PDA

View Full Version : Plants for reef tank

hessfish125
07/04/2013, 05:40 PM
Do you have any colored plants to suggest to add to my tank?

I am new to the hobby. I have a 125 gal.

Here is my fish list:
Diamond Watchman Goby
Christmas Wrasse
Carpenter Wrasse
2 True Percula Clownfish
Bangaii Cardinal
Spotted Puffer
Anenome hosting the Clowns
Blue Gudgeon Goby
Powder Blue Tang
3 Lyretail Anthias (1 male 2 female)
Foxface Rabbitfish
Flame Angel
Sailfin Algae Blenny
Longnose Hawkfish

John

jplater
07/04/2013, 09:03 PM
Never heard of the John fish

tanked37
07/04/2013, 09:08 PM
Never heard of the John fish

That's because there is no John fish. That's just his name at the end of his message. Hopefully that clears it up for you.

crsswift70
07/04/2013, 09:15 PM
Didn't i already see this thread the other day? Those tangs will eat most macro algae you put in the tank unless they are calcareous, and i don't know of any colorful calcareous besides coraline.

hessfish125
07/06/2013, 08:34 PM
Thank you. Yes I had posted this but being new to the site I could not find it again. I did not have it set up as a new thread or to send me emails. Thanks for the help.

CoralReeForrest
07/07/2013, 07:18 PM
Your corals are the plants! If you're wanting to use plants for nutrient help or the such then run them in the refugium. Hope this helps!

Ron Reefman
07/08/2013, 04:43 AM
Your corals are the plants! If you're wanting to use plants for nutrient help or the such then run them in the refugium. Hope this helps!

:uzi:I hope you meant that as a analogy? And it's a bad one to use as I know why too many people (some with marine tanks!) who think corals, especially soft flowing corals are plants. Corals are pretty animals and should be treated as such.

Palting
07/09/2013, 07:26 AM
You can have Halimeda. It is a calcareous macro algae, bitter tasting so that herbivores like tangs leave it alone. I have 4 tangs and a coral beauty in my tank that can and do decimate any algae, except the Halimeda. I have a very healthy bush growing that serves as a background to the coral, as well as help keep the nitrate down. It is a calcareous macro algae, so it will consume calcium and alk like a stony coral.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/Kalawing/Snapbucket/4D93D1C9.jpg

CoralReeForrest
07/09/2013, 05:00 PM
:uzi:I hope you meant that as a analogy? And it's a bad one to use as I know why too many people (some with marine tanks!) who think corals, especially soft flowing corals are plants. Corals are pretty animals and should be treated as such.

Mean it In the sense that unlike freshwater tanks we don't need to include plant species to make the tank attractive, as our corals already do so. Didn't mean it in the sense that you're coral is simply a simple plant.