimps are in a separate tank now.

And Ian, please watch your language, this is a family board.

dc
07/01/2013, 04:51 AM
And please report instead of quoting. Posts removed.

crsswift70
07/01/2013, 10:13 AM
I was going to suggest a possible molt as well, however it may have just been a trigger snack. Time will tell.

IansAquatics
07/01/2013, 02:43 PM
thanks to everyone else for the constructive advice. believe it or not i did actually research it. i had seen on a lot of forums where people had kept shrimp with nigers in complete harmony. thats why i waited until i could find a shrimp that was very large. allthough i never thought about a molt be a possible reason for why i saw parts of the shrimp. i did notice today when i got up the niger has been under a rock close to where i put the shrimp at yesterday and hes just down there and not coming up so maybe the shrimp is still under there. who knows haha. anyways this was an expensive lessons learned and i appreciate everyone elses comments who were constructive. thanks