PDA

View Full Version : HOB Refugium

SirKevinD
07/05/2013, 01:38 AM
Hi everyone! Ok, still learning the forums and how to utilize my profile so I will give you all my tank info. 20G high, Finnex Ray 2 24', Whisper 60 power filter, Aquavia 100W heater, koralia nano 425, Aquaticlife 101 internal protein skimmer, JBJ ATO, 25# LR, 20# live sand. Tank inhabitants are Ocelaris clown, scooter blenny, dottyback, fire shrimp, 2 narcisus(sp?) snails, a ton of newly born snails/slugs? lol, carpet anemone, leather toadstool coral and a daisy coral. I just made the switch to only using RO/DI water. I want to get rid of the Whisper 60 filter and I have heard a refugium is WAY better! Is this true? should I ditch the Whisper 60 and get a HOB refugium, pros and cons? I am looking to spend maybe 250.00 to 300.00 for a HOB refugium. Any ideas on good models? what should i put in the refugium and what kind of algae should i put in it and where do i get it? Thanks so much in advance. you all are the smartest people I can turn to about these things and all your opinions are appreciated and valued.

jimlin
07/05/2013, 01:57 AM
i had bad luck with a hang on back refugium. first the hanger broke so i had a local tank builder make a heavy duty hanger so that it will never fail. couple weeks later a leak from the output tubing which spit out about 10 gallons of water onto the wood floor. lucky i was there when it happened and cleaned it all up in 20 minute time. i ordered a new output tubing and installed it. about a month later the output tube failed again and spit out about 10 gallons of water. this time the water got on the power cord and i got shocked when i tried to unplug it. i picked up as much water as i could within 2 hours, but resulted in warped wood floor. i would not go with an hang on back refugium and rather drill the tank with extra large capacity and use a in sump refugium instead.

BlindZide
07/05/2013, 04:41 AM
I do not use a refugium but I do have a sump. You can put the refugium in your sump if you have the space.

May I ask why you want a refugium?

SirKevinD
07/05/2013, 09:28 AM
Hey blind, I think a refugium would be a good idea because I've heard it's a good PH balance, algae control and I'm sure there's beneficial bacterial and things that grow that will help my tank.

BlindZide
07/05/2013, 10:02 AM
"A refugium is basically a container that has been set as a place to grow macro algae to feed hungry tangs or as a form of natural filtration. Fuges can also be set up as a place to grow amphipods/copepods (pods). Depending upon your needs, you can even use a refuge as a place to keep other creatures that you can?t keep in your main tank.

Refugiums can act as living filters to restrict growth of undesirable algae by utilizing the concept of nutrient export with other more desirable macro algae colonies living within the fuge. They also act as a farm to cultivate and grow pods so as to act like a natural food source for fish and invertebrates. A properly sized refuge can also help balance your tanks PH chemistry via macro algae on a reverse photoperiod. Just like the addition of a sump, the refuge can also add to the total water capacity of the system, making it inherently more stable."

Taken from another source, no credit due to me for this description. So it can do various things but the most looked to is Nitrates and Pods. You can tray and get it to help the PH if you size and install it correctly. It is up to you. Its basically a "Living" sump. Just needs more maintenance then just a sump alone.

unkel j
07/05/2013, 10:02 AM
I use an HOB fuge and love it. It keeps my nitrates between 0.2 and 1ppm.
It helps with po4 too. I don't use any substrate in it, just an acrylic box with chaeto algae and an LED light. I think most people use chaeto.

BlindZide
07/05/2013, 10:05 AM
I use an HOB fuge and love it. It keeps my nitrates between 0.2 and 1ppm.
It helps with po4 too. I don't use any substrate in it, just an acrylic box with chaeto algae and an LED light. I think most people use chaeto.

You can toss Chaeto into your sump as well. The whole idea of a refugium is live sand and live rock with algae and other critters to control algae and keep levels low.

I did what unkel did and put Chaeto into a Fluval 70 with I had my 30g and it helped. Haven't yet gotten any into my current setup.

cro117
07/05/2013, 11:33 AM
i highly recomend a HOB refugium with a deep sand/mud bed. the only thing your whisper is doing for you is nitrification, which is being done so much better by your LR anyway, and water flow.

a refugium will do all of the things mentioned above if setup right. if you do a 4"+ lair of sand/mud you will get the benefits of anaerobic bacteria consuming your nitrates, and if you do the cheato or caulerpa you get the benefits of oxygenation at night with a reverse photoperiod, and nitrogen/phosphate export. plus, as mentioned before, the HOB will be a breeding ground for scuds/mysid that will help feed your fish and corals.

i would also take a pic of those "snails/slugs" and post an id thread to make sure they aren't flatworms or something

Fish_King_25
07/05/2013, 02:50 PM
I have a HOB refugium in great condition, only used about 6 months and i tore my tank down and am trying to sell it if your looking for one super cheap..shoot me a PM if interested

Lateralus
07/05/2013, 09:24 PM
I had a hang on on my 29gal and loved it.

SirKevinD
07/06/2013, 12:33 AM
Well it sounds like I may skip the refugium until I get a sump. I want to expand to a 55G with a 20g sump so I just may wait.

jimlin
07/06/2013, 12:40 AM
Well it sounds like I may skip the refugium until I get a sump. I want to expand to a 55G with a 20g sump so I just may wait.
if you are thinking about a 55 gallon, why not look into the 75 gallon instead. better aquascaping options with the deeper width.

SirKevinD
07/06/2013, 12:47 AM
Jim, if the wife would let me I would be on it like syrup on pancakes. Working my up :)

jimlin
07/06/2013, 04:28 AM
well, a 40 gallon breeder is deeper than a 55 as well.

BlindZide
07/06/2013, 06:01 AM
I agree with everyone above. The 55g would be super hard at scaping. Think about your tank right now, same width but longer and taller. Not really worth the expense.

I was going to go with a 55g until I saw it side by side in a store next to a 75g. No comparison between the 2. I absolutely LOVE my 75g and wouldn't trade it for anything (besides a larger tank).

40g Breeders were my 2nd choice if I couldn't find a 75g. Nice and roomy with a TON of floor space.