PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long?

Dreamer13
07/04/2013, 05:59 AM
Hi all,
just wondering about mixing salt water, and getting it up to temp. Is there a time limit in regards to how long you can, or should mix and heat it for? I've heard a lot about a minimum mixing/heating time of about 2-3 hours, but nothing about a maximum time.

I generally mix/heat for around 24 hours before use.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Paul.

jerpa
07/04/2013, 06:19 AM
As long as the mixing pump won't raise the temperature high enough to cause precipitation there is no maximum mixing time.

billdogg
07/04/2013, 06:19 AM
I keep a vat of fresh (ro/di) and a vat of mixed saltwater at all times (55g ea). Because I do water changes umm, well, monthly, it sits at least that long. I keep a powerhead and heater in each as well so that it is alway at temp and well oxygenated. You just never know when calamity might strike, and it is much better to be prepared.

downbeach
07/04/2013, 06:29 AM
I always keep enough fresh SW around for a WC, in case of an emergency. So, I make my fresh SW just after I do a WC, and it will sit for between two to four weeks. I keep it aerated, and circulating, but only use a heater if needed(winter), the day before I do the WC.

Good article here:

http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/salinity-mixing-saltwater/

Dreamer13
07/04/2013, 07:55 AM
Awesome, thank you all very much for the help, much appreciated!!

Cheers, Paul.

bnumair
07/04/2013, 04:52 PM
i would mix most all salts for few hours and turn all equipment off. heat from powerhead or heater or pumps will cause the alk to drop after few days. u can run an experiment. check alk after 3-4 hrs of mixing. leave everything on and then check few days later u will see a signeficent drop in alk.

tmz
07/04/2013, 10:57 PM
I always leave a small powerhead running in my mixing bin. Aeration helps paticlarly when the salt mix contains organics as many do. Heat induced precipitation is not an issue if you don't overdo it ,ime. I use small water cahnges ,so room temp is good enough . I never heat the new water but if I needed to I would do it shortly befor adding it to the tank.

Dreamer13
07/05/2013, 08:32 AM
Thanks again folks, I used to use natural sea water, but now mix my own, which even feels more rewarding! (Silly, I know).

Cheers, Paul.