PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy SPS

bepece
07/04/2013, 09:40 AM
Well, I did the worst thing possible and made two changes at around the same time. One is that I changed from reef crystals to coralife salt, the other is that I went from halide to AISol. SPS are not happy, everything otherwise is great. Clowns are spawning, levels are all fine. After all these years in the hobby, I am stumped. Is there anyone that has changed their salt mix and had this issue?

Any ideas are welcome!

rldcpa
07/04/2013, 09:53 AM
Its probably not the salt, though you should test your water to be sure parameters are the same.

I am thinking it is the light change. Be sure to start your LED's at 50% and increase them slowly so you don't burn the corals.

bertoni
07/04/2013, 11:15 AM
I agree that the lighting change is much more likely to be an issue, unless you got a very bad batch of salt. I'd back off on the intensity a lot, as suggested.

bepece
07/04/2013, 11:43 AM
It is strange because the first several months with the AISol, everything grew fast and colors were great. I noticed it was better than halide. All the other corals look great, no levels are out of whack. Basically, everything else is doing better than ever, and I have had some corals for several years. I have been carefully raising the intensity from 20 up to 50, as it is a single fixture over a 18x20x18 cube.

bnumair
07/04/2013, 12:50 PM
i believe lights would be the issue. i would check parameters first make sure there were no wild swings in numbers as sensitive corals dont care for large swings either.
but i lean towards the light. going from MH to Led. i would start the led at 30% and increase 1-3% per week till u reach final intensity over several weeks.
acclimation to new source of light is probably the issue.

tmz
07/04/2013, 11:02 PM
Years ago I had an issue with corals coincident with a salt change from Coral life to Reef Crystals,the one time I tried a salt other than the Coral Life. I doubt that was the cause of it though .

I don't know about leds and sps. Some folks seem to have success and some not. I'm still using halides and vho actinics with a bit of led supplementation fora little extra color.

Crusinjimbo
07/05/2013, 05:05 AM
The AI and LED lights are more intense than meets the eye, or so it appears. I started at about 30% and bumped it about 3-5% a week while watching the corals closely. I would suggest you post your testing results for a more thorough evaluation of the situation. Everyone seems to think there numbers are good. IMO