PDA

View Full Version : Orchid and Springeri Dottyback pairing

Ambition
07/02/2013, 09:46 PM
Just recently obtained two small P. fridmani (soon to be one with one on its way out as I type) and two small P. springeri (all fish are less than an inch long it appears). These should ultimately form hetersexual pairs as they mature, just not sure where I draw the line at temporary separation or if things are getting too out of hand. The springeri are similar in size, and I'm noticing tattered tail fins. Likely them working things out I believe. Just guess I want to know at what point I should separate them and how aggressive the pairing might be compared to clownfish.

Any insight or experience is welcome!

Ambition
07/02/2013, 10:15 PM
Turned the lights off now, noticed a chunk of dorsal fin missing on the springeri that has a torn caudal fin. Am I okay to assume this is them working out territory and hierarchy for now (first day together in QT)? I'll likely be adding several more pieces of PVC in the AM to give them some more territory markers and more being places for the less fortunate individual.

Respen
01/27/2020, 04:20 PM
Hey, sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but how did this go for you? I’m wondering at what point I should separate my dottyback, and for how long they aren’t acting very friendly.

ThRoewer
02/02/2020, 02:05 PM
How big are the fish and how big is the tank?
Usually you fare best with 2 that have about 10% different in length and it is best if both are still rather small.
With Orchid dottybacks it is actually possible to pick male and female by the shape of their tailfins: mature males have the lower tip significantly extended and drawn out to a point while the females' lower tailfin tip is rounded. Unfortunately, with most other commonly available dottybacks there are no such easy tells.
But the good news is that they all can change sex, both ways actually. Dominant females can become males within weeks but it may take 6 months or more for a male to change back to female and there may be substantial fighting.
The safest method of pairing dottybacks is probably by using a see-through tank divider in a rather small and sparsely decorated tank that allows them to see each other and interact without being able to harm each other. The divider can be removed once they start displaying mating behavior.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk