PDA

View Full Version : How much light is enough?

Craigdillman
07/02/2013, 12:32 PM
Got a Question about ramping up my lights.
Currently I have dimmable rapid led lights, had them for about 3 months now i was slow initially to acclimate the corals to it and for the last probably 2 months its been running the channels at 100% but the dimmers are set at about 1/3 of the volts they can output.Its still super bright sitting approx 11" off water 80 degree optics

The corals all look happy, sps good polyp extension great color on everything. My question is without a par meter is it worth to keep ramping up my lights slowly or if everything is happy at this level should I just keep it were it is?

Is more light always better as long as you don't burn things?

Thanks a ton
Craig

thegrun
07/02/2013, 12:55 PM
If all your corals look good I wouldn't mess with it. You may get more growth with a little more light, but on the otherhand at maximum growth rates your coloration will not be as good.

Craigdillman
07/02/2013, 02:27 PM
Ok yea I guess if its not broke dont fix it hey

Moort82
07/02/2013, 02:37 PM
Is more light always better as long as you don't burn things?

Thanks a ton
Craig

Nope too much light doesn't necessarily burn corals. At a natural maximum for the coral extra light is not beneficial to the coral as it essentially shuts down. So it really depends on the corals you are keeping and if things look good and your happy just resist the temptation to fiddle.

Constrictor6090
07/03/2013, 01:31 AM
Most the time higher kelvin lighting seems to give better colors while lower kelvins have a greater intensity. That's why high watt high Kelvin Bulbs are great! IMO