PDA

View Full Version : UV Bulb Life

Romedizz
07/04/2013, 06:10 PM
I have been using a 9Watt Coral Life Twist 3X for years with great success.

Lately I have been keeping track of Bulb Life and it seems like I am replacing burnt out bulbs 3 times a year.

I was curious how often others burn out?

zachts
07/04/2013, 07:23 PM
flourescent bulbs shouldn't burn out that quickly. they normaly will last more than a year. likely they are getting too hot.

Romedizz
07/05/2013, 05:30 PM
UV not T5 Flour's

zachts
07/05/2013, 07:32 PM
oh, sorry, misunderstood.

But those are still flourescent bulbs, just have no phosphor coating on them, same coment applies, I have a 9watt cheapo that has been running the same bulb for over a year.

it is recommended to replace them every 6 months during continuous operation though as the bulb looses effectiveness, but it should keep running for much longer than 4 months.

Does any water get into the unit? Had that problem on a pond UV clarifier that was causing bulbs to burn out.

but usually it is heat that does them in, in a confined space.

Romedizz
07/27/2013, 07:34 PM
Good news, I contacted CoraLife and they were great! They sent me out a replacement bulb and a new Ballast for no charge, not even shipping!

Glad I use their products and recommend them to others for their support.

jaynigz
07/27/2013, 08:52 PM
how big is your tank? If you look into the used area, their are plenty of people selling the Aqua 8watt or 15watt and IMHO, they are much better than the small build in UV.

jaynigz
07/27/2013, 08:53 PM
fyi, each light bulb should last 12 months.