PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your corals?

MiaCoral
07/01/2013, 01:16 PM
I'm currently dosing DTs phyto.

Very interested to see what everyone else is using.

bnumair
07/01/2013, 01:29 PM
fish poop and waste on daily basis. once a week coral frenzy.

GroktheCube
07/01/2013, 02:34 PM
Rods food, Mysis, ESV phyto, and reef chili. I generally use Zoë and Selcon with them.

downbeach
07/01/2013, 03:09 PM
I make a cocktail of: Oyster Feast, Reef Roids, Reef Chili, Cyclop-Eeze and Marine Snow. I have some Blasto's, Plate's and Duncan's that also get some mysis and NLS pellets when I feed the fish.

Reef Frog
07/01/2013, 03:18 PM
What kind of corals do you keep? Many like LPS eat meaty foods like those listed above.

MiaCoral
07/01/2013, 03:22 PM
I keep Lps and zoas, just one sps ATM. I also have a clam.

Palting
07/01/2013, 03:27 PM
I used DT's phyto a few times early on, together with copepod bottles, to get the refugium going. Haven't done it in a while. IMO, phyto is the bottom of the food chain, and coral do not really eat it. Phyto serves as food, however, for the next order or organisms, like rotifers and copepods, and these are eaten by the coral.

I use Coral Frenzy once a week.

MiaCoral
07/03/2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys, im going to my LFS today to pick some of that stuff up and see what happens!

krzyphsygy
07/03/2013, 10:56 AM
Broadcast feeding my corals adds to many nutrients to my tank and causes algae blooms so I just feed my fish heavy and they poop and that feeds my corals fine. I had color issues in the beginning with corals looking pale, so I added more fish and it fixed the problem. IME feed the fish and everything will take care of itself.

Ckyuv
07/03/2013, 11:01 AM
What kind of corals are you trying to feed?

ExploitedSanity
07/03/2013, 11:14 AM
I hear a lot of people in this hobby state that fish poop seems to be the best. Why don't they make a super coral food made of fish poop?

krzyphsygy
07/03/2013, 02:21 PM
I hear a lot of people in this hobby state that fish poop seems to be the best. Why don't they make a super coral food made of fish poop?

Why buy it when its free and natural? :)

You know what though, at first that sounded funny, but now I am having flash back of the first time I bought bottled water.....that's stuffs free to and it sells like crazy.

MiaCoral
07/03/2013, 05:17 PM
Im feeding every type but SPS at the moment. Including a clam, just bought some rods food today as well.

patchesj
07/03/2013, 08:09 PM
Can I add a question? How MUCH do you feed? and how OFTEN? I think those are just as important.

Craigdillman
07/04/2013, 09:59 AM
Really depends on your tank and corals. I feed my LPS corals every night soon as the lights go out and the feeder tentacles come out, don't recommend to everyone cause some tanks cant handle the extra food and will in turn cause problems.

For how much..I usually have a mysis plankton and brine mix, put it into a syringe and squirt it into the corals mouth (candy cane, brain, acan, galaxy duncan, sun coral....) just enough so the coral accepts it turn the pumps off for 10-15 min so it doesn't get blown off

Im pretty sure they dont require I feed them every day (other than my suncoral) and sometimes i miss day but I've seen so much growth and healthy corals that i think its good

A few times a week I add marine snow and oyster eggs for the sps and filter feeders.

Just my 2 cents, Just the way i do it

Cheers

fishmate
07/04/2013, 10:17 AM
Every time I have tried to use DT's I guess I end up overdosing because I always end up having giant algae blooms. I do not use any because I too follow the methodology of feeding my fish well and have them 'fertilize' the tank. Anythying extra gets skimmed out and realistically, whenever you clean film algae off your glass, that too goes into suspension to feed your corals etc.

I hate to see when I am scraping the algae, the tangs come off for a freebie. All I can think is, if you ate it off the glass in the first place, I would not have to scrape it!

MiaCoral
07/04/2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks again, and i only us DTs once every 3 days so i havent seen any issues. My copepods population is growing alot since using it. I also turn off my pumps.