PDA

View Full Version : Calcium not depleting in my 60g reef.

Showdizzle
07/04/2013, 01:05 AM
Question for all the reef chemist gurus,

Im a little late on my biweekly 15% wc. I started mixing up some salt today in anticipation of performing a wc tomorrow. I decided to check my params before and i realized that my calcium levels have not depleted at all. In fact i was looking though my log of my very young 2mo old tank and i noticed that my calcium levels have stayed constant throughout. My readings are at 460.

My tank params are:
CA- 460
Alk- 10
Mag-1450
Nitrate - 5
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
Phos - 0

Now granted my tank is young, and i only have 4 sps frags, but i also have 5 or so nassarius snails, 5 hermits, and 2 turbos. I guess my question is if its normal that my reef isnt really consuming calcium at this point.

bnumair
07/04/2013, 01:50 AM
if ur tests are correct (no bad kits or human errors) then in a 2 month old tank with hardly any corals and coralline algae i am not surprised specially with bi weekly water changes.
mag will be the least that moves then cal. both will be just about constant.
alk being the lowest in quantity will swing the most.
i am not surprised. not yet till u start growing lot more corals and coralline.

wonrib00
07/06/2013, 08:20 AM
+1. With that list of coral, ALK and Ca depletion will be taken care of with a water change.

thereeftank
07/07/2013, 06:26 AM
I was able to maintain my ca and alk with water changes when I first started until the coraline took off. Then I had bad swings until I got a kalk reactor. Keep testing regularly.

Gary Majchrzak
07/07/2013, 06:37 AM
I guess my question is if its normal that my reef isnt really consuming calcium at this point.are your corals or corallines growing?

If the answer is YES... then calcium and alkalinity and magnesium is being depleted.