PDA

View Full Version : Tips on acclimating store bought frags from metal halides to a LED lit tanks.

Showdizzle
07/03/2013, 05:23 PM
Hey guys,

To all the LED owners out there, what are your steps on acclimating frags from a metal halide tank, to a LED lit one. Last time i tried to just "throw it in" my coral bleached in 2 days.

Lochi02
07/03/2013, 05:58 PM
Start your new additions in the shadows or on the sand. That is the only way I have had any success. Otherwise any new additions are torched in days.

bnumair
07/03/2013, 06:10 PM
i usually start them at 30% and increase them to full intensity over 1.5 months.

Touring
07/03/2013, 06:32 PM
I throw them right in.... im running 93W in a 30 gallon. Recomended and approved by me is 3 watts per gallon. i never bleached anything.

Showdizzle
07/03/2013, 07:35 PM
i usually start them at 30% and increase them to full intensity over 1.5 months.

I would hate to do that for every MH frag i want. It does seem like the safest way though.

bnumair
07/03/2013, 10:15 PM
I would hate to do that for every MH frag i want. It does seem like the safest way though.

i agree i would hate to do it for every time i bought something off MH tank. but i have a frag tank hooked to my main tank and with an extra AI Vega i acclimate new arrivals in that and then match the PAR where i am going to place it in DT then transfer.
this works if u have a dual setup like mine but if u have just a single DT setup then its best to place them on the sand bed for a week and move then few inch up every week till u reach a final resting place.

Showdizzle
07/04/2013, 01:09 AM
i agree i would hate to do it for every time i bought something off MH tank. but i have a frag tank hooked to my main tank and with an extra AI Vega i acclimate new arrivals in that and then match the PAR where i am going to place it in DT then transfer.
this works if u have a dual setup like mine but if u have just a single DT setup then its best to place them on the sand bed for a week and move then few inch up every week till u reach a final resting place.

I do only have a single DT. I'll try raising them slowly then, maybe start with a couple of hardier, less expensive specimens to see how they do. Thanks for the tips, I'll update if the acclimation process goes well.

yaridong
07/04/2013, 01:12 AM
Start your new additions in the shadows or on the sand. That is the only way I have had any success. Otherwise any new additions are torched in days.

+1

You gotta start them in the corners/shadows. I have frag racks on magnets I use to acclimate.

Touring
07/06/2013, 05:51 AM
Hey guys,

To all the LED owners out there, what are your steps on acclimating frags from a metal halide tank, to a LED lit one. Last time i tried to just "throw it in" my coral bleached in 2 days.

forgot to ask if your leds had a uv filter?

LuckyInker
07/06/2013, 06:10 AM
I throw them right in.... im running 93W in a 30 gallon. Recomended and approved by me is 3 watts per gallon. i never bleached anything.
Yeah, don't do that.

forgot to ask if your leds had a uv filter?
You do know what LEDs are, right?

Touring
07/06/2013, 07:17 AM
You do know what LEDs are, right?
i dont sorry, i was confused.