PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a tank used for turtles for holding water?

lwillis22
07/04/2013, 05:32 PM
I just bought a cheap acrylic tank to either hold salt water when I am making it for water changes or to hold my live rock and fish during my upgrade from my 125 to my 240. I didn't think to ask until I got home with it and discovered it was used with turtles. Can it still be used for fish? I have heard some say yes and some say no.

billdogg
07/05/2013, 04:54 AM
as long as you clean it well, it will be fine - IF - and it's a big IF - the tank is actually constructed to be used as a fish tank. Reptile (and turtle) tanks are usually made of thinner glass and will almost certainly fail if filled completely with water.

Ron Reefman
07/05/2013, 05:34 AM
What billdogg said. Yes, but clean it good. Rubbermaid containers and Brute trash cans work well as temporary LR containers as well. Just clean them well.

MondoBongo
07/05/2013, 08:26 AM
My tank I am using now was a snake tank in a previous life.

I just cleaned it very well with bleach, vinegar, and plenty of fresh water.

As bill and Ron said though, just make sure it was designed to hold water and that the seals are in good condition. Reptile specific tanks are often not built to hold water, and sometimes reptiles like lizards or turtles can dig at seals and weaken them

lwillis22
07/05/2013, 05:53 PM
It was definitely a fish tank. Can you really use bleach in a fish tank?

MondoBongo
07/05/2013, 06:50 PM
I can't speak for acrylic, but I have used it in all my glass tanks. Obviously following by a very thorough rinse and then overnight soak with plenty of water conditioner. Just to be sure.