PDA

View Full Version : PM1 keeps losing contact w/base module

LouH
07/04/2013, 07:16 AM
I use a PM1 to run an IO box as well as a pH probe that controls CO2 to my calcium reactor. I have the calcium reactor's pH as readout on the display module. Starting about two weeks ago, I noticed intermittent display of calcium reactor pH on the display module, but it was always for a short duration. Starting yesterday, the PM1 loses contact with the base module for extended periods, and I awoke this morning to find it not functioning. I unplugged the USB cable, waited a couple of minutes, and then plugged it back in again. The PM1 was immediately in communication with the base module, and I was able to configure my display module to display calcium reactor pH. Within several minutes the PM1 module once again lost contact with the base module and calcium reactor pH was dropped from the display module. When I look at the LED on the PM1, it flashes green.

What is going on here? Is my PM1 module bad? Should I reboot the whole system? All other modules function properly.

Lou

aquamanic
07/04/2013, 08:02 AM
contact support. It sounds like you've got a timing problem or errors on/with your Aquabus. They can telnet into the module if that's the case and tweak the timing to resolve it.

support@neptunesys.com

schwaggs
07/04/2013, 08:24 AM
I would re-boot everything and see if that improves the situation. Also consider replacing the Aquabus cable between the PM1 and the base module.

How long is the cable to the PM1? What does it connect into?

LouH
07/04/2013, 08:31 AM
I would re-boot everything and see if that improves the situation. Also consider replacing the Aquabus cable between the PM1 and the base module.

How long is the cable to the PM1? What does it connect into?

I don't know the exact length, but it is considerably longer than 6'. It connects the PM1 directly to the base module.

LouH
07/04/2013, 08:32 AM
contact support. It sounds like you've got a timing problem with your Aquabus. They can telnet into the module if that's the case and tweak the timing to resolve it.

support@neptunesys.com

I will try the reboot first. If that doesn't work, I'll contact Neptune.

Thanks for the guidance.

LouH
07/04/2013, 08:43 AM
OK, so the reboot resulted in constant communication between the base unit and the PM1. Now the issue is that pH is being displayed as 83.4. Any idea what that is about?

LouH
07/04/2013, 08:49 AM
I spoke too soon. The PM1 lost contact with the base module, and now the display keeps changing/mixing display values, and it doesn't want to respond to manual inputs at the display module.

schwaggs
07/04/2013, 09:21 AM
Well thats not good. Is there any way you can try a different cable to connect the PM1? Even if you have to unmount it as a temporary test. This will help you determine if the cable is the culprit or if you have a bad module. You can also try connecting the PM1 cable into the EB8 instead of the base module to see if that changes anything.

LouH
07/04/2013, 09:24 AM
I did a second reboot and that fixed the display module. The PM1 was communicating with the base module initially, reading & displaying pH, but then lost contact after a short period.

I did a system self test from the display module, and it passed. The current version loaded is 4.12-5A12.

I looked at my USB cables, and I'm pretty sure that they are not part of the problem. I have an EB8 chained to the PM1, and it communicates with the base module just fine. That EB8 is at the last in a chain of communication cables. I stated earlier that the PM1 is connected directly to the base module. That was a false statement. It is actually connected to an EB8 upstream, and that EB8 is connected to the base module.

All other modules in the system (4) are functioning just fine.

LouH
07/04/2013, 09:35 AM
Well this is bad. I noticed that my peristaltic pump that doses calcium chloride was running when it shouldn't be. I manually turned off the outlet via my laptop, but the pump kept running continuously even though the status showed the outlet state as off. I went to the display module to see if I could turn it off there, but it showed the outlet state as being off also. Additionally, one of my metal halide lights just turned on when it shouldn't for several more hours. The system's time checks out OK. What is going on here?

LouH
07/04/2013, 09:39 AM
....................and now the fan and heaters are all on at the same time.

LouH
07/04/2013, 09:47 AM
For some reason the EB modules aren't responding to manual outlet settings even though my laptop and display module show a change in state.

schwaggs
07/04/2013, 09:53 AM
How many EB8s do you have?

Is the EB8 last in the string or is the PM1? Can you list everything and whats connected to what?

Sounds like your system assigned a new Aquabus number to your EB8. Can you check the old status page to see if you have too many outlets listed?

LouH
07/04/2013, 10:19 AM
OK, I have a total of 4 EB modules and one PM1 Module connected as follows:

Base Module connected to "Top Cabinet" EB8 via AquaBus

"Side Cabinet" EB4 Module connected to "Top Cabinet" EB8 Module

"Left Bottom Cabinet" EB4 Module connected to "Top Cabinet" EB8 Module

PM1 Module connected to "Left Bottom Cabinet" EB4 Module

"Right Bottom Cabinet" EB8 connected to PM1 Module

I've rebooted the entire system including turning off the breaker to the outlets in the room that power the tank, and all status LEDs are solid green with the exception of the PM1 module, which is flashing green. However, many of the outlets are not going to their fallback states, and many outlets aren't responding to manual changes to outlet status. It is completely random.

LouH
07/04/2013, 12:20 PM
I ended up uncoupling every module from the AquaBus and then turned off all power for 15 minutes. When I turned everything back on and reconnected all AquaBus cables, my PM1 module worked for 45 minutes without losing contact with the base module. When it lost contact it only did so for less than a minute, and then it functioned normally again. One observation that may or may not be significant is that this time the status light of the EB8 module downstream of the PM1 unit flashed green concurrently with the PM1 unit. Both modules regained communication with the base unit concurrently.

The EB8 module that receives all of the AquaBus cables from the other units is randomly turning on and off outlets, and does not respond to manual command settings. I'm starting to believe that all of my issues are related to that one EB8 module. It is the oldest of the group and has one outlet that just plain doesn't work.

LouH
07/04/2013, 12:35 PM
How many EB8s do you have?

Is the EB8 last in the string or is the PM1? Can you list everything and whats connected to what?

Sounds like your system assigned a new Aquabus number to your EB8. Can you check the old status page to see if you have too many outlets listed?

I looked at the list of modules in my system, and there was an EB8 module listed that does not exist. It also had a second display module listed that does not exist. I've had a second display module listed in the past, and I simply deleted it without issue.

I just deleted the nonexistent EB8 module and now my PM1 module isn't working again.

LouH
07/04/2013, 12:43 PM
OK, so I disconnected the PM1's AquaBus cable, and by default the right under cabinet EB8 module, and after reconnecting the cable the PM1 module began to work again and the system added a second display module and EB8 module to the inventory of modules on the system.

LouH
07/04/2013, 01:18 PM
I reconfigured my AquaBus cables so that all modules are connected in series to the base module with the exception of the one malfunctioning EB8 module. The malfunctioning EB8 module is now connected only to the base module. No other modules go through it via AquaBus.

When configured this way I get the same result. Each time that I unplug, and then plug back in my PM1 module (and by default a real EB8 module downstream on the AquaBus)the system puts in an EB8 module and a display module that do not exist. However, the PM1 module works when this is the case.

When I delete the nonexistent EB8 module, the PM1 module stops working.

aquamanic
07/04/2013, 02:45 PM
I still think you've got errors on the Aquabus - either you've got a module that's spewing crap out (bad module, get an RMA) or it's a simple timing issue (the Aquabus runs at 9600 baud but if a module is running at 10k then it's going to be confused) that can be adjusted online. Either way, the errors are causing all sorts of other issues including causing your controller to think it has a new EB8 and adding new modules and outlets that don't exist.

If it was me, I'd leave it alone before it gets so hosed up it stops working completely or worse - imaging your dosing pump outlet turning on and running all night because the controller thinks its a skimmer outlet. I'd email Neptune and wait for them to look at it.

LouH
07/04/2013, 03:23 PM
I still think you've got errors on the Aquabus - either you've got a module that's spewing crap out (bad module, get an RMA) or it's a simple timing issue (the Aquabus runs at 9600 baud but if a module is running at 10k then it's going to be confused) that can be adjusted online. Either way, the errors are causing all sorts of other issues including causing your controller to think it has a new EB8 and adding new modules and outlets that don't exist.

If it was me, I'd leave it alone before it gets so hosed up it stops working completely or worse - imaging your dosing pump outlet turning on and running all night because the controller thinks its a skimmer outlet. I'd email Neptune and wait for them to look at it.

I think that I agree with your recommended plan. I started the day with a module that wouldn't display a pH value. Now I have a half dozen outlets that aren't functioning properly, and I'm moving appliances around and reprogramming outlets just to keep the reef safe until I figure this out. I'm clearly in over my head at this point. My wife is thrilled.

I appreciate the help guys. Thank you. I'll post the solution so that anyone else who runs into the same problem has a case study to review.

LouH
07/04/2013, 09:42 PM
I decided to cheat and replace the PM1 module with a brand spanking new one that I had on the shelf waiting to be used in a vivarium build that I can never seem to complete.

Anyway, I goy my calcium reactor pH probe back on line and displaying its output to both my laptop and the display module, so that is all well and good. The dysfunctional EB8 module, however, is getting replaced as soon as a new one gets delivered. I'm slowly replacing EB8 modules with EB4 modules as opportunities arise. This is one of those opportunities. I have had several issues with two different EB8 modules, while I've had none with the EB4 modules.

Lou