PDA

View Full Version : Star Question

Bvalentine92
07/02/2013, 09:57 PM
First off I have been reading these forumns for some time but this is my first post, so hello to everyone. And now to my question. I recently just started purchasing corals and when I went to feed my fish this evening I noticed a small grayish/white star fish hanging around my leather. I have no idea if it came on the rock that the leather is attached to and this is just the first time I've seen him or if he came in with my polyp. I've done some research and think that it is an asternia but I just wanted some confirmation and maybe an idea whether or not he will munch on any of my corals. Today is the first time I have seen it so I'm not sure if he has got any coral yet or not but there isn't any obvious damage I just don't want to end up losing anything down the road.

J2T
07/03/2013, 07:38 AM
Looks like an asterina to me. They have not caused any issues in my tank other than munching on coralline algae which grows back so no biggie to me. Some claim they have them eat their coral but I have not seen that at all in my tank.

rssjsb
07/03/2013, 07:49 AM
I've seen them eat gorgonians before, but nothing else. I agree most are harmless.

Bvalentine92
07/03/2013, 08:18 AM
Ok thank you, i juat didn't want to lose any of my corals but i also didn't really want to yank him out if I had to so I'll just keep an eye on things. Thanks again.