PDA

View Full Version : 9011 set up

PMc
07/04/2013, 06:08 AM
Hello,

I just acquired a new 9011 skimmer for a 75 gallon tank with a 40 breeder sump. The sump is baffled to 12" so, if I am looking at this correctly, since the water level is sufficient and will not vary, I could install the fenestrated bottom plate and use this as if it were in the aquarium itself or I could install the sump kit and place it on a short stand. In the case, of the sump kit the foam sleeve becomes superfluous since the stand pipe would top out right at the water surface. It seems that the in tank configuration would be simpler and easier. is there a performance difference? Is there a reason to use the sump kit that I am overlooking?

The 40 breeder rim does not allow me to use the magnetic holder as stock. I would like to use it for convenience sake. Is there a "standoff" part available that would allow me to use the magnetic holder. I would need about 3/4". Otherwise I will just construct a small stand.

Thanks.

Mc

Craig Borowski
07/04/2013, 11:55 AM
There are really two main functional differences between in-tank use and in-sump use. The first is that when configured to be used in-sump, the skimmer can operate very consistently at varying water levels anywhere between 4 and 11 inches. Since you'll be using it in a baffled sump with constant water level, this isn't a factor for you.

The second difference is that when configured to be used in-tank, the skimmer has an adjustable level of recirculation. By sliding the intake door left to right, the skimmer can actively draw more aquarium water in, ranging from 5 to 90 percent. In most cases, people will opt to keep it wide open to filter the water more quickly. However when it is set to draw in less water it will be much gentler on plankton and pods and such, and this can be very useful in specialized systems or breeding tanks.

When it's configured to be used in-sump then the skimmer takes in 100% all the time. For most applications this is just fine and generally preferable. Though the performance difference between this and in-tank configuration with the door all the way open would be small and probably negligible.

I don't know of any stand-off that would help you magnet mount it with the trim like that. There are quite a few different mounting options explained in pages 25-37 of the manual (http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x9011.8882.pdf), but you'll probably find it easiest to just make a small stand and configure it for in-sump use.

PMc
07/04/2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the rapid reply. And the straightforward answers.

Mc